Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I have been fortunate to have good vets, ITRR. I would be just like you and look for someone else if I felt that my animals weren’t receiving good care.
(2)

Ali, dang it!

I have to say that my faith in vets is totally diminished. We have tried to find one that has a mediocre level of ability and we are not having any luck. It's like they couldn't care less and charge top dollar for nothing.

Our girl put a deep laceration on her back knee, you can see tendon and the vet put 3 staples in and sent her home. Within 24 hours she had torn the skin from the staples. We decided to research how to wrap this up and she is now resting quietly, thank The Lord.

Best of luck with your girl. It is so hard to not know how to help.

Great big warm hug for you. You got this!

Edit: I use arnica Montana sublingual to treat our dogs pain. Works great and relaxes them as an added bonus. No idea about cats but, worth checking out.
(4)

Pain medication doesn't work in cats like it does in people. AlI my cats on pain meds never slept until the drugs were out of their system. I can't believe the vet wasnt concerned about a mass on her stomach. I will leave it at that. I hope you get answers Tuesday.
(2)

Sp, she's had a growing mass on her tummy, which was checked a month ago, and the vet didn't seem too concerned. They checked it for cancer, and that was it.

She needs to go back to the vet asap. She may be terminal, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable, so at the very least, I'd like some pain medication for her.

I'm sorry, Need. And I get it. If Lilah's best option is humane euthanasia, I want to hold her.
(7)

Ali sorry to hear about your cat. It's possible she could have cancer. Has she had any xrays recently? I know the cancer doesnt show up until it gets to be a certain size. My cat was fine until he wasnt.

Laying by food or water bowls definately means she is experiencing discomfort if not some pain. Inability to stand could be a blood clot in her back legs.

I would get her to your vet Tuesday. Maybe the emergency vet sooner if she gets worse.

Cats sure do hide things they seem fine until they aren't. I have gad to make the euthanasia chouce with one cat and had another pass unexpectedly. Neither was easy. Whether you make the choice for them or they die suddenly both just suck and are equally as heartbreaking.

When my cat was sick with cancer he started losing muscle mass and you could feel all his bones in his spine and neck. I knew something was wrong but vet said it was just old age. A few months later an x-ray found the cancer after he had a seizure. I had 7 months with him before he started to decline. Not eating. Unable to walk properly like you described into litter box so we had puppy pads for him to go and he used those but would lay down after peeing or just lay down and pee. We gave him sponge baths and he purred and he loved those. He was also laying by his water bowl. We had to let him go last September. And our orange boy died unexpectedly this October from a heart attack.
(5)

Ali,

Is there an emergency vet nearby in case she looks like she’s in any discomfort.

My cat was getting old. She wasn’t doing well and I brought her to the vet. They told me that the vet would see her as soon as possible and that they would be in touch by phone.

He called me and said that there was nothing that he could do for her and to come back to his office.

I went to the vet’s office and he informed me that I should put her down. I was so sad and told him that she was such a good cat.

The vet said to me, “She was good to you and now it’s your turn to be good to her and not allow her to suffer.”

So, I agreed to put her down. I asked if I could hold her until the end. He said. “Of course, you can.” She died in my arms.

I cried the whole way home. My vet was so sweet and gave me a box of tissue to take with me.

It was raining horribly that day. Between the rain and my tears, I could barely see. I pulled over so I could compose myself so I wouldn’t wreck my car.
(6)

She couldn't use the litter box when I took her to it. Laid down in it to urinate. Then I pulled her out and let her poop on the floor because she was too weak to stand. She's bobbing her head into the water dish I put under her face, but she doesn't drink. I have one very sick kitty. I'm so glad I'm home today and can cuddle and monitor her.
(6)

Thank you, all. Lilah is very lethargic today.

I noticed she couldn't clean herself well for the past six months, and I wonder if it's stressing her out. She has a bald patch on her head - I think from overgrooming. I can feel every bone in her neck and backbone, which is odd because she was always a plump cat. She has mild cloudy eye discharge today. Online says it could be a virus. I don't want to miss anything that could be treatable for her, but she was just at the vet a month ago. She's never outside or around other cats.

Food/treats aren't motivating her lately.

While typing this, I heard her jump off the chair and hit the floor hard. Then she laid down on the spot, and she wasn't moving. She lay herself down, and I'm letting her be for a minute and brought her treats and water. She isn't well.

I'm just sharing. Of course, it's hard, and I wish I knew what to do for her.
(7)

Ali, I am sorry your precious kitty is rounding out her time with you. It is so hard to lose those that love us unconditionally and whom we love the same.

May you two get lots of cuddles in!
(5)

((((((Hugs)))))) ali, It's so hard seeing them decline. I pray for peace for both of you. So sorry.
(6)

Oh, Ali. I'm so sorry Lilah is not doing well. Snuggle well.
(5)

Ali,
Sorry to hear about Lilah.
Hugs to you at this difficult time.
(5)

Ali,

I love a cat’s independent spirit. I definitely think animals have souls and go to heaven.
(3)

Thank you, Need. Yes, Lilah's a sweet cuddle baby, and I'm just not ready with her. But she'll have all her favorite things until the end, and I'll give her the best kitty heaven on earth I can for as long as possible.

Gah. I'm just not ready for it to be her time. NOT READY. 😾
(6)

Our kitties become part of our family. They are so sweet.
(5)

Thank you, Glad. It just hit me tonight when I saw her eyes. I've known she was "off" but... tonight it hit me that it's preactive decline. Too many changes, she's slowing down noticeably every day.

I've been emotional about it because I'm not ready. She seems ok - not in pain, not distressed. She's changing so much, though.

Welp. Now she gets her favorite food all the time. She'll be happy about that. 😼
(6)

So sorry, Ali

I cried so much when my cat died. She was my baby.

Your kitty has enjoyed a wonderful life with you.
(5)

Hugs, Ali. So sorry.
(4)

Lilah is dying. She's had a weird year with two vet visits that turned up nothing wrong with her. She's noticeably changed and declined in the past couple of weeks. Tonight I noticed how hazy her eyes are.

I'm so very, very sad about it. I'm far sadder to be losing her than I was about Divo's decline. I get it now, how absolutely attached you can be with a pet. I love this little girl so much and everything weird and wacky about her.

I don't know how fast or how slow she'll go on her path out of this life, but she's definitely on it. Every day I notice something new, none of it good. She's sprawling out by her food dish and not moving at all tonight. I picked her up and put her in bed with me for a while, then she got up, went back by the dish, laid down, and hasn't moved.

My baby is dying. I want to keep her forever. She is and has been the perfect kitty for me. 😿
(8)

I think cats have the most beautiful eyes. They are almost hypnotizing.

The purring sound is soothing to me. My mom would say it was their motor running. I always thought that was a cute description of purring.

Golden,

Your cat watches videos? Too funny!
(3)

I've tried to make friends with neighbourhood cats but I have only ever known one cat that would come to be petted, all other cats I've encountered outdoors are wary and will run off as soon as they see me.
(3)

Cats, Cats, Cats.....
There is a new U.S.P.S. postage stamp coming out on Jan. 23, 2023 with a cute kitty and a heart. Preorder for this 60 cents stamp is $12.00, a sheet of 20
on the U.S.P.S. website. Amazon is more.
(2)

need - they have to hunt. It is their nature. Rocky has lots of food too, but she hunts and catches little creatures. Now that it's cold and she isn't going out much I put cat videos on my laptop at night. She watches them intently and tries to catch birds or whatever and looks forward to doing this every evening. It's really a substitute for hunting.
(5)

I may put a bowl of food out, FF and Golden.

Will let you know what happens.

He looked like he was eating something in the grass the other day, maybe a lizard or something.

My cats would chase after lizards and birds. They were well fed by me but I think it’s their natural instinct to hunt. My mom told me that her cat as a child would catch wild bunnies! They are amazing hunters!

I am fascinated by big cats. Tigers are my favorite! They are all beautiful though, lions, leopards, cheetahs and so on.

I love watching nature shows on National Geographic or PBS.

I am not terribly fond of zoos. Ours is a nice zoo but I hate seeing animals not living in their natural habitats. We had an incident at our zoo a few years back. The jaguar escaped from his area and ended up killing some of the other animals in the zoo.

I understand rehabilitation after an injury or conservation efforts. I hate that the circus abused animals.

Of course, when our parents took us to the circus as small children, they didn’t know about any of the ‘behind the scenes’ abuses.

Barnum and Bailey had to close their circus because people became aware and no longer wanted to support them.
(2)

That's not surprising, need. Most lost or feral cats will run away I think. They don't know that you are safe. If you provide food and water and even a shelter (box of some sort) and give kitty the space (s)he needs, (S)he may well warm up to you in time. Let the kitty come to you if you want a relationship with them. Maybe sit near the food and throw some treats, dangle a string or other toy to see if they are interested. Cats are very curious and they like routine so visit outside with the kitty the same time every day. They may well become friendly.

Rocky was essentially feral and very wary. We gave her space in one room in the house and visited her regularly. Dd was very good. She simply sat on the floor and played on her ipad, Slowly Rocky got curious and came closer to her It took weeks, even months but eventually Rocky became a very nice pet. She and I are still building our relationship.

ff - I want to say thanks to you for mentioning your cat blankets. I have put old hand towels down in a couple of places for Rocky and she likes to sleep on them so I ordered her a few velour hand towels. Towels keep the fur off the bed. She has very thick medium long hair and sheds! ☹
(4)

FF,

He’s really cute. He runs away if I approach him though.
(1)

NeedHelpWithMom, if I saw that cat, I would probably put out a bowl with a little bit of dry food, and a bowl of water.

As for trying pet a stray cat, I usually get down to their level and put out my hand for them to sniff. I would do that numerous times before attempting to pet one.

One of my cat I have now, a Shelter cat, he will scratch me if I try to pet him with my hand coming down toward his head. But he is a love bug if he comes to me on his terms. He will cuddle with me at night until he hears something outside then he is running full speed out the bedroom door to get to the patio door :)
(3)

I have noticed that a cute little kitty walking through my yard daily.

He’s adorable, solid black with white paws. If he were mine I would name him, ‘Socks’ because he looks like he is wearing socks.

He looks a little thin but I don’t know if he is a stray cat or belongs to one of my neighbors and is just wandering around the neighborhood.

I am tempted to feed him but not sure if I should.

He will not let me get close to him. He runs away when I try to get close enough to pet him.

Have any of you ever been able to tame a stray where they learned to trust you? Or have you been scratched by them if you tried to pet them?

I have owned many cats during my lifetime. They were all very sweet. I’ve never had one of my cats scratch me. I have been scratched by a stray cat when I tried to pet them.

Many years ago, before I was married. I had a neighborhood cat visit my apartment and he was super friendly. He was so funny. He came by all the time after I got off work.

When I opened up my door he would run inside and hang out with me. Then around a certain time he would go to my back door for me to let him out. I guess that he was going back home. I could see that he was well cared for and someone’s pet. I think he enjoyed being a community cat in the neighborhood.

I hate that the shelters are full of cats and dogs. When they can’t find homes for them they put them down unless it’s a ‘no kill’ shelter.
(1)

A fatty tissue lump is called a lipoma. My Mom's elderly dog is getting them. My own dog is the sibling to my Mom's (same litter) and has not developed any. People get them, too. Have you ever watched Dr. Pimple Popper on cable or YouTube? You can watch her remove them. My college roommates' Dad was covered with them and he lived to a ripe old age. No one else in his family ever got them.
(2)

Hey cat parents, have any of your kitties had a fatty tissue bump on their bellies? Online says they're common enough. Lilah has one, and it's growing, so I took her in for testing. Tests ruled out cancer, but the lump wasn't present six months ago at her other vet visit, and it's very noticeable now.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter