Follow

Does your Cat (or any pet) misbehave since caregiving your loved one?
Have you been required to take care of your loved one's pet after they have passed? Does your pet have cute antics that entertain your loved one?
And finally, has the cat or dog transferred their loyalty to your Mother?

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
I am so glad Dumbledore is better! I don't have a kitty cat right now, but in the future would love one. I tend to love calicos especially. I had a British medium-hair that looked like a Russian blue named Smokey and a calico named Dolly until I was 17. I watched them be born (they were sisters). Dolly only liked me lol. I do love cats and would like to have one named Twizzler, although I am partial to black cats to and would name one Midnight. I am watching short videos on YouTube called Cat Memes and it makes me laugh.

My cats used to like to bat at my feet in the morning while I was half awake and half asleep. It sure did wake me up! One time a real mouse got in from the house and I told Dolly and Smokey, "Well, go get it!" They blinked at me like "What, are we supposed to do something?" Some might hunters, lol
(0)

Hi, Ali! He's much better. Is eating lots of wet food, occasionally niggles at the dry stuff but eating small meals like 6 times a day. He's 11 or 12.
(2)

Hi Barb, I just saw your posts about Dumbledore. So sorry he's not well! How distressing to see him going through this. Increased eating and some weight gain sounds good... Is he still on the mend? How old is he? Hope he's doing a little better. 💙😔💙

He is such a cutie. 😻
(2)

He is such a cute kitty, Barb.
(0)

With that litter-box-sit-in you were almost certainly looking at bladder stone (which may have passed) or crystals. Keep as low ash as you can in that fancy feast, but yeah, once they have THAT you can forget the other crap, ha ha ha. They love it. Look at ash content if listed on ingredients and go with lower ones if you can and mix in just a tablespoon of water or so with each can so he keeps good fluid input to help that bladder. I would bet on this. Not a whole lot of money, of course, but I would bet.
Thanks for the update, Barb, on dear Kitty D.
(1)

I'm sorry not to have updated about Dumbledore (he's in my avatar photo now).

He's doing well. He turns up his nose at most food, but is scarfing down little cans of Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers at the rate of 3 to 4 a day right now.

He was down to 12 lbs at the vet and seems to have gained a few ounces. No other symptoms right now; really no idea what was going on there, but it was scary.

Thanks so much for all of your support and love!
(7)

Barb any updates on Dumbledore?
(1)

Barb,
How is Kitty D. doing?
(2)

Yay Dumbledore! Keep eating your food and stop worrying your Mom.
(5)

Hope Dumbledore continues to improve.
Just read this entire thread from the beginning (7 years!), and it's timely. I have Mamacita, a little Russian blue inherited from my late brother. Now she's 20 yrs old. She's blind (not a deal-breaker for indoor-only cats) and she knows her paths to food/bed/litter. Still enjoys food, cuddles, and lecturing me when I sleep later than she deems appropriate.
(3)

Good news Barb. Hope he stays well for a good long while.
(4)

Don't give dry food, Barb, esp now, and give "low ash content" food. If this is urine crystals or obstruction, then dry food would be hard right now, I think. But check with your vet.
(2)

Glad Dumbledore is doing better, Barb.
(1)

Dumbledore is doing better. He's eating canned food on his own now but won't touch the dry stuff.

I've done subq on a previous, very chill cat. Dumbledore fought the vet tech tooth and nail the other day when she gave him fluids.

Time will tell.

Happy Easter, everyone.
(5)

We take our boy to the vet for sub q fluid. We tried it at home but it was stressful and he picked up on our stress so it didn't work out well. He is getting crankier every time we take him though. The vet is nearby but the whole getting him into the carrier etc. is a pain.

I nursed a cat back to health when I was in my twenties. I heated up the baby food and spoon fed her. Sometimes giving something that has a strong smell like liver pate or tuna works cause cats have such a strong sense of smell. Even just adding some tuna juice to their regular food works sometimes. I guess it depends on the cat and what's wrong with them.

It's a struggle when our pets are ailing that's for sure. If only they could talk.
(2)

BarbBrooklyn, too bad cats can't talk to us letting us know if it a tooth ache, tummy troubles, urinary blockage, emotional issue, etc. Hope you find out what is ailing Dumbledore.
(2)

Going to look in on kitty update later, Barb. Thinking of you.
(2)

Awake at 2:30 in the morning because kitten - whom we have crated because of spay surgery Monday decided to take a 💩 outside the litter box and proceed to walk through it - though I cleaned the bottom of her feet with pet wipes and didnt see any evidence of that so hopefully it all smashed into the towel in her crate and not on her.

Next Friday kitten will be paroled and it can't come soon enough.
(1)

I hope it's something curable or at least treatable. FWIW, we've seen 3 senior kitties through kidney failure. We did "sub-q" (subcutaneous infusion of fluids) on 2 of them, and it bought them additional quality time. They started eating, drinking, playing and behaving normally--until they didn't. However, both were basically compliant and not unduly stressed out by the process. (They also enjoyed the post sub-q treats.)

Kitty #3 did NOT take to sub-q at all, and we stopped after a few weeks (she was euthanized shortly thereafter). I probably wouldn't do sub-q again. We're old-old now and probably couldn't do as good a job of it, especially if kitty was resistant or stressed. Our current very shy, skittish 14+ Y/O kitty would definitely not allow it.
(3)

Barb I hope your baby eats. We did the same thing with the baby food and we spoon fed it to him. We celebrated with every bite we got him to eat. It's one of the hardest things to go through when your cat won't eat. I hope your vet has an answer for you about what's wrong with him on Monday and he gets all fixed up good as new.
(2)

Okay, just visited my local grocery and got some baby food chicken and a couple of cans of cat food. Some of this should work, I hope.

Ali, if you're out there, wish me luck!
(5)

Sorry about your cat, Barb, but at least it sounds like he is in good hands. Hope he gets sorted out soon.
(2)

I just recalled how I found this vet back 25 years ago. I was newly separated and had a small, blind corgi/dachshund. I was gifted a large shepherd/retriever mutt (living alone in a big house in Brooklyn; this was a good idea).

I was walking in Prospect Park one morning and chanced to talk with a lady who turned out to be a neighbor. She told me about her vet who, when her elderly dog was dying, stopped by every evening to give him a shot of morphine. He's been my vet ever since.
(5)

Barb, Sorry to hear about your cat.

Sounds like a very sensible vet.
(2)

Barb, so sorry about your cat. My cat is 16 and has kidney disease. We do the subcutaneous fluids twice a week. I also give him an appetite stimulant every three days and a laxative plus something called Aventi powder which is a phosphorus binder. It's a lot of work and my boy tolerates it but if it starts to seem like it all is bothering him I will stop and let him go gracefully.

I hope you can get some answers Barb and find out what is wrong.
(5)

Vet will schedule a sonogram on Monday if no improvement. I have used this vet for 20+ years because he isn't into saving animals who are suffering. But he does his best to find out what is going on.
(5)

When my cat was dying he wouldn't eat churu or anything. Not even whipped cream - he loved whipped cream. If they can't smell, they won't eat. It sounds like your cat has something serious going on. Just because his blood work is normal doesn't mean he isn't sick. Did the vet do an xray? He could have cancer. My cat had a normal xray and then just 2 months later the xray showed cancer. It seems cats can just get major health issues out of the blue like this. I hope everything works out OK for your cat. I wish cats could talk and tell us what is wrong.
(3)

Barb,

I hope Dumbledore improves soon. Sending hugs!
(1)

Thank you ALL so much for the guidance and support. I feel like I'm lurching from emergency to emergency. And I'm not even caring for someone with REAL problems.
(4)

I sure hope your baby gets better Barb~
Churu's.the lickable bisque and the Churu bites are my cats favorite treats.
The pet stores here quit carrying them,but I found some with CHEWY.
Real tuna is pretty popular too.
I hope you find what your baby will take.
It's an awful feeling when our babies are sick and they can't tell us what's wrong.
(3)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter