Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Ali Bo Bali — cats get puky for many reasons. Nerves are one reason. Sensitive stomach. Eating too fast. Hairballs (coughing goes with that). Eating human food. Old age. Etc.

They’re odd little animals and that’s why I love them.
(3)

OF COURSE the older one got pukey a bit ago after I posted that he wasn't doing that anymore. Hm. I'm home today so had a chance to observe what's happening. I think he has a sensitive stomach. I put out a new kind of Friskies, not the pate but "meaty bits," because it was what was at the store, and he ate it so I thought that meant it's ok for him... but might not be. He may have hairballs, too, I'm just not sure. He seems ok, just gets sick once in awhile and I'm not sure why.
(1)

I found at Chewy a wonderful looking scratching bench as my Rosie has been using the furniture as trees. It was funny, the FedEx guy rang the doorbell, sig other opened the door and in a flash there was Rosie reaching up for the door handle trying to open the storm door. Sig other said the box was for her and to just leave it outside and he will get it later.  If Rosie could talk she probably would be saying "give me, give me, it's mine, give me, give me".

I pulled out the scratching bench from the box, put it in the living room, added a tad of catnip and sure enough Rosie just walked by it :P Our old cat Charlie decided he wanted this thing and claimed it.

So where does Rosie like to scratch now? In the box this thing came in.... [sigh]. Why am I not surprised.
(5)

I was babysitting great nephew over the weekend and was amazed at the tolerance of the cat. GN has only recently started to crawl and found the corner by the cat bed fascinating, I spent a good deal of time crouched there between them warding off the worst of his attempts to grab and admonishing "gentle, gentle!" (as if he cared lol). Kitty just lay there and took it, never a hiss or a swat.
(4)

Yes Ali, it sounds as if your training is coming along nicely!

Just as a thought - you know those (I'm not being funny, this is a serious suggestion) onion-peeling glasses you can get from kitchen shops? Not suggesting you go around the house in them full-time or anything ridiculous, but as a way of finding out if it is cat dander that's setting off the itches wearing those for an evening or two could be a useful experiment.

You may find that the cats are keener on the new beds a) once their "funny" (i.e. not me or my human, thinks cat) smell wears off and b) when it's colder.
(4)

An update on les chats:

No more over drinking the water, no more feces or urine outside the box, no more puking. In other words - they seem just fine as long as I don't try to make them eat things they don't like, or use a new cat box they don't like.

Round 1 definitely went to the cats, but I'm happy to lose this one because now I know that -- they are particular, but it's not that bad. I do change up the variety of wet food from Friskies, and they'll eat different varieties. That's very good because sometimes the local store only has one kind, and so therefore that is the kind they are getting. I did order case of their food but it has been delayed so in meantime I'm learning they will eat other varieties.

They're fine. I'm fine. They're ok with some boundaries, i.e. no more kitties in bed because I don't sleep, so I shut door to bedroom sometimes. They don't seem to care. The older one is finding new perches all the time where he likes to sit. Right now he's on the chair in the bedroom but he also likes the desk.

I bought some pet beds but they were a waste of money because... cats will lay right next to them on the floor. 😆

I thought I was getting eye allergies, and was concerned it was due to the cats! After some testing, I think it's due to sweating and sweat making my eyes itchy, but I read online to wash my hands after petting cats or at least don't rub my eyes directly after!

We're getting sorted out over here. Everything seems fine. 😁
(6)

What is it with this cat today? She follows me everywhere, not just today, even into the bathroom. Well stood up, she spotted a miller on the wall, as soon as I was up she went to jump up onto the seat, nearly fell in head first! I keep the seat down, that was something new to her. LOL!
(2)

Blue Jays harassing Ming! LOL! Scared her half to death!
(3)

CM of course I meant the battery operated kind,, that Hexbug thing sounds perfect for a small dog.. And yes I know you were kidding.. LOL. I used to cringe when I had to feel DD lizard live crickets.. Oh maybe that was because I had to "touch" them...
SKG I am so sorry about Moses, It is never easy.
Chloe has discovered how to "howl" today.. laying in her bed, she just looked at the ceiling and left loose! It was hysterical!
(3)

Francisca, if you cat is limping and if he is an older cat, check to see if he has a claw that is growing back into the pad.

One of my cats, the newest member who is 12 years old is so very friendly to the tradesmen, she even allows them to pet her. And when the doorbell rings, she is reaching up trying to turn the doorknob to let them in. But if I try to pet her, oh no, not in her life time. Only thing I can think is that her previous owner was also female but wasn't user-friendly to the cat.
(3)

I wonder what's going on. Sometimes my cat has acted like he wants to go home with others who have brought me my groceries, and not stay with me. It kind of concerns me. He has rubbed his face on their shoes and has went by the door after they left and acted kind of like he wanted to go with them. I don't know if it's because he smelled other animals on their shoes or if it's because he wants their affection and wants to go with them. He hasn't been acting like he likes me too much. He got in a fight with another cat outside. The cat's name is Jerome Ephrain. My cat is Pope Leo III. He and Jerome Ephrain do not get along. I have Autism and I don't know what to do. My cat has been limping but I am hoping he is healing. They are not acting right about me concerning my disability. I need to find Leo and me a new place to live like a pole barn with amenities on a secluded piece of land. I also need to have my needs met. I could grow crops there. I want to have an old fashioned stove. I want to bake things.
(1)

SKG, my heartfelt sympathy to you and your husband for the passing of Moses. It is always so hard for us to say good-bye to our pets. It will take awhile, but then those memories will start coming back with the silly little things or really big show-off stunts that Moses would do, will bring a smile to your face.
(5)

SKG, I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose our fur babies.

CM and Pam, if you want to watch your cat go bonkers, get them a Hexbug Nano Robotic Cat Toy (search for exactly that on Amazon). It's a wee little bug-like toy with a furry tail that skitters around the floor like a live bug. My cat was HISSING at it when he first saw it. LOL

Big 15-lb cat, backed into a corner by a 2" robotic bug. LOL
(4)

Well, we said goodbye to our sweet Momo (Moses) on Saturday. I was afraid I'd back out at the last minute but the vet said that Momo was actually in much worse shape than he'd been a couple of weeks before. I suspect he was overplaying it a little, to make me feel better. Usually a kind of curmudgeon, he was so kind to me and my daughter--assuring us that we had done far, far more than anyone could be expected to do for our little guy, and that we were some of the best pet owners he's known (he's 82).

But strangely, I wasn't doubting myself. I knew I'd made the right choice. Now to get through the extremely unsettling sensation of relief that I no longer have to contend with constant cleaning, injections, and expense, but whenever I feel that relief, I also feel sad. It's like my feelings are laminated; pain, pleasure, sorrow, relief, guilt, nostalgia, and missing him big time. Repeat.

Anyway, that sweet boy was my first pet. His brother joined us a few months later. Then his brother had to be euthanized with a huge tumor, and Momo had to leave us because of bowel disease and lymphoma.

With my husband needing so much care and my children long grown and off living their own lives, I will now be pet free for the rest of my life. All told, those 13 years of living with animals were pretty wonderful, and I learned a lot. And I'm okay with going on without them now. (Except for a little weep now and then.)
(3)

My lovely cat Todd, three years old when we got our first dog, discovered Eukanuba Puppy and asserted his right to eat first at meal times. I swear that stuff's got steroids in it - he looked like a small lynx by the time we moved on to adult dog food.
(3)

Pam you wicked woman!!!!!!!

My sister offered to take a litter of baby white mice off a colleague. For a similar reason. When she realised what the plan was the colleague was outraged.

Oh! - Do you mean a battery-operated toy gerbil, or a live one raised intensively?
(1)

CM that is hysterical,, thank you!! Our Chloe pup got spayed 5 days ago.. with all the keep her calm, etc warnings.. Nope , not having that! Have not needed the cone,, she is not overlicking, but she is just as bouncy as ever! She has a blanket fetish, even with 4 of her own and the other dogs,, she keeps dragging big blankets from other rooms all over the house. We think she is bored. I actually considered getting one of those battery gerbils that kids play with. God help me!
(3)

Thanks, you guys! I appreciate all these good BTDT tips. There was a point yesterday where I was ready to put them on the street with a "FREE TO GOOD HOME" sign lol. (Not really, but we're still figuring some things out, for sure.)
(2)

CM, very funny cat book!  Very true...  

Divo and Delilah have shared a household for many years. They had much more space before, though, so now it's close quarters...

...and this is why giving them separate litter boxes or separate anything is difficult, as space is limited.  I'm already scratching my head as to where their crate is going to be stored. But they get along well enough that they'll hide out in the same closet, in very close space together.

And I'm ok with them taking time to adjust. I'm not ok with urine, feces, and vomit, but I didn't realize how particular the older one is when it comes to his needs. NO weird food, NO new type of litter box (and I bought the scented litter and I'm considering he may not like it...), NO NO NO. Or else. lol

Their old mom came by this morning and brought their old litter box, a high-walled step-in box that will work for what I want (to keep litter relatively contained) and obviously they are used to it. I think the three of us - me and 2 cats - are going to be just fine, but it is a process, like FF said.

And maybe the older one does have some health issues.  Me and his old mom talked about this.  I need another week, at least, to observe when he has the right food and his old litter box.  
(3)

AliBoBali, it can take months for a new adult cat to adjust to a new home, all the new smells, new noises, and who is this human that now has us. My Rosie took 6 months before she has finally adjusted as she was 12 when we got her in December.

If you have 2 cats you really need to have 3 litter boxes, the open kind, and no scented litter, all my cats had dislike the scented stuff. I used Cat Pride clumping litter that comes in the lime green plastic bottle. And I need to scoop out whatever at least twice a day. I found just moving one of the litter boxes to a more private location had helped, my older cat didn't like having the new cat watch him when he was in the litter box :P

For cat food, thankfully the previous owner told the SPCA that the cat liked the Iams Hairball Control, being she is a Norwegian Forest Cat, she has a lot of hair. She also will now eat Purina One hairball control and "maturity" selections. Boy, that hairball food really does work !!

The hard part of a new adult cat is to find a place that they like to sleep. Rosie must have tried 30 different places until she finally settled on one. But I need to change her blanket every couple of days. When my old guy Charlie, 18, slept on it the other day, she refused to use the sleeping place, guess she didn't like that old man smell :P I had to get out a new blanket for her.

Rosie likes playing with the clothes-line rope. I will drag it behind me and she will attack it. She started to warm up to me once I started doing that. Rosie really likes my sig other, he's the only one that can brush her, which is usually 6 times a day. And catnip, there is this one cloth small toy that has capnip sewn into it, both cats like it.
(4)

Ali, was Divo an only cat before he came to live with you? With all the upheaval, and the change in territory, the litter box problems may be his marking out his space or it may be that he's been looking for extra privacy. I'd try having two litter boxes, physically putting each cat in his own box a few times, and make sure they are shielded from public view - accessible but not overlooked.

Your posts made me run upstairs to fetch "French For Cats" by Henry Beard, looking for the chapter on "The Play - Le Jeu."

We have The Cat Toys - Les Jouets de Chats, including the rubber mouse, the cloth mouse, the ball of yarn, and the ball with a bell in it.

The cat toys are boring.
Les jouets de chats sont ennuyeux.

Let us turn to

The Things That Are Not, Strictly Speaking, Cat Toys, But Which Nevertheless Have Great Play Value.

Les Choses Qui Ne Sont Pas, à Proprement Parler, des Jouets de Chats, Mais Qui Ont Tout de Même une Grande Valeur pour le Jeu.

The Vase - Le Vase.
The Lamp - La Lampe.
The Knickknack - Le Bibelot.
The Little Crystal Candy Dish - Le Petit Plat en Cristal Rempli de Bonbons.

I like to play with things that are not, strictly speaking, cat toys...
J'aime jouer avec les choses qui ne sont pas, à proprement parler, des jouets de chats...

Alas, they are not very durable.
C'est la vie.
(1)

Ali,
Cats can be very strange sometimes.

A sudden food change can cause vomiting. Not always but sometimes. Eating too much at a time can cause vomiting. I have to feed the recommended amount but spread out throughout the day.

Urinating and/or pooping outside the litter box could be from changing the style of litter box, changing the brand of litter, or not cleaning the litter box often enough. Do you have a litter box for each cat?

If the urinating outside the litter box is accompanied by loud meowing like kitty is in pain, cats have urine sludge like human kidney stones.

I have 2 cats. The younger male Siamese is the offender in my house. I have had to get Vet advice or treatment on all of the above due to this guy.

I decided in the spring to close my bedroom door at night to keep the cats out. We were having a bad allergy season. The male would stand on his hind legs beat the door with his paws, yowl loudly and leave a huge puddle of urine. Off to the vet. No urine stones, no diabetes, nothing....Vet told me to open the bedroom door or she could give him kitty Prozac.🤦🏼‍♀️ I opened the bedroom door...it worked.

There is a product called Natures Miracle that does neutralize the smell and is good to have on hand for emergencies.  They have a formula specifically for cats. I’ve found the Lavendar scent not as effective as the plain formula.  I found it at Pets Mart.

Cat smells are especially offensive to my bionic nose!

Good luck with your new babies.
(3)

Ali, cats get UTI's too. I had a cat once that had the problems yours are, and it was a UTI. Then the excessive drinking, diabetes, maybe.

Ming was an issue when I got her, not using litter box. She was so sick. I kept her in the bathroom with box, food and bed for a week or two, then she was fine.
(1)

2 of my cats behaved very badly today.....
I had just come home from the grocery store and as I was putting away the groceries,I looked and looked for the big white mushroom I had purchased and when I finally found it,"Toots" had it under the coffee table and she'd chewed it into tiny pieces and earlier,I awakened to my big old boy cat's claw dug under my eye and now I have a black eye.No tellin'what tomarrow will bring.I never know what they'll pull next~
(2)

Funny you should ask me that, CW. Their previous cat-mom and I just had a FaceTime session and I talked to her about everything that had happened. She is wondering if she should get them checked for diabetes. I suggested to her that I would put everything back to the old way - bowl of water, old litter box - and monitor for another week and I think that's what we're going to do for now.

If they do fine with a bowl of water and the tray litter box, then the problem isn't health related, it's New Overload causing behavioral issues. And then I can introduce new things along with old things and give them time in between to adjust.
(1)

Have your kitties been checked for diabetes Ali?
(0)

What a difference a day makes. 😔 I thought the kitties were doing fine adjusting. They are not. 

Today I saw puddle-trails of clear-looking spit-vomit in several places in my bedroom on the hardwood floor. I see a good size food vomit patch on the living room rug. I see there is poop (yeah, I think it is actually poop, not hairball, but dry poop balls) on top of my big desk in living room and some on the rug. There is a huge amount of urine (definitely urine) soaked into the upholstered bench where I had draped a towel to make a fort for kitties.

Seeing as there are 2 cats, I'm not sure which one is the offender. With so MUCH stuff going on, I suppose it could be both. I think it is the older one, though, for the urine and poop. I think he may not like new litter box. But I don't know WHY he doesn't like new litter box, and I don't know if he needs more time to adjust to it, or he needs a simple tray box back for good. The younger one is using the new box ok, it seems.

Also, I think older one doesn't like some of my offerings on my cat food buffet and puked them back up. He is very cranky pants today, but otherwise seems healthy. I went to store and bought the wet food he is used to and set it out, but he hasn't touched it today.

I don't know which one is over drinking the water, maybe the younger because I've seen her drinking it, but one of them is drinking too much because... I filled the fountain base up a few days ago, about 1.5 liters, and it was all gone today. That seems excessive to me. These are indoor cats and they don't exert themselves and need to drink a lot of fluids, right?

I wonder if they will both adjust to drinking out of the fountain and won't drink too much now that they're used to it, or do they need a small bowl that I can monitor. That seems weird, a lot of people have water fountains for pets, so I think their over drinking is temporary.

I thought I would put them in the crate to do some cleaning up and they both REFUSED this. I can force Delilah but Divo is having none of it. I'm not giving up on them, far from it, but the wind is definitely out of my sails as far as thinking this was going well.
(0)

I have several feral cats that I adopted or adopted me as some people say.

Some eat dry food and wet food. One female cat loves catching mice/rats and eats them. My tomcat Fluffy who passed away a few months ago loved raw meat. I fed him ground chicken or pork. Occasionally he got beef as treats. Oh how he loved raw meat! He was always hanging outside my kitchen when I prepared meat waiting for me to share some pieces. I loved that boy.
(5)

Ali, some cats are grazers, they will nibble here and there around the clock. I learned from the Vet that some cat prefer just dry food because they like how it feels in their mouth. Others will prefer wet food, again because they like how it feels. I keep a "salad bar" of cat food out around the clock.

Right now my old boy Charlie likes both styles of food.... his sweetheart only eats dry food I think, unless she is the one cleaning up the wet food in the middle of the night.

Charlie will eat people food, he does like potato chips. Rosie won't take any people food.
(2)

Yesterday my hubby bought a pound of gyro meat. I heard Jacques (my 17 year old cat) yowling and talking out on the patio. Hubby shouts ‘What’s this? Some meat?’ Jacques goes berserk, at the top of his lungs demanded MEAT!

Of course we laughed and Kitty got his share. Jacques has always been a nibbler with kibble but loves his occasional treats. He enjoys hamburger and rotisserie chicken too. The gyro garlic made MY tummy growl (I can finally eat!).

Jacques used to have a ‘kitty bro’ who hogged the food and when Bodhi died at 13 years old, after Jacques greived, then he started putting on weight. We didn’t realize Bodhi was preventing Jacques from eating. Apparently the dominant cat will do this. Jacques was the runt of the litter too. He looks like a little bear now, he’s much bigger but is active. I’ve had him since he chose me to save him after Hurricane Katrina visited our area. Thirteen happy funny years.

I recommend older cats. They are calm and loving.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter