Follow

Does your Cat (or any pet) misbehave since caregiving your loved one?
Have you been required to take care of your loved one's pet after they have passed? Does your pet have cute antics that entertain your loved one?
And finally, has the cat or dog transferred their loyalty to your Mother?

1 2 3 4 5
Our cat "Jessie" [ginger/white] would make a good nanny. At 9:30 at night he tells everyone it is time to go to bed. No ands, ifs, or buts. He will annoy you until you get off the computer or if you are watching TV downstairs. He does the reverse at 7:00 in the morning, makes his rounds getting the household up.

Well, last night was the night before changing the clock forward one hour. Anywho, there's Jessie at 8:30 [hour early] doing his nightly get-in-bed rounds. How on earth did he know about the clocks, unless he saw us changing the clocks, but then again.... maybe it was just a coincidence.... or maybe he did know.

And this morning, at 7 a.m., even though the sun was just peeking through the clouds compared to complete sunshine the morning before, he was on his nanny routine.
(8)

Way,

My friend is in love with a service dog at her church. She says that this dog is so sweet (black lab). When the priest announces that it is time to offer the sign of peace. The dog holds out her paw to shake it!
(1)

Pam,

Yes! I believe that. My grey knew when my daughter would arrive home from school. He would go to the foyer and stand there waiting for her. Mom and I would giggle saying that he could tell the time! They have an internal clock.
(2)

cw,

Too funny! 😁
(0)

We have a 15 cat feral colony who live in my garage and in little cat homes we have on our deck, and they are NOT dumb, I swear they can tell time! At exactly 430 every evening they are staring in the deck door and hanging out by the garage doors, waiting to be fed ( 5 pm) And heaven forbid we are one minute late! When we walk the dog we have a little train of cats following us, it's adorable!
(7)

Way,

My DH grew up with a beagle and a neurotic cockapoo!

My DH didn’t want a cat and asked me to see if my parents would take my cat when we got married. . I said, ‘Hey, we are a package deal. I am not getting rid of my cat!’

He ended up loving the cat. My cat looked like yours but didn’t have any white fur.

Chocolate labs are my favorite! Labs are usually very active. My brother always had black labs. They are beautiful dogs. I like playing with them at the dog park when we bring my daughter’s dog to the park.

Lately, there is a gorgeous Great Dane puppy that keeps trying to jump on me at the park.

My neighbor’s Dane broke her ribs when she was a puppy and super playful. She had a difficult time training her dog not to jump.
(1)

Need,
Funny how the grey wouldn’t run in the cold. 😂
I knew someone who adopted a chocolate lab who had failed at seeing eye dog school . He would get distracted by other people and not do his job !! He also would just randomly sit down or lay down when he felt like it . He was a very lazy dog for a lab .
(1)

r/OneOrangeBraincell and r/catsarefuckingstupid are two Reddits dedicated to cats being less than clever
(1)

My daughter in law has 2 cats and has had cats all her life . And my daughter has a very smart cat . My girlfriend has had cats all her life . They all say my cat is dumb . Poor thing . 😂. But she is content . An easy cat .

When my daughter came home from college , she lived with us for 2 years and brought along a kitten . When she moved out we missed the cat , so we got our own kitten . This is my first cat .

My DH never wanted pets . I had to talk him into letting my daughter bring a kitten when she came back home to live with us after college .
Now my DH is the biggest mush for cats.
(2)

Way,

Hahaha 😆! Funny story about the shower curtain.

Cats are super smart! I don’t think they are dumb. After all, they have 9 lives!

But hey, there may be some exceptions! Maybe some aren’t very bright.

They are extremely independent. I happen to love their aloof personality.

My greyhound would look at himself in the mirror. It was hilarious! You have to remember that greys lived their lives at the race track. They are exposed to a whole new world when they are adopted.

My grey was the sweetest dog in the world. He absolutely stole my heart. He lived to be 13. He was a champion in Florida. A beautiful dog, the fawn color. He looked like a small dear.

He was 85 lbs of lean muscle. They retired him from racing when they decided to take him north to teach the other dogs how to run. He refused to run in the cold, snowy weather!

He and my mom grew old together and they had a wonderful relationship with each other. Oh my gosh, we cried when he died.

Grey’s personalities are similar to a cat. They are couch potatoes after they retire. He lounged on my sofa all day. They are affectionate but can be shy and aloof.
(1)

My cat is notorious for being dumb , even for a cat

I put up a new cute shower curtain with birds sitting on vines. Mind you they DO NOT look very realistic . Think more modern art . I keep catching my cat perched on the closed toilet seat cover staring at the birds with her head cocked to one side .
(7)

Barb,

What’s the latest news about your kitty? I hope this situation improves soon. Hugs 🤗!
(2)

(((((barb))))) deep breaths, hope you are calmer though you have every reason to fume. Some cats love seeing water run and will tip over a glass, a vase or whatever. Hope kitty is back home and OK. Hope you are OK. Hope dh is OK.
(4)

Oh, Barb. Did he literally kick the cat? Either way, it's not a good situation. I hope it was a moment of temper and frustration and he regrets it, has made nice with you and the cat, and I hope the cat is ok.

I was thinking about this situation where I was given a cat, then un-given a cat. lol

I had to make my peace with this change of plans, so I sent my friend a message telling her I'm happy to take another stray off her hands if she finds one, haha... All in lighthearted love. She's a sweet friend, a busy and frazzled mom, and I can see she's trying to figure out the right thing for her family. I offered to take the cat if she decided it needed rehoming after all at some point.

She texted back a dozen messages explaining that today she had wanted to text me, "Never mind about what I said yesterday, please DO take her; I made a bad decision when I changed my mind." (...that's the gist...)

But she needs more time to make a final decision.

I'm cool either way.

It's just funny to me. It's a kitty I've never met in person! But I planned for her to be with me, which was a big decision and commitment on my part, so having plans change took a minute to process.

Now I just wait. That's ok. Whatever happens is fine. Sigh.
(4)

Barb ,
Put your cat’s litter box outside your front door . Leave the waste , don’t scoop it out .
My daughter told me the scent guides them back home.
Does your front door lead to the outside, or an inside common hallway in your building ? I’m not sure since you live in Brooklyn .
(2)

Leave a window open in the car, and a way to enter the garage?

Place bedding out behind an out building.
Feed the cat there?
(2)

Barb, I'm not sure I'm getting the cat story right... is it an indoor cat who is now kicked out and you don't see it out there? If so the cat will come back, so if it's cold or rainy out try putting a cardboard box outside the door (on its side so that the opening is towards the house) and put some bedding in it.

You can post a pic of your kitty on Nextdoor.com to alert the community. I grew up with cats and as an adult had 2 barn cats that were indoor/outdoor. My male would disappear for 3 days at a time and return. Cats have survival instincts. The biggest problem is territorialism or traffic, so putting a shelter out so it has a safe place to return to while it waits for you to find it by your door and calling their name every once in a while can help.

We have tons of ferrel cats here in frigid MN so they are able to find warmth and shelter -- but an indoor cat isn't practiced and doesn't have outside territory, but the box may help. So sorry for your distress if this is the situation.
(3)

Barb,

I am sorry. Poor kitty.
(2)

Barb,
I’m confused . Do you mean he literally kicked the cat or put the cat outside of the house , or both ?
(1)

Love me, love my cat.

Or dog,

or budgie.

Why punish a cat doing normal things a cat does?
Bring the cat in, it is winter.

Or you will report him. (Maybe).

It may have been just a passing bad mood, and by now has forgotten.
Forgive dH for leaving his drink out where the cat could get to it.

Practice cat safety above all, imo.
(3)

Off the wall story. My DH, who was dxed with MCi about 2 years ago and then had that dx rescinded (they redid the neuropsych testing and he's coming out in the normal range) kicked out cat the other night.

Cat had tried to drink out of a glass DH had left out. He tried to sip out of it. Tipped it over.

I'm so angry. If cat needs vet services, that on me. He has no funds. Just fuming. And going grey rock.

Any advice totally appreciated!
(5)

My daughter is in Colorado for the holidays. She is coming home next week.

About 45 minutes away from Denver there is a wildlife reserve. She went to visit it. She just called me and told me that they rescued tigers from our city, New Orleans!

Crazy story…A person was raising tigers and left them in their car. One of the cubs died, they saved the rest of them. People are absolutely disgusting regarding how they treat animals.

No one should be raising tigers as pets! I didn’t watch Tiger King. I suppose some people are trying to copy his behavior. It’s sick and cruel!
(1)

Ali,

So sorry about Halo. There are so many fur babies in shelters that need homes. I am sure that you will find another one when the time is right for you to adopt a new kitty.
(2)

Ali, I think you need to put getting a cat until ur done with school. I know people say they are pretty independent but they still need human touch. I had one cat got mad at me when we left on vacation for a week. Literally ignored me for 2 wks after we returned. He and my first cat were yellow tabbys and very lovable.

Cats are easier to leave home while you work. Easier to leave for vacation because they have litter boxes. Food can be left out for them on daytrips. Easy to find someone to come in and care for them. No walking.
(1)

AliBoBali,
Sorry about Halo . If it’s meant to be it will . If not , then you choose the right time next time . ((Hugs)).
(1)

Sad news. I'm almost certainly not getting a new kitty, at least not getting Halo from my friend who wanted me to take her.

I was sick so much during November and December, so I kept putting off picking H up, and my friend was saying they were happy to keep her another week or so since her kids like the cat. Then I was literally on the way to driving out to my friend's place an hour away in mid-December with a little soft-sided cat carrier when I realized that no one would be at my place for a week during Christmas, and I didn't think I should leave a new kitty in a new place alone. So friend and I agreed she should keep her through Christmas.

I texted her the day I was driving back to my city to arrange to get her, and *crickets.* The next day, she texted me that, while she feels terrible about doing this to me, she feels bad about giving the kitty away because her daughter is attached, and also friend feels the kitty helps her daughter with emotional regulation... it's her support kitty, basically.

Welp.

I had set up everything at my place - food, litter box, toys... And now it's just sad looking to me.

But it's ok. Obviously, I didn't bond with this cat, though I was so excited to get her. I'm not (too) upset with my friend, and I understand! I told her to make the decision that was right for her family, and I'm ok with it.

She has to get "permission" from her husband to keep the kitty, though, since that was never the plan, and hubs thinks they have enough animals already. We'll see what happens.

I may or may not seek to adopt from one of the local shelters if I don't get Halo. I wasn't thinking of getting a cat right away since I'm busy with work and school, but then I was very excited to get Halo. I'm a little lost on how I feel now.

Bummer. 😕
(4)

New kitten Asher is precious! He's a cuddler but not for too long because he's full of boundless energy, buzzing about the house, checking out everything, getting into everything and testing out his 8 wk old jumping skills.

He really loves this catnip mouse we bought him. He rolled around on the floor, bunny-kicking it with his feet. Then throwing it into the air and doing 4-legged launches to jump up and catch it. Then later when he was asleep, he woke up, jumped out of his little bed and ran straight to the mouse to start all over again. He's pretty funny.

We're going to pick out a Christmas tree tonight. I can't imagine how a decorated tree will hold up with him around. This might be a year to leave the more expensive decorations off the tree.
(2)

Apple,

Awwww…he sounds precious! Asher is cute too.

One of my friends took in a stray cat that wandered into their yard. They already had a cat and they named their new kitty, Extra!
(2)

Halo is a good name! I share your excitement because we're picking up a new kitten tomorrow!!! He's so cute, mostly gray with some white tabby stripes on his face. We decided on the name Asher. He's 8 weeks old and was just spayed yesterday.
(3)

Ali,

I bet that you are falling in love with your kitty! They are so cute.

My daughter just got pet insurance for her dog because her last vet visit was a fortune! She used her credit card and is going to have to pay it off in time.

She says that she will be saving a lot of money since she has insurance now.

Halo is a great name!
(2)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter