Follow

I have been unable to find other caregivers in the same situation as I am. Anoxic Brain injury. My daughter had what was finally called "Sudden Cardiac Death"... lack of oxygen after a heart attack left her with brain injury. This will be the 7th year come July. My husband and I have been caring for her in our home for 6 full years now. I gave up my job to caregive. It is frustrating not to find others like myself that care for their child. I am now 53 years old and my daughter is now 30. There is nothing out there for the young people.. I wonder why that is. Even "Life Care" facilities are all reared for the elderly. I have alot of fear. My daughter is very very healthy as am I and my husband.. but being able to determine what should become of my daughter if something should happen to my husband and myself is very unsettling. Just nowhere to turn for assistance.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I am sorry for your difficulties. I don't know anything about help in your situation, but I hope someone else will see this and know where to point you.
(0)

bbrady, it sounds like you would be more comfortable if you were to make a plan. The number of facilities that specialize in brain-injured young people are sparse, but they are out there. You could look around for these facilities and arrange for placement in the event that something happens to you and your husband. Perhaps you can take out life insurance policies that will help pay for your daughter's care. We do not know your daughter's abilities. I know there are facilities that handle severely mentally retarded young people. We had a person that discussed this on the group a year or two ago. She talked of two facilities that she was considering. It was through this person I learned that the facilities were available.

I hope you are able to find a plan that fits your daughter's needs. My heart goes out to you and your family. Life is not supposed to go this way. You are still young, so I hope that you are able to take out good life insurance that will provide for your daughter's needs and find a facility that has caring people. I hope that you will not need the facility anytime in the near future, but it is comforting to have a plan in place just in case.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter