Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Mom was trading her magazine aloud to her sitter while waiting fir dinner and came across a riddle

What kind of bow can't you tie in a knot?
(0)

I can see where we are going to have to make this game a bit more challenging
(1)

Talking like the Capt won't help you but telling them you baby sat the accused when he was a baby and thanking the judge for his Christmas card did the trick for one friend. I just told them I was an alien and that got me off plus it was true. Another non citizen we know actually sat on a jury because she did not know she had to be a citizen and they never found out.
(2)

The lights are much brighter there. You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares.
(3)

Downtown!
(3)

How to get out of jury duty... I have never tried it but I think if you showed up talking like Captain on one of his rants you would probably be excused. If you show up dressed like an evil clown and talk like Cap you might get tasered, not a good plan!!!
(2)

Where can you go when life is making you lonely?
(1)

Send
The winner gets that warm feeling inside from happy endorphins being released
And of course applause 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
(2)

Or one of those evil clowns.....
(3)

In the mail-jury summons-appearance on oct. 31st. Halloween? Is this a joke?
How am I going to pass airport-like security at the courthouse? I was thinking of dressing like the axe murderer! Omg!
(2)

Ms. Madge, No one wants in n out in the mail, what does the winner get?
Applause?
(1)

King of the Road sung by Roger Miller
(2)

I love that song!
(2)

Trailers for sale or rent,
rooms to let, fifty cents...
(3)

Name that tune

No phone no pool no pets
(1)

Ms. Madge, Sorry for your Mom's roommate, I hope she recovers too.
(1)

My behaving badly times are getting clipped wings-today "WE" are accommodating rides for a co-worker. Even so, glad to be of help to someone other than hubs and I. Hopefully, I can do this-yeah, right, she said sarcastically-with one hand tied behind my back. Lol.
I just hate sarcastic humor, sorry.
(0)

Mom's poor roommate was taken To the hospital last night -
I Hope she is able to recover
(1)

Driving with the windows up.
There is no Viking in the passenger seat, but the driver can get verbal, and if someone heard it, that would be embarrassing.
(2)

In n Out is a hamburger chain based in Southern California that started in the 1940s and just serves burgers and fries made from freshly peeled potatoes on site- the chain is still family owned and has a tremendous following
(1)

My Mom was just the opposite.As she sat in her liftchair with 2 heating pads and blankets covering her,she wanted the fans on high and close to her and the air conditioning on 65 all year round and I always had to wear a jacket.It was Freezing!
(1)

My mom puts the long fleecy undies on as soon it gets below 70.. LOL
(1)

You're right about beserkers being in Viking lore - they had a very ferse [sp?]reputation ... think Eric the Red
What is 'in & out' - is that a drive through restaurant or what
Happy thanksgiving this weekend to 'those in the know' - we've got warm to hot weather here today was 29 degrees C with humidex - looking forward to cooler temps soon
My dad has his room so hot the I leave sweating & he's wearing a sweater! but he was that way in his 40's/50's/60's/70/s/80's so why different in his 90's - does anyone else get this problem? - should I wear shorts in a snow storm?
(1)

Va sar god, Jingle

We have now coined the phrase - she's going to go Viking - when my mom who is all Norwegian is agitated with a UTI
(0)

Doesn't it come from the old Norse "berserkr", something like a Norse warrior becoming unhinged? (Full disclosure: I was married to a Norwegian for ten years.) Anyway, that's what I seem to recall.
(2)

Has anyone seen Willy and Nilly? I have been running around Willy-Nilly and I think I lost them awhile back. Maybe they just could not keep up the pace.
Where'd they go?
Oh well, eat my dust Willy and Nilly.
(3)

FF I refer to those drivers as the "bait car"... LOL If the cops get them they don;t get me... hee hee
(2)

Weren't the original berserkers a raiding group? Like "hooligan" - apologies if this offends anyone, but it is historical - was derived from an Irish family name; and "assassin" has its roots in hashish, which is what these particular special forces used (and still do use) for their own brand of Dutch courage.

It is interesting to delve into these things. Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable is useful, too; though you often need to go back to past editions because it gets updated regularly and older-fashioned phrases drop out of the collection.

What's getting my goat at the moment (wonder where that expression comes from?) though is the loss of perfectly sound, neutral technical terms which have become offensive because they are seen as pejorative even when in their correct context they are no such thing. There was a disabled lady on the radio yesterday flipping out about the word "abnormal"; but the man who'd said it, innocently if somewhat cluelessly, was merely contrasting normal with abnormal, i.e. not normal, i.e. not usual or typical. And that is *all* it means, when you're talking about foetal development. It's not a slur on people with disabilities, for crying out loud.

It took me straight back to explaining to a Jamaican classmate that the word "discrimination" merely meant drawing distinctions between groups, and did not necessarily imply that one of the groups was being singled out for unjust treatment. He trusted me on these things but still looked deeply troubled by the notion, even when our sociology lecturer backed me up.

That radio discussion, by the way, was about a new non-invasive prenatal test for Down Syndrome. Well, I say "discussion." Five very upset people shouting at one another for forty minutes, really.
(0)

So berserk is derived from old Norse - in reference to a special group of Vikings that would fight with wild abandon and fury

Evidently mom was channeling her ancestors when she told a man she was trying to keep at bay one night that when she goes berserk she's been known to kill ten people at a time - ha ha ha
(3)

I like etymology. :-) Cool stuff. I looked it up and I think I remember learning that before, but I had forgotten.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter