Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Luckylu all my cats over the years have eaten what they were given or go hungry. My current cat has lost the fur on her belly for years. just nice soft pink skin. i did not want to pay for the prescription stuff so the belly stayed bare but she is an indoor cat so did not get frost bite. Now there are several grain free dry foods on the market so she now has a nice furry belly
(4)

That's so nice Veronica....I didn't know cats could have bald bellies and I'm so glad that yours didn't get frostbite!
Our whole house has turned into a cathouse this past month,now that the kittens have graduated to the den,kitchen,nook,,hallway and bathroom and it's like Heaven for cats here.I was so happy to find a cat tree at a garage sale for $10.00 and it has several perching places on it,but my kittens still have to climb to the highest place in the room instead.Iv'e heard that for bad behaviorryour'e supposed to shoot 'em with a squirt gun.Is this true?
(3)

My experience with using a squirt bottle, it only stops the behavior at the time but doesn't cure them of repeating. Cats do love to get up high, it gives them security. Can you remove whatever this highest perch to a room you can close the cat off from entering? Their interest in the highest perch may go away once they are more into adulthood. Tiger likes to get in boxes to hide and sleep. There are those tubes that connect to cubes for cats to play, hide and sleep. Crazy kitties, Tiger liked to crawl into a cupboard at our California home. We didn't use hit to store anything because it was angled a long way back where things would end up lost because we couldn't reach back to pull it out. We left it open a crack for him to go into to get away from Midget.
(2)

Today was National Dog Day.
(3)

SharynMarie,,.I can't really close off the area because it's the top of the doors and lights in the rooms they think they must climb to.I had to take everything off the mantle,so they have that and they still want to go higher.They're something else!But I get the biggest kick out of them.I showed 'em a bag of russet potatoes and the next thing I knew,they had 'em all out of the bag,scattered down the hall.Everything is new and exciting to them.I just don't know where they get all their energy.
(3)

My aunt had a cat that ruled the house and he liked to perch on top of the refrigerator and swipe at the unsuspecting who walked below. One day my aunt couldn't find him but heard him meowing for help, the little prince had gotten himself locked into the cupboard above the fridge.
(2)

Luckylu, that is common with cats to get up on doors, Lol!! I have even seen them on ceiling fan blades.
(2)

Ah, yes, cats and high places. My sig other had a house that had a 2 story family room, thus there was this area called a "cat walk" where it was a shelf like thing that one would need a very high ladder to place anything on that wall walk. Well, my Black Bombay found a way of jumping from the stair railing onto that cat walk....

Sig other didn't know "Charlie" did this, so one day sig other was sitting on the sofa on the telephone when out of the sky down came "Charlie" landing on the sofa with a thud. Scared the daylights out of sig other. Charlie found this to be a good game.

In the kitchen the kitchen cabinets didn't go all the way up to the ceiling, there was space above them all. So Charlie would go on the kitchen counter, up onto the refrigerator, and then to the top of the kitchen cabinets. I remember we were looking all over for that bad boy not realizing he was doing that :P

On trash day, Charlie took to the roofs of everyone's house on the cul-de-sac to chase off the crows. There he was sitting on the peak of a 2-story roof. He had no fear of heights.

Cats and squirt guns. You need to squirt the cat thinking about doing something you don't want them to do, or just in the process of doing something wrong. It depends if the cat hates to get wet. Charlie loved water. He would want to go out in the rain, come back in and shake like a dog, and be toweled dried... then back out the door for a 2nd and 3rd time :P
(4)

Luckylu, what breed of puppy do you have. That explains why the cats are going higher up.
(1)

It's called a Chiweenie,SharyynMarie.It's half Chihuahua and half weenie and she's little at 9 and a half pounds.She's all brown with brown eyes,about 1 and a half years old and her name is "Precious" because she's so precious.At first,she was jealous of the kittens,but now that they play with her,she loves them.....Thank God,because she sure doesn't get along with my old cat,"Odom" and I have to keep those 2 separate.Thanks for asking~
(2)

Luckylu, I googled and they are so cute. The pics I saw, the pups look like chihuahua with a doxie body. Glad they all get along. Midget has not been socialized with other pets.
(1)

SharynMarie...That was nice of you to google the chiweenie.Precious has a Chihuahua head and a dachshund body too.We lucked into her,because she was dumped at a campground and a man asked if we wanted her and ofcourse we did.We had just adopted a Jack Russell from a shelter and after just one night,we knew he was more than we could handle and had to return it,so we were looking for a baby and Precious found us.Then Bootsie,the cat came a month later and then her babies came a few months later,so now we have a house full.5 cats and 1 dog all together.
(1)

Remember when I showed you a pic of the crazy cat lady starter kit as my avatar and you assured me you were only keeping one kitten Luckylu? (Just a friendly poke in the ribs, lol)
(1)

(1)

Well cwillie.....I guess Iv'e turned into a Cat Lady now and yeah,I sorta remember saying I was only gonna keep one,but after I fed 'em and played with 'em,I got SO attached.
We have a funny game we play now.I have a big bowl of water and I put some plastic boats in it and every now and then,I go stir it with a stick and walk off.Then the kittens will go over and try to stir it with their paws.They're smart and very impressionable and they Love the Beanie Baby Boogie and are learning their names better.They've brought me a lot of joy.
Next week,they will be spayed and they have to keep 'em overnight.Bootsie and I will miss the babies.
(3)

Well, no cats or dogs here at my house, but against the rules I have fed a squirrel, who is behaving badly! Digging up a huge pile of dirt at the base of my shed where I fed it. What a mess, lots of sandy dirt.
If I feed it near the good dirt, maybe it will prepare the soil? I could train it?

Anyway, it's name is Nutjob, bringing coffee to caregivers who need it today.
Here, have some!

I know that I will regret not following the rules (No feeding wild animals), but it stopped to talk to me during the eclipse! That is no excuse, I am sure. My bad.
(1)

Buster is in a heap of trouble here at Idaho homestead. Tearing up some plants in the backyard puts the puppy in timeout as well as Busters master ( my hubs)!! Lol!!
(3)

I just had to put "Trouble" in time-out SharynMarie.She's running through the house too much and too fast,playing too hard after just having a major surgery.Yesterday,after they were spayed on Thursday,they pretty much slept all day,but today they're back up to their old tricks.I'm just glad all 4 cats are spayed now so there won't be any more babies.My wonderful dH behaved VERY badly and was going to lie and tell the spay-neuter place they were feral to save $90.00 and they would have cut off the top third of one of their ears but thankfully his lie bombed and my kittens came home in one piece....mostly.
Send,Please tell Nutjob Thanks for the coffee....It's delicious!
(3)

Hubbys and puppies and kittens in time out, oh my!!! Lol!! Your hubby sounds funny. I babysat the twins plus Buster and his brother Rusty today. Kept them outside most of time while the puppies wrestled and the grands played by blowing bubbles, trying to catch the bubbles!!!

No more babies is a good time Luckylu, we can make some coffee for the naughty hubbys??
(2)

SharynMarie...I'll bet you had a ball watching all your babies today!
And yeah,my husband is funny alright,Funny in the head-
Maybe Nutjob could make us a very special brew just for our husbands...?
(2)

Luckylu I did!! The pups wore themselves out after tumbling over each other for 2 hours. One grandson fell asleep while the other grandson and I took a short walk. When dd came to get her 3 boys, I was ready for a nap!!
(2)

I hope you did get a nap SharynMarie,but if you didn't,it's about bedtime now.I'm tired too and earlier today Iwished I could've laid down with the kittens,but I had to go to the store for catfood
AGAIN!
(1)

Love the stories about everyone's cats and dogs!!

My cat is adorable, spoiled, and a fabulous cuddler. However, when I have to sleep on the couch if Dad is having a bad night, kitty howls, pounces, and literally climbs the walls seeking my attention. Because if I'm not in my own bed, I should be playing with the cat, right? Of course!

My dog, on the other hand, is AWESOME with Dad. She's a herding dog, so she keeps an eye on him. I was on the phone the other day, and I somehow missed Dad's attempt to go on walkabout, BY HIMSELF, without his walker, in the middle of the day in 110 degree heat! (He has dementia.) But the dog wouldn't let him go out the front door. Blocked his exit, actually, and then started barking like crazy to alert me. (She would never bite or be aggressive, she just has an alert bark, a "Timmy's stuck in the well!!" kind of bark.)

Anyway, Dad was mad about the whole thing, (understandable, being herded by a dog) but at least he was safe! Good dog! She also sleeps next to his bed. And last night, when my husband was having a really rough time dealing with Dad's diagnosis, and was crying on the living room floor, the dog came over, laid down next to him, and put her paw on his shoulder. I wish I had gotten a picture of that!

So, I guess this is, cat behaves badly, dog behaves awesome. Unless she's chasing cat. ;)
(3)

Wireled travel what an amazing dog she certainly knows how to look after her people.
Many dogs and even some cats share her gifts. It is not unusual for an animal to refused to leave the side of a dying loved one and I expect your dog to do that even before Dad appears to be actively dying.
(3)

Whirled, loved the Timmy Reference. That was the dumbest kid that ever lived. In the well, old mine shaft, etc. My fav high school rock band near us is  named TIMMYS IN THE WELL. They are terrible, just like the old TV show but best band name ever.  Great dog story BTW.
(1)

Windy - haha, love the band name!
(2)

My beautiful all black kitten sure doesn't feel like behaving badly and I feel SO bad for her.After getting her and the other 2 kittens spayed last week,the other 2 kittens are healing fine,but my poor "Lovee'" isn't so I had to take her into the vet and they had to put in 2 staples and they put her in one of those collars for protection.Her belly button is poofed and so red.I just hate it for her.I guess she licked it too much in the beginning.The vet said "Yes,,,all their personalities are different.....Really?
(2)

Aw, I hope Lovee feels better soon! And the Cone of Shame - poor thing!
(2)

Awe, poor Lovee, those Elizabethan Collars are so uncomfortable.
(2)

Get a photo Luckylu! Those kittens are still small, right?
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter