Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
My nephew delivers furniture CM, it is entirely possible your delivery men could have played a part in the sofa debacle. K says if the job looks difficult some of the delivery guys where he works have been known to make a mistake (even going so far as to damage the delivery) so they don't have to do it.
(2)

Judging by their collective operational IQ I think it more likely they were from Keighley. Whenever somebody in the news has done something just spectacularly THICK, and often borderline illegal at that, they seem to be from bloody Keighley.

Though to be fair, they can hardly be held responsible for what was put on their van. I am still waiting to hear who can...
(2)

I want to say " Dinsdale!!!!"
(2)

I am lurking by the phone making growling noises, waiting to rip the head off a young man called Liam when he finally summons up the courage to call me back.

Up at twenty to seven this morning to be ready for the delivery of my eagerly-awaited sofa bed. Two months it has taken me to get this order sorted out. Two months of patient negotiation and liaison, getting two lots of manufacturers and an upholstery retailer all lined up in a row, just to get the right size furniture in a nice fabric that doesn't cost the earth and goes with my carpets and can cope with the dog jumping on it and being shooed off again. Not to mention the pains I took last night to walk the route from street to living room and make sure there were no pitfalls or obstructions for the delivery men when it comes to wrestling several hundred pounds of sofa bed into the house.

So 8:15 sharp and I'm directing them into a safe parking position. For reasons which have yet to be explained, these young men come from deepest Yorkshire and have accents to match - this means, for those not familiar with British regional accents, that they are essentially speaking a foreign language. But I eventually gather that one of them is concerned that the sofa is very heavy. Er, yes, it is. Were you not expecting that?

I walk them through the route to make sure they're happy, and they are very happy to note that we have nice wide doorways to work with. Hurrah! They disappear to set about unloading. There is a pause. The pause goes on for some time. I go to investigate.

It turns out that the sofa is not nearly as heavy as they feared. That's the good news. The bad news is that the reason it is not very heavy is that there is no bed in it, and they are conferring about what to do. This is a sofa non-bed. As it is wrapped in heavy-duty clear polythene I am also able to observe that this sofa non-bed is upholstered in cream linen. Not chocolate moleskin velvet. This is not my sofa. Where is my sofa?

Where is my sofa, Liam? Liam, where is my sofa..? Liiii-aaammm...
(4)

Gershun, you should write and tell Lady G about that - seriously, she would be really touched! I have a lot of time for that young woman, ever since she was on the Graham Norton show a while back (to be honest, I hadn't really paid any attention to the phenomenon before then). Graham had invited into the audience a girl whose hobby was making miniature Lady G dolls, complete with replica costumes - I know, that girl needs to get out more, but hey at least she has sewing skills! And LG called her up to the stage and said "can I give you a hug?" She was so sweet to this star-struck kid, I was terribly impressed. I also hadn't realised how *young* she still is - so much achievement in so little time.
(3)

Sendme Lady Gaga is a pop singer. She used to wear these wild costumes and her performances are very theatrical.

As far as talking about my Mom on here. I would but I want to keep this thread fun, so I'll think of fun stories about my Mom for here and keep the crying and missing her posts for another thread.

Not that I'm saying that people on here can't talk about whatever they want to but ..............anyhow. You all know what I mean, I hope.
(4)

Back to you, Gershun.
Who is lady gaga?
(2)

The sweatshirts were white, our shoes were white, and our bras and underpants were white also.
There, I am done explaining now.
(2)

For halloween, we dressed as cheerleaders for halloween. A group of us girls.

Do I really need to explain this more? We changed our clothes, to dress for halloween, in the girls bathroom. We then went door to door to ask for candy.
Remember? That was back when people would actually feel safe answering their doors, and they handed out chocolate candy bars.
(2)

In high school, a group of us dressed in sweatshirts and white pleated skirts-nothing like today's cheerleaders-no skin was showing, what we considered short was the skirt went down to our knees. No, No people! We didn't pull the skirt down to our knees like the teen guys pull their pants down below their rears today on purpose-we had the hem at our knees. Yes, that was considered short. What is a hem, you say? Oh, I guess you would have to have been there, and taken Home Economics classes. Maybe they don't even teach sewing in schools anymore!
(3)

Oh, wait. Have I got dressing for Halloween and Christmas confused? Again?
err, umm, there is a difference, right?

Maybe dressing for halloween is still something to look forward to again Gershun, in say, about 20 years?

Sorry you are missing your Mom, Gershun.
You too are missing your Mom, Luckylu.

You can talk about it here-this is your thread.
(3)

Maybe I am not so normal after all. I haven't dressed for Halloween for many many years. When it was required for my job, I just said: "This is my costume, isn't it scary?"
And I also close the blinds to change clothes because I am modest, but also because I don't want to scare anybody. I don't wear shorts for the same reason.
(2)

Speaking of Lady GaGa you reminded me of one of the last Christmas's with Mom. I was wearing these blue velvety material pants and my faux fur coat and my 2 inch heeled funky lace up boots. My Mom who I thought was pretty out of touch says "you look like Lady GaGa". Cracked me up. Sweet little Mom. I've been missing her so much today. :(
(6)

Maybe I can figure out a recipe.....And ofcourse Mom wore her pink panties and black bra in the shower cuz she was Anything but normal!The last 4 Halloween's,she wanted to be Lady GaGa.....
(4)

Penicillin is no longer the best antibiotic for a UTI, so not to upset anyone, use bacitracin. But I don't have a recipe for that. Hoping that Luckylu doesn't either.
(2)

Sendme2help
Thanks for the homemade penicillin suggestion
Next time mom has a UTI I'll make moldy French toast for her - she loves breakfast any time of day
(2)

Parent went to reunion and nobody would take them for me so 94 y o dad drove there 3.5 hours. AYFKM

I couldnt go because I am back to work early two days all day (I work prn and nothing available all July) and they wanted to stay there when I had to be at work.

I scrubbed the house yet again and cleaned out the walking dead food supply my mother demands keeping despite it's pre ww2 status. I purchased really nice, quick food in cups and cooked food for them in portions so as not to prompt my dad to leave again and buy 100000000000000 more groceries (he runs around and leaves mom with me because he cant stand being around her - plus if he stops, death will claim him). I come home to find both suitcases blocking the walkway because they could pull them out of the car but those last few steps are apparently reserved for cincerfuckingella to haul in and then ferry to the underworld basement in which I dwell. I walk into the spotless kitchen after walking through a glass and wood door left wide open because even that was too hard for them to close on their way to the bedroom. But alas, I find no less than 15 bags of groceries warming to summer heat in the kitchen, left out across countertops everywhere - waiting like a big FU to Cinderfkingella (Referred to herein as CFE) for being at work and not home welcoming them with a ticker godamned tape parade to further enrich my father's narcissistic supply. The AC was on full tilt below ice cube temps and I wanted to cry. Garage door open (nothing says rob me like open garage, wallet and keys in the unlocked car and open front door like my parents) and my cleaned up house a disaster.

I cannot tell the trespassing of CFE that goes on. If I stand up for myself, the turd sounds the alarm by calling my two ass kissing never present siblings to tell them what a loser, failure POS daughter they have. I am the reason this man has had 3 more years with his wife. At the rate things were going with her drinking and pilling, she would be dead and damn near was when I got here. She would fall, he would not tell anyone and make her go back to bed and hiding her injuries. Not on my watch. Not anymore. And who fed her the alcohol and still does if he takes her out? Him or my idiot siblings. I clean up the damned mess.

Anywahoo. I feel resentment like - real bad - upon coming home from work today. I wouldn't have such a hard time with this if he did not treat me like crap and my mother was not an alcoholic. But this is how it is. I am sitting here hating my life at the moment. Yeah Im such a brat
(1)

I always thought that red underwear was the racy color. I wear black underwear and don't feel especially naughty when I'm wearing it. I close my blinds when I undress. Not that I think anyone would be thrilled but ya never know. :)
(4)

I forgot about that issue Nina.. good point. Maybe bridesmaids dresses from weddings past? You know they always say "you can wear this one again... NOT "
Tacy I am dyeing here...LOL Wait until she finds out how uncomfortable they are, and how hot after a bit...
(3)

Pam - Send... maybe Pagans and WIccans sing Halloween songs ( no one flame me please,,,joking!!)
And Kellie.. we are mostly blowing off steam and laughing at each other.. welcome aboard!

-----------------------------------------------
As a pagan, I can attest that we are too busy honoring our Samhain holiday.

Wouldn't flame anyone for calling out our Pagan community. It's not what we are about. Everyone has an opinion and notions regarding our religion.
(3)

Hey pamz, I like the wetsuit idea... but, I'd certainly kill myself trying to climb in the shower with swim fins on my feet! LOL!!!
(3)

Oh Gosh Send now that song in in my head..LOL I still shower in the buff too, we must go look for suitable shower atire... maybe a wetsuit? With tanks? gonna hurt if we fall however...
(4)

"Life is too serious to be taken seriously." love that.
(1)

CM, I only remember: "Hit me with your best shot, fire awayyyy!"

As far as showering and what everyone is wearing, I still shower without clothing. That's still 'normal', right?
(4)

Can't tie 'em in a bow, CW. Or not yet anyway :/

Ali I can't really understand how the Monster Mash got released the first time, so the 2008 revamp, wail... Is this the country that bred Edward Elgar and nurtured Yehudi Menuhin? Head in hands...

Is that your excuse, Send??? "Your son" liked Madness, hm? :)

My mother came into the room one Sunday lunchtime while my kids were bopping around to my old record collection and said "is that 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick'?" Indeed it was, or as Daughter put it: "Granny! You rocker!" And that song is about the universality of musical instinct, by the way, and I refuse to know any different.
(1)

And, wasn't that 'Monster Mash" released with: 'Our house, in the middle of the street, that was where we like to eat"
My son was a teenager.
(1)

Just to help you get The Monster Mash out of your head, all the chat about boobs hanging low got me thinking about that good old camp song Do Your Ears Hang Low... substitute boobs for ears :)
(4)

CM ~ Apparently, your part of the world can't get enough of that song. lol I was curious so I Googled the re-releases to look for a reason. Didn't find that but found this -- "The 'Monster Mash' re-entered the British Charts again on November 2, 2008 at #60."

Seriously?! lol

Considering some of the things that pass for Popular Music in the U.S., having that tune back around would be a welcome change... for a minute...
(1)

Hallowe'en songs... The Monster Mash!

They did the mash
It was the monster mash
The monster mash
It was a graveyard smash

Can anybody else remember the rest of it before I go completely round the bend, please? And why was this record released and what was the occasion and how the heck did it get into the top 10 back in the seventies..?
(1)

Send... maybe Pagans and WIccans sing Halloween songs ( no one flame me please,,,joking!!)
And Kellie.. we are mostly blowing off steam and laughing at each other.. welcome aboard!
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter