Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Cats get dementia too.............Ye Gads!

My two boys are only 9 so hopefully, they are good for a while yet.

My old sweetie Hobbes had kidney disease and I had to give her subcutaneous fluids
under her skin every day for about two years until even that didn't do the trick anymore. Poor old thing must have felt like a pin cushion after a while.
(3)

FF,
There have been three elderly cats these past year, not mine. But after getting to know one, it would howl/cry each night. It is about 18 years old. So I picked it up, carried it to it's favorite place away from the maddening crowd, gave it water, and it went right to sleep each time-no more crying.
Hope yours gets comfortable.
(2)

Yikes, I though my parents were at the ER numerous times as they became older, and now my elderly cats are doing the same thing. When my folks were alive, I never had the free time to get myself to all my doctor's appointments much less my 3 elderly cats.

We have been using a 24-hour animal ER, as usual the cats will need medical attention on the weekends.... [sigh]. This morning took one cat in as she wasn't feeling well and noticeably had lost weight. Bravo, easy fix, she has hyperthyroid problem. Easy fix with pills. She wasn't real cooperative with the Staff, to which I mentioned that's probably from her dementia. As in the past, she use to be very cooperative.  Vet said she was pretty feisty for a cat of 16.

A decade ago I had a cat that her primary vet said there were signs of dementia. And sure enough, this current cat is doing the same identical thing. Yet, the other cats I have had up into their late teens didn't show any signs of memory issues. Not even their litter mates.
(1)

Sweet stories, all of them. Love it!
(2)

Tiger Cats daily routine

I use one claw to gently poke my dear friend. She knows when I need my head scratched, want food or want out. Ususally I go outside for a couple hours before I come in to eat breakfast. This annoying dog barks every time I come in the house or into a room she is at with my dear friend. I really hate this dog but I tolerate her because my friend makes sure she does not get too close to me. In the evening I come in to stay for the night, eat my dinner and wait for my friend to come to bed. When she comes to bed, she snuggles me, scratches my head and pets my all over. I purr and lick her hand and arms. If she stops to soon, I use my front paw to tap her hand to scratch me more.

Midgets daily routine

I am a small poodle and this is my domain. I guard my human friend who loves me and I am loyal to her like that.... c a t, but I am better because I am a dog. I bark at the c a t because I don't want him near my friend. He gets attention that I should be getting. I follow my friend everywhere in the house. When I need to go outside, I bark by the door. I have my friend trained to let me out, to play fetch with me and to feed me, yet.... she stills gives attention to that c a t. While I tolerant this c a t, there is this human man who lives here too. I bark and bark at him but he won't go away. I don't much like him even though he gives me treats and pets me. He wants attention from my friend and it makes me angry. I will steal his hats sometimes and hide them. I don't like to share and dont understand why my friend continues to have this c a t and human man. I don't see their purpose. I am hearing stuff about us moving away from here. I hope it is just me and my friend.
(4)

Thanks SharynMMarie.....I know the mantle will be one of the first places they climb so I'll just take everything down and shut off the other rooms but I do worry I won't be able to find them too with all the junk in this old home everywhere.They'll be 4 months old next Tuesday already.I can't believe it.
(1)

Luckylu, so cute!! I would slowly introduce them to other rooms. When we first brought Tiger home, he was about 1 year old. He would actually climb up our fireplace above the mantel to get at the second hand on our clock!! The second hand just intrigued him so much. It was funny, but we had to remove things from the mantel until he adjusted.
(1)

Thanks Gershun...It's been a lot of fun,but it's also been ALOT of work and I don't know how many hundreds of trips Iv'e made up and down the hallway, and they get into trouble sometimes...like the other night when one of 'em knocked a glass to the floor and it shattered,glass everywhere and another day,one took a window blind down and they've taken a picture off the wall.They are still in their catroom,but I can't keep 'em in there forever and I'm scared for when the day comes they are free in the house.
(1)

Lucky, you sound like a great cat Momma too. Your kitties are so lucky to have you.:)
(3)

Everyday I take the kittens outside for recess and when I bring the carrier in the room,they run inside and sit down on their own and look at me like "Ok,let's go" and I take 'em out to the frontyard.The 3 kittens are in 1 carrier and the MaMa Bootsie,is in another one.I put dandelions,little flowers,wild strawberries, and grass in their carrier and they watch the birds and cars go by and they love the wind and sun and shade and sticks.Then I bring 'em in and let 'em run in the bathroom and we have "Tuna Time" and sing and tell stories and then I take 'em back to their "Home" and they crash out.They've brought me a lot of joy and I am grateful for their Love...I am blessed.
(4)

FF you sound like a real good cat Mama! We trim our two cats claws but we do it as a team. I hold a cat in my lap, cat facing front and Hubs trims their claws. They hardly struggle since we have been doing this since they were babies.

But good for you for taking good care of your kitty. Hope your hand gets better.

Oh yeah, speaking of weight, your cat is shaped like a bowling ball and weighs as much. One of my cats is shaped like a medicine ball and feels like he weighs as much LOL
(1)

Even elderly cats have bad days. Last night I was trying to trim the nails on my 18 year old cat who had a stroke earlier this year. I was determined to get at those nails but she wasn't cooperating. So what did she do... she bit my hand. I know it was my fault for trying to put her through this nail cutting, instead of just doing one nail and leave another ones for another time.

Went to Urgent Care as 90% of cat bites can cause an infection. But I wasn't worried about myself, I was worried that the bite would be reported and the cat would need to leave to be placed in quarantine.

I've been the cats only caregiver during this stroke recovery where she re-learned to walk again, the walk isn't graceful but it gets her from point A and B. I was the one who would carry her to her food dish and hold her while she ate so she wouldn't fall over... same with the litter box.... carry her up and down the stairs. Not easy, as she is shaped like a bowling ball and weights just as much.

Bravo, the doctor found the form I filled out and shredded it, no need to worry. Whew. Now I am taking antibiotics the size of horse pills for the next ten days, and my hand aches big time.
(3)

Ah, was busy using the wastepaper basket sized shredding machine, noisy son of a gun. One cat will come into the room and plop herself down on the rug for a bath, totally ignoring the shredder. The other one looks in the door with a terrified look like I am running the lawn mower in the house :)
(2)

No free appointment Send,but I'll be taking her in for a follow up vaccine she has to get and we'll check her then unless something comes up.She did loose a stitch,I think from licking though but it looks ok so far.Even though it's been ALOT of work,it sure has been rewarding and it's like Christmas everyday,having an all black kitten.She's so dear.
(3)

It is a lot for you, too, Luckylu.

Your cat experiences will help you express all the love that is in your heart...you need that.

Sorry Bootsie is not up to speed yet. Is there a free post-surgical check-up with the spaying? Temperature taken?
Hot skin? Any signs of infection?
(1)

The kittens are happy and full of it,but MaMa Bootsie isn't feeling so well since she had to be spayed last Wednesday.The 3 kittens left are 13 weeks old today and each of them have their own "thing".Toots loves her balls and carries them and hides them everywhere and Trouble lives up to her name,always getting into trouble and my all black one,Lovee Loves to pull down Mother's hanging dresses.I never know what I'll find when I open the catroom door.I feel sorry for Bootsie going through all she has though,having 5 babies,being spayed and loosing 2 of her children.That's a lot!
(3)

I went on holiday to Hawaii for a week. My Mom and brother were looking in on the cats every day. I kept the balcony ajar just a bit for them cause the litter box was out there. When I got back from my vacation I discovered a wasp making a hive in my cat's scratching post. I looked back and remembered that before I had left for my holiday that I would be watching t.v. and see a wasp fly into my place and then just disappear. I guess it was disappearing into the scratching post. You know those scratching posts that have a little area where cats can disappear. Well, the wasp thought that was a great place to build a hive. Yikes!! I stuck a broom handle into the hive and destroyed it. Boy, was that wasp mad. I had to keep my balcony shut cause I could see that wasp trying to get back in every day. LOL
(3)

I got pics from husband about 3 years ago of his Toyota Tacoma truck parked in front of work. 2 doves had decided that the hood of his car was a perfect place to start a nest! A pile of sticks on top of his vent that he removed twice. They kept coming back with more sticks. I suggested he set off car alarm from the inside of the building when they approached - he was afraid of the bird poop if he scared them...I suggested the sticks and poop in vent would be worse. He reported later that the alarm worked.
(4)

AliBoBali, as for telling the male from the female squirrels, it's not easy... it depends on how they are standing what you can see :) What is fun is watching the baby squirrels who are old enough to leave the nest... they are like kittens the way they play. A small twig can become THE best toy ever !!

The other day I saw a baby sparrow trying out his wings for the first time... poor guy wasn't sure what to do... he was in hummingbird mode trying to keep from falling. Then he would land on the lawn, and try to fly again... once again doing the hummingbird. Then within a couple of minutes he was flying off trying to catch up with one of his parents. Amazing how quickly animals can learn to do things.
(3)

My typos are bad today, one in every post, lol!!
(1)

The day before the earthquake, my two goldfish jumped out of their bowl.

Other times, a goldfish likes to float on top of the water, never stopping to say goodbye. When raising a child, you are stuck with three heartwrenching choices:
1)  Do you ceremoniously bury it in the back yard?
2) Do you secretly replace it with a new one the same size?
or
3)  Do you flush it down the toilet and get a dog?
(2)

CWillie, you gotta watch out for those misbehaving fish...........they slam their little bodies against the aquarium, stare at you with those googly eyes........bad little fishies. :)
(3)

SharynMarie, I loved the typo in your post. You picked up the leech. LOL..........Why were you carrying around a leech? Ha, ha ha............
(1)

AliBoBali, My Spike is very smart. LOL He has me pretty well trained too. :)
(2)

I took Midget to the kennel for boarding. As soon as we got out of the car, she wriggled right out of her harness and took off running. I started yelling at her to stop, sit. She came back but when I reached for her, off she went again. I am trying to hold on to her blanket, the leach, my keys and cell phone. Finally she comes back, squats to pee, I reach to pick her up when she is done. As I struggle with a squirming dog, the blanket, and my cell.... I realize I don't have my keys!!! Panic, I told Midget, you better hope I did not lock the keys in the car again!!! I turn around to open the car door.... I see my keys laying in the dirt near where I picked her up, oh yay!!! I get her squared away and came home to shower in case I had dog pee on me, lol!!! It could have been worse🙄🙄🙄
(5)

FF, you would think the squirrel would figure out that your Jeep isn't a good stashing place... Also, how do you know it's a male squirrel? I never knew there was a way to tell the difference. 🤔
(1)

How about squirrels behaving badly. I usually put out seed and an apple for the squirrels. The apple I set on the squirrel size picnic table. There is this one male squirrel who will gnaw down the apple enough so he can lift it off the table and carry it in his mouth.

Where does he put this apple?..... he jumps onto the Jeep parked in the driveway and puts the half apple either on the windshield, the cargo rack, or jams it into the door handle. One day he shoved it into the front grill. Now, how cool is it to drive down the street with an apple in your grill :)
(3)

It works, doesn't it, Doodlinmama? Smart dog... lol
(2)

Well, my Maltipoo (very large 20 lbs) likes to smack me on the head in the morning if he needs to go outside for his business. Yep, laying there asleep and all of a sudden "bamp" there is a paw on my head. LOL
(3)

cats-dogs-bunnies-guinea pigs-budgies-hamsters-horses-snakes-reptiles.... whew, did I leave anything out?
Fishes, but I cant picture them misbehaving LOL
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter