Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Charlie must have been a very beautiful boy, FF. I'm so sorry to hear this.
(5)

So sorry for your loss FF. It’s like losing a family member. (We have 4 cats-my babies).
What a great life you gave him and a great life he gave you.
RIP Charlie.
One version of the Rainbow Bridge poem (inspired by a Norse legend)

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill, 
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still. 
Where the friends of man and woman do run, 
When their time on earth is over and done. 
For here, between this world and the next, 
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest. 
On this golden land, they wait and they play, 
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day. 
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness, 
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness. 
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed, 
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued. 
They romp through the grass, without even a care, 
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air. 
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back, 
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack. 
For just at that instant, their eyes have met; 
    Together again, both person and pet. 
So they run to each other, these friends from long past, 
The time of their parting is over at last. 
The sadness they felt while they were apart, 
Has turned into joy once more in each heart. 
They embrace with a love that will last forever, 
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.
(6)

FF, I am so sorry. You had that kitty for a very long time. It was harder for me to lose Macy than I ever thought it would be.
(7)

Frequentflyer, so, so sorry. I know how your are feeling having gone through my scare with Daniel recently.

A Pet's Peace

I have left you now but please don't be sad
You gave me all the love you had
You did so much for me in my time here
And I'll always hold those precious times near
I know some day you'll find love again
and into your life will come a new friend
Your heart will heal, but you'll never forget,
memories like the first time we met
Memories are wonderful, so keep them close
and remember all the good times the most
Up in the Heaven for animals is where I'll be
and some day in the future, each other we will see
I am at PEACE now so please don't be sad
You gave me all the love you had.

By: Tracey M. Johnson
(7)

Freqflyer,
I'm so,so sorry for your loss.
He was so blessed to have you and your good care for so long.
(5)

So very sorry you will be missing your Charlie-cat FF.
That huge thunderstorm must have represented all the tears you could have cried for him and his long life.
Sorry for your loss.
(6)

Earlier I had mentioned my cat "Charlie" [black Bombay] who was approaching 19 years old. We had blood tests taken on Monday, and one of the Vets called today, news was pretty much what I had expected, and the Vet recommended it was time to say goodbye.... so we took Charlie in, he now is at peace.

As my sig other and I were leaving the clinic, a huge thunderstorm started as as we got into the car. It was all most like the weather God was crying. I know it was all coincidental, but I still had to wonder as the storm came in fast.

Now Charlie is with his litter mate Sara who had passed a year or so earlier.
(13)

I heard howling outside. Big traveling Tom cat was on top of Teenage girl barn cat. She was last seen escaping to the South 40 wheatfield with Tom hot on her tail. Looks like we will have some new barn kitties coming up. Big Bad Tom and Miss B. Haven teenager!
(3)

I'll have to look that up Glad. Chloe loves ropes,, but we have to make sure we get them when they start to shred.. Or she eats the shreds.. doggie dental floss!
(2)

Macy loved a snake that I got for her at pet smart or petco. They came in different lengths, depending on dog size. It was not stuffed with much poly stuff. It had squeakers inside the sections of snake body. Florescent green or orange and black. They lasted forever. The poly stuffed toys she would go through in a day or two.

https://www.amazon.com/Outward-Hound-Stuffingless-Invincible-Squeaker/dp/B003RQDQPU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_199_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DRRE3YG035XHD471T24Y
(1)

Thor (our lab) destroyed a PetSmart stuffed toy quickly.  We took it away, and gave him the head (a squeaky ball).  We bought the smaller size tennis balls (squeaky) which he loves.  The first one he pulled out the squeaker thing.  The next 2 he stripped down to the inner rubber ball. After a few weeks of no ball, he's been ok with chasing and catching the new ones.  And he gets occasional soup bones to chew on.  He gets no more soft toys, so he'll once in awhile manage to grab a pair of dirty underpants.  They get torn, and he sleeps with them!  Less expensive to replace than toys.
(3)

Does she like that tug on a rope game? Any dog I've ever encountered will play that for hours. Not necessarily a rope but you know what I'm talking about.

My brothers lab pulled me around for an hour once. He would have kept playing if I hadn't collapsed in exhaustion.
(2)

Well we bought Chloe some "indestructible "toys at PetSmart ( nope,, no gaurentee which I understand, I could have a Pitbull) They are ripstop tuff fabric and she loves them. I thought whoopee!! something she wont destroy.. yeah,, no,,
they lasted about 3 weeks.. she has managed to rip them and pull out white stuffing already! This is a 15 lb chug,, not a 50 lb pit bull! I swear we need "toy of the month club", and I feel bad because we have to take them from her and toss them, don't want her pooping cotton balls! She is heartbroken and looks at the table where we keep her toys ( to switch them out) and just whines. We do have some Kongs, and they are great, but she loves the softer toys. Some of her older stuffed toys have held up.. I am at a loss here. Any suggestions? Her older toys are from when our DD"s 5 lb chihuahua was still playing with toys. So they are old..
(1)

Caring for Tweety is keeping me calm, but No, I cannot hug or hold Tweety.
Playing calming bird videos help him, and putting his cage on the floor, covering it at times helps. But allowing him to fly around free on his own schedule allows him the freedom to do what birds in the outdoors do, and that is to take flight just before the earthquakes. An early warning system to be sure, plus the dogs barking is a good warning, and all true in my experience.

MsMadge,
You do have some EQ experience!
Guess I want to know if you adopted a puppy or guard dog when at the Humane Society????
(2)

Of course we want to know.

What DID MSM decide to do in 87?

🙈
(1)

Of course now we all want to know what MsM decided to do back in '87.
(3)

Dogs are barking up and down the street
do they sense something
wait,
what's that rumble?

oh, it's the street sweeper - 😂

Tgif

send, I come from a long line of quake survivors

Paternal grandma was in a building that collapsed in the 1906 SF earthquake

the Viking was roller skating and got hit by a brick in the 1933 Long Beach quake and was in the driveway that became like a wave machine and the garden wall came down in the 1987 Whittier one

cousins lived near the epicenter of the 1971 Sylmar and 1994 Northridge earthquakes

and, I had to decide whether to ride out Whittier in the shower or run outside naked

years ago, I remember being at the humane society and one of the cal tech lady seismologists was sitting with a pound puppy - she was helping keep it calm -
can you hug Tweety ?
(3)

Shout out to Staceyb!
Did you feel that?

Hey MsMadge,
Do the hoca residents notice?
Have you got your bottled water in good supply?
One gallon minimum per day for each person.
And we have some to share.
(1)

I feel the earth move
under my feet
(5)

I had a relative who live on the west coast of Canada for a while, she said that she just couldn't get used to all the little tremors that we never hear about and most of the natives didn't seem to notice at all. ((Hugs)) to Send and all the people living with a dragon under their feet.
(2)

Tweety is not behaving badly, but he goes into his cage when the earth starts swaying gently. He and I agree that there were a lot of EQ from 1:00 p.m. to 3 p.m., and continuing. So I put his cage on the floor in time for the:
4.1 @ 4:45 p.m.
3.0 @ 4:47 p.m.
3.3 @ 4:51 p.m.
3.6 @ 4:52 p.m.

Prior to that, I went to the computer to see if this swaying/shaking was my imagination or just dizziness, or was it all in my mind?
2.6 @ 12:50 p.m.
2.7 @ 2:42 p.m., only seconds apart.
2.5 @ 2:42 p.m.
Not a complete list, but feeling things above 2.5., even though it is 150 miles from the epicenter. Anything lower is unknown, because the download crashed my kindle.
Aw, felt that last one @ 5:50 PST. An empty water bottle crackles, and Tweety stopped chirping, churling, or chirling-a sound parakeets use to calm themselves.
Anything lower is unknown, because the overload crashed my kindle.

Hoping everyone is okay, and in Louisiana hurricanes too.

3.2 @ 4:57 p.m.
3.1 @ 5.08 p.m.
Continuing.....
(6)

The local fireworks,, OMG. We were at the river house with Chloe, and the neighbors set off lots of noisy things. LOL And I must admit Hub and I were both stressed with both my mom and his dad.. poor Chloe was under any bed she could find!
(2)

Daniel says thx Nala!
(2)

Gershun,
Nala the cat is stopping by to support Daniel in his recovery.
She is all grown up now.
(1)

Well Chloe and hubs and I had a great and busy day. Went to the river house to mow,, boat time, swimming.. ( she is not so happy about the swimming but we are trying to ease her into it ) then a milkshake on the way home an detour to get her nails trimmed. Then she had her only 2nd bath in her life! She really seemed to like it better than the swimming.. LOL. Luckily she is not a "smelly "dog... Mom comes home on Fri, so we needed to get her nails done
(3)

FF, All I can say is wow! That is one old kitty. My BF's cat Sam is 18 yrs old. We have him on "Cat Sure," which to my surprise Sam loves it and it seems to help him get around the house and he even started to play with his favorite mouse again.

However, I have to agree it is very hard to watch them age. I have no idea what I am going to do when Sam passes away. My BF and Sam are the best buddies. My BF acts as though when Sam goes he will be ok with it...I don't believe that! Maybe I will get him a dog this time. Although at times I had wonder if Sam was a dog in a pass life. LOL Because Sam gets in bed with us and goes around in a circle 3 times before he lays down; he loves to get into the garbage can, in fact, we had to buy different ones to figure out which one can Sam not over take and make his daily mess. Ugh! And Sam loves to drink out of the toilet. We try to keep the seats down but my mother forgets.

Love your kitty they are only with us for a very short time.

I wish you and Charlie the best! 🐱
(1)

FF that is quite old for a cat. Especially a male one. My two boys are only 11 years old and you give me hope that maybe they'll live longer than the average.

But yeah, it's sad when they get older and start to slow down. I hear ya!
(2)

FF,
That has been some really good care you have given to your elderly cat!
You will miss him when it is time.
(2)

It is really tough watching an elderly pet age so quickly in less than a year. My old cat "Charlie" [black Bombay] is going on 19 years. It seemed like yesterday he was running around the house, climbing the fence out back, calling for our other cat "Rosie", etc. Time does fly.

He's been under regular Vet care for the past couple of years. Last year we started him on fluid transfusions which was started to help his kidneys. He is also taking pain meds for his arthritis, and meds for high blood pressure.

Then I need to keep telling myself that he is equal to 90 in human years. He's has had a beautiful life, crazy as all get out, silly, comical, lot of entertainment, and had a human speaking vocabulary of a dozen words.
(5)

Still searching for the kitty's tail! But a bushier plant would hide that it isn't even missing.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter