timbuktu Posted September 2015

Caregivers that are trying to diet.

Follow

I am trying to see if there would be support for a new discussion thread for caregivers that are trying to diet. A place that they could immediately go to for emotional support when the will gets weak. So many of us seem to ruin our health as soon as mom/pop moves in. We forgo our own MD appts., forget to take our meds, never hear any words of encouragement,give up on our own appearance, simply cease to exist as an individual. I don't want to replace the "whine" thread, it is very important and I use it myself.Also it seems many of use due to our caregiving situation are prisoners in the house and can't go to weight watcher meetings, support groups, live in rural areas etc. This could be a place as close as your computer. I look at this site even late at night, I would love to be of help to someone that is trying to stay out of the refrigerator at 3 AM. Just thought I would throw this out there to see if there is any interest.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Comments

Show:
1 3 4 5
I'm doing low-carb, which has worked for me in the past. It works for me on several levels, actually - I seem to have an intolerance for starches and gluten, as well as sugars. I don't have celiac disease or anything like that, but grains (especially wheat) cause me to bloat, have digestive issues and if I eat enough of them, I actually start having an allergic reaction to them until they pass through my system. Completely not worth it, and low-carb/grain-free fixes that.

Once I get my pinched nerve issue taken care of, I will be walking more and exercising more. Right now I can't do much of that, but it's definitely on the list.

I'm giving myself 1 year from January 1, 2017 to lose at least 75% of the weight I need to lose before considering more drastic options (like surgery). If I am successful, surgery won't be necessary. I know I can do it, because I'm scared to have the surgery - so that's a pretty powerful motivator. I just go online and watch a few videos about the surgery and realize that candy bar, sweet treat or starchy food just isn't worth it.
(1)

SUPPORT FOR YOU HERE IN 2017 !

What is working for you to lose weight, or stop smoking?

MOVE MORE, EAT LESS IN 2017

Love,
from Sendme2help
(2)

vicky64 Apr 2016
Elizabeth, you talked about depression.. Do something that forces you to get exercise, even walking a certain distance each day will help. I don't know where you live, but the weather is just getting nice and the fresh air does one so much good in so many ways!! Hang in there!
(1)

Oh, boy. This is right up my alley. I've gained so much weight in the last year and a half of taking care of my aunt. Isolation leads to depression leads to cookies - which lead to me being out of shape and lazy, which is not good for either of us. Lately I've noticed I'm comforting myself with food and internet shopping - my own money, not hers lol - and I'm trying to learn to soothe myself with harmless things like tea or a good book. In theory. But this is really a struggle and I fear that I'm going to drop dead and leave her with nobody to care for her. Sad.
(1)

BlackHole Apr 2016
Thank you, timbuktu! Love your spirit. My attempts at reigning in my crazy eating have.....not been strong enough attempts to make a difference. Packed some apple slices and grapefruit slices in my lunch today. That way, my "fruit course" won't be Skittles! Trying to think positive and act accordingly. :-)
(1)

timbuktu Apr 2016
Love it! sendme. Actually I am fortunate he doesn't say negative things to me about my weight, we are both in the same boat. Only now he has diabetes.When he sees me limping it is just a reminder that we are both getting older and unhealthy. Have actually gotten him to check his blood sugar more often by getting him to check mine. And today have sorta of "tricked" him into getting out into the garden today to help me put some electrice tape around the bean garden to keep the dogs/horses out of them,every little step counts. Diet wise I am doing pretty good,dealing with emotional triggers is ongoing. My weigh in will be tomorrow, keeping it to Mondays,.Have joined an online diet group for some friendly competition and we weigh in on Mondays and they post the list on Tuesdays.Have read thru many of the posts today and I can feel the frustration/aggravation/anger. Please ,again, do something for yourselves,don't be a martyr.I am actually going to make a dentist appt. for myself next week, something I haven't done in 2 yrs.Just love all of y'all!
(3)

A recent study has shown that women carrying a little weight live longer than the man mentioning it.
(7)

vicky64 Apr 2016
I, too find that extra weight can make my knees hurt when I am on my feet too much. I just have to watch that I do not take too long a rest!! Hang in there! And God Bless!
(0)

timbuktu Apr 2016
I totally agree tacy,however, for right now I need the scale.It has been a wake up call. Right now the safest exercise I can do is walking and even that has been threatened by my knee pain which I am sure my increased weight has aggravated.I have trouble bending over,getting on and off the toilet, picking my legs up just to get in some shorts. I am very committed to getting this weight off and not by starving. My house is getting cleaner as I am using that as exercise at present,lots of walking and bending, taking a break when I need it.
(1)

tacy022 Apr 2016
Timbuktu, it is not good to go on a scale alot because sometimes it makes you feel worse. If you are committed to losing weight and exercising, you should take measurements and follow if you lose inches. Muscle weighs more than fat so checking pounds csn be deceiving.
(1)

1 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.

Related
Questions

Related
Articles