Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
5 6 7 8 9
My Smart Watch technology now has a Cat Watch!
Moggie is a cat only health monitor that tracks your cat's activity, picking up on subtle changes of behavior that help identify potential illnesses.

The health monitor attaches to their collar and tracks your cat's behavior, translating their needs into human speak using AI. This helps to detect potential health concerns sooner to improve your cat’s health & longevity.
(1)

ariadnee -sorry about your senior male cat. Perhaps it is best if he is rehomed. Cleaning up after a cat as well as looking after your hub is too much. Nice that the grumpy old female is playing with the young ones.

Rocky distinguished herself by knocking over a large plant this morning. She has sat in it before no doubt pretending she was outside. I moved it around so hopefully she won't unbalance it again. She is using her litter boxes again faithfully for which I am very thankful!
(7)

The cat who isn't behaving is a domestic long hair. I thought he was a specific breed-as his on line pics looked a lot like a Turkish Angora (which I've owned in the past)-and my mistake, did not insist on meeting him first before we took him. He was ok the first year, got along with the two girls, but did pee occasionally inappropiatly. Chalked that up to the stress of moving here. None of my cats go outside and they can see the outdoor cats from an elevated perch-so shouldn't be too territorial in that regard.
The calming diffuser has run out. I've got the room spray. Never had headaches from it, but can understand if that happens-it does smell odd. I've used the brushes on all of the cats, so they should know each others scents fairly well by now. You're right about the territorial aspect with the boys, although the younger two aren't terribly aggresive and it seems they're being knuckle heads and messin' with the older cat. I've broken up a few arguments between them though. Which isn't happening as much. Yet....it is the peeing that's an issue and I know very, very common with this sort of dynamic. No spraying-yet. Yes, if it were girls, maybe it would be better. Otherwise, the other cats get along very well. In fact, the older, grumpy, female plays with the young guys-which is a huge change for her, as she used to hide a lot.
I'm so glad I can vent here, this is stressful for me, and as much as I don't want to re-home a cat....it's getting to be a bit much right now-cause I'm now cleaning something up (don't want to be gross here) on nearly a daily basis. If my husband didn't have dementia, and my time not consumed by caregiving, I'm pretty sure I'd be dealing with this a lot better. Sigh. I think this cat would be best suited as an only pet or at the max one other animal. He seems to have had a rough time of it as far as being re-adopted in the past, and unfortunatly it's showing.
(4)

Ariadnee, I tired the calming diffuser as our rescue cat from the shelter is a biter. She had grown up in a colony. The diffuser made her bite even more, and I noticed hubby and I were getting headaches not long after plugging in that thing.

The headaches went away after a couple days of unplugging the diffuser. I know it's not suppose to affect humans. If we could feel it, I bet the cat felt it, too.

Chances are your older cat has become territorial due to the younger males. Is he spraying? I bet if the two newest ones were females, your cat wouldn't have had any problems.

Try brushing the male cats using the same brush so they all would have each other's scent. It's worth a try.
(3)

Just need to vent....there are five cats here. Plenty of space for them in this old Victorian house. All cats are rescues, spayed and neutered. The two newest rescues are two year old males, and litter mates. A six year old male is not adjusting to them at all. I am very close to either returning him to the folks we adopted him from or re-homing him locally. There is a whole lot more to this, just trying to keep it to the point. I've worked for a Vet in the past. I've taken the cat to a good local vet and they think it's behavior issues as everything else checked out fine. He's on prescribed calming drops. I have calming spray and a calming diffuser. I use sprays to deterr bad behavior (pee 'n pooping) and....it's not working very well here. 11, yes 11 litter boxes in the basement for 5 cats, so they have plenty of choices of where to go. Yet the male in question has not been using them reguarly, even when I take him right after feeding to the boxes.
I'm caring for my husband with dementia, which will not ever get "better" and I simply can not also deal with a cat that has behavior issues on top of everything else going on here. It's just too much right now for me. As I just finished fostering two kittens and was able to give them to a no-kill shelter. I really miss those sweet girls, but it also feels great to have less on my plate as far as animal care is concerned.
Thanks for letting me vent....it's been a couple of challenging weeks here.
Comments, observations, commserations are welcomed : )
(3)

Yesterday I stumbled across a cute video of a cat playing with a balloon, they are in a hall way so the balloon bounces off the wall and is always in motion. Of course I wondered whether the cat was declawed or they had learned to keep their claws sheathed .🐈
(5)

I thought Ming had lost her rubberband, again. Haven't seen it in a couple of days. Guess I was wrong. Ming is flying through the air this morning.😄😄 I better get out of the way!
(6)

glad - Ming is having a blast. I tried them with Rocky but she isn't that interested. Right now she is really into string.

I like those too, ff, and I agree the top is hard to get off. I use my teeth which works well enough to start it so I can take the rest off with my fingers. I have used a knife too. Rocky eats about 1/3 of one of those at a time mixed with boiled Japanese sweet potato.
(4)

Regarding cat food.... I really like the Purina/Sheba petite containers of wet food that you snap apart which has an one time serving. But lately I have found opening those containers, pulling the tap, has become difficult. Don't know if it is glue being used or my hand no longer has the will to open such an item.

I tried using items from the tool box, now the needle nose pliers are tearing off the tab. Eeeeeeek. Then the only way into the petite container is using scissors or a knife.

If anyone else here is having the same problem, have you found something simple to use.

Otherwise, I am going back to the pop top aluminum can. And covering the left overs with tin foil.
(5)

Rubberband's and Ming a flying through the air!😁😁
(5)

Yes, Ming is suitably wound!😆😆
(4)

Golden, he might be mad about something. Not gone mad. LOL
(2)

Golden, sounds like Rocky might be mad or could have a urinary thing going on.

My cat Henrick is one of the most finicky cats I've ever had. We got his teeth cleaned a week and a half ago and he is just now starting to eat his dry food again. For some reason when I moved his dry food dish into the middle of the kitchen floor he started eating it. Like he'd never seen it before. Cats! sigh............
(6)

Golden, you might want to get her checked for a UTI. I have wondered how Ming would react to one of the self cleaning robot boxes. I am afraid it would scare her half to death.
(4)

Ming is going to have lots of fun with the bands,

I did a "no-no" the other day putting a small trash bin beside Rocky's automated litter box. Afterwards I found she wasn't using it but was using another place in the house that, to say the least, was not suitable as a litter box.

Before I figured it out, R said she could be taken to his friend's farm for an indoors/outdoors life if needed. I didn't like that alternative as her coat mats and no one there would brush her. She was a matted mess when I got her from the farm originally. Pumpkin's coat was longer but never matted. Rocky' has a thick coat with a very fine undercoat and she mats and gets very uncomfortable. That would be no life for her. Wasn't sure what to do until I suddenly I realized that she didn't like the trash bin beside her box. She is the fussiest of any cat I have had re her litter. It has to be in the right place in the room etc.

I moved the trash bin and set up another litter box near her old one both with new microcrystal litter which she loves and put her in the basement for a couple of days. I visited her to check things out and play a bit and she was fine and used the new litter and also the old box. After a couple of days she was hiding in corners which signifies distress so I let her out and all has been well.

She has always had a reason for going outside her box - it's not clean enough, Pumpkin left us, I gave Pumpkin's stuff away, it's not in the right location...It's for me to figure out.

I will have two litter boxes in the condo and they will be phased to get clean litter at different times. Hope she adjusts quickly. All my other cats would use their boxes regardless. Sigh! 🐱
(7)

Well, Ming lost her rubberband, but good a couple of weeks ago. I hunted and hunted.

I thought I had put extras in a basket. Found that basket yesterday, no rubberbands. Then just a bit ago I was rummaging in a kitchen drawer that holds odds and ends that I thought I would need since I have so much packed.

RUBBERBANDS! Probably 8 or 10 of them! Ming has been napping all morning. I am sure that she will be wound up a little later!🙀🙀😹😹😺😺
(7)

Rocky looks like a soft fluffy ball of orange fur until she decides a string I am dangling on her cat condo is prey and she suddenly explodes into a fierce rippling muscle, talons and teeth monster and claws her way up the side of it swinging from one level to another. And as quickly subsides to a gentle pet when I touch her. I haven't been gashed once though I am careful. Pumpkin, rest her soul, knew instinctively if she was playing with me to keep her claws in. Rocky is too much of a predator, I guess, as her claws are out in full force - not with intention to hurt me, but to catch "the prey". She is a good hunter.
(7)

Here is a link to a very photogenic bear since I can't get a Ming video.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/video/bear-in-colorado-takes-selfies-with-wildlife-cam/
(4)

She sure LOVES that rubberband! It is hilarious! 😹😹😹😹😹

Wish I could post a short video!
(4)

My cat likes the plastic tab band you pull off milk jugs. He chases them all over but eventually shoves them under something and can't get it back. Housekeeper pulled the refrigerator out to clean and there was a big collection of the bands. Bonkers thought he had struck gold and played for a long time.
(2)

OH NO! The rubber band has been missing for a couple of days. I asked Ming what she did with it. A bit later I see her sniffing between the mattress and the footboard and of course the bedding. I went to look, ran my hand between the bedding and the footboard. Guess what! Yes, the rubber band fell out. So, now Ming is getting her exercise for the first time in a couple of days. She is one happy kitty! :)
(6)

The rubber band has found its way into my bed! OMG the flipping about! Hope she doesn't land on my belly!🙀🙀
(3)

I hear some serious thumping and banging around. Ming is getting her exercise! She just loves that rubberband!😹😹
(4)

Oh, that's probably coming soon Glad. I'll keep you posted.
(3)

LOL, Gershun! If you were to use those large elastic exercise bands, I bet he would steal those!
(4)

Whenever I start my physio exercises my cat sits in front of me and watches. It's like he's trying to encourage me. In fact ever since I fell he's been watching me a lot. He stands in front of me all the time like he's trying to block me or something.

He's so sweet. My little nurse I call him. :)
(7)

Bored cat? Try those big rubberbands that are used to bundle asparagus. Ming LOVES them! And great exercise for her!

Speaking of exercise, her active times of the day are when I am doing my 9,000 steps in the house. She will chase me for awhile, then lie on the bathroom counter and paw/bat at me when I go in there to turn around! LOL!
(4)

Golden,

One of my cat’s favorite spots was hiding inside a a paper grocery store bag! She would stay in there and peer out. It was so cute!
(3)

That's inventive, ff. Rocky likes cardboard boxes. There's a small one I am going to bring with us - her fave to hide in or brush against. She has several special places where she sleeps and I am going to try to recreate them in the condo. Oh, what we do for them! lol
(5)

Also have a cat who finds cat toys boring, even a cardboard box or a grocery bag he has no interest. He's an orange/white shorthair.

But he loves brown kraft paper, like the paper that Chewy uses for packing. I smooth it out with my hands, then I roll it up with the openings at both ends large enough for him to get into. That is his man cave. He will hide in it and wait for the other cat to walk by, then zoom out he comes and the race is on.

Or put out a pile of white tissue paper. Put a catnip toy under the crumble paper. The cat will jump into the paper, hide in it, crawl under it. But after a week, he will have that all shredded. Rinse. Repeat.
(5)

5 6 7 8 9
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter