Follow

My mom has two main ones. Whenever I take her out to eat, when she finishes, she's "full as a tick." I get to hear that at least 5X before I get her home. The other thing is every time I take her out (she moved up here to the Chicago suburbs from central Illinois), she "can't get over the TREES up here." I think she thought she'd live in a concrete canyon instead of a suburb with lots of normal greenery.

So what does your loved ones repeat until you're ready to scream??? :)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I am in the kitchen cooking.....My MIL always says... Honey can I help you.....? 2 minutes later, Honey can I help you? Five minutes later, honey can I help you? My husband does not want me to cook so he doesn't have to hear his mother say....... you guessed it! Honey can I help you? Sooooooooo annoying because she can't help. The other main things she says is...... I must call my parents.......(She is 94) Or when are you going to take me home while she is sitting in her living room. if you don't take me home I'll call a cab! My husband says.... what address are you going to ask to go to?
(1)

What??? HUH????? What??? Say that again!!!! What???? HUH????
(3)

It also drives me crazy when she says "idea" She pronounces it "I dear".
(2)

I'm not telling you what to do... but if I were you
(2)

Where are the keys to 'that car'... and "when I get home I have to..(insert anything here) He doesn't drive and he's been here almost a year.. SMH
(2)

Mom lives with us and has for almost 2 years. She's always asking, "Is it ok if I stay here?" or "Do I live here?" It changes, though. Before that it was, "Where are my parents?" (Mom's 81 and they've been gone since 1983 and 1989.) And, although not as much as she used to, I get a lot of the "Is there anything I can do to help?" as well. Oh, the most recent is when she's finished eating, she says, "That was really good. Remember how you did that." I'm like, "Mom, I got the recipe from you years ago..."
(2)

"What day is it?"
"Huh? ... ... I don't know why I said huh because I heard you."
"I'm going to have to call Mr. X to tell him to finish the job on the house." (This job was finished two years ago.
"What day is it?"
"Huh."

Oh, I'm so mean. She can't help it, but I still get crazy.
(3)

Not mean at all Jess. Finding the humor in it really helps. Every time I mention anything to my brother about the Ear Dr. or her hearing aids he says...."WHAT????" and we both giggle like kids.
(4)

Can I have a McDonald's Frappé now?
I've been good can I have a Frappé?
Did you get me a Frappé?
(5)

Sometimes while she's drinking it!
(7)

LOL!
(0)

Just a small? I ate..
(1)

Kinda feel bad but it gets quite annoying
(1)

Norest and Cat, same thing here.

I haven't talked to my mother in a long time, what do you mean she's dead, why didn't anyone tell me? What can I do to help. Will then give her silverware to set the table, which I will find later, maybe in the bathroom.:-O

Where are Jane, Sally and Linda? (not our real names) When she is looking right at me, but looking for her little girls. What do you mean your sisters moved out? They're living with boys, aren't they. Why didn't they tell me they were married. I didn't help them plan their weddings. I'm a terrible mother. I'm an awful daughter.

AAARRRGGGHHH! I'm tired now.
(4)

Blannie.... great idea...... this is a fun thread....... We are not alone!
(2)

"Oh there you are?" "I thought you went out"
(5)

"I want a cookie"
"Is it cold out there?"
"I want a cookie"
"Is it cold out there?"
(5)

ANYTHING happens to a computer or electrical item: "Maybe we should call Robert" (my BIL who is an IT professional. Never mind that I am perfectly capable of fixing most problems and Robert is two hours away.)

"Hunh" whenever she sees a commercial for a restaurant. This means she wants to go there but won't ask.
(3)

julidu - yours is hilarious! (I'm sure it isn't when it's happening.)

My husband's grandmother used to say this a lot near the end: "Listen, listen, the cat's pissin'." I have no idea where that came from but we still say it to each other and now it makes us smile. Back then it was embarrassing.
(7)

"are you hungry?" "did you eat?" answers given...10 min later same questions, 10 min later, 10 min later ...you get the picture. For some reason its always about eating. My mother will even wake me up at midnight on a work night to ask me if I'm hungry lol sometimes I eat just to satisfy her questions but then 10 min later she's forgotten I've eaten and it starts all over again. If I ate every time she asked (and she's relentless about eating), I'd be 500 pounds by the end of it! She means well. She tells me she this is what a good hostess does for her guest (me). She forgets I live there.
(7)

So glad I am not alone
(3)

Hehe.... this is really a fun thread to read!! Seems we all have the "What can I do to help"? problem ;) Uhm, there's really nothing much my mom can do anymore to help... cept maybe the dishes and I've got to sneak and redo them !!.... It doesn't matter where we are going in the car, it's 50 times of "Where are we going"? over and over and OVER!! YIKES!!!
The worst for me, is not so much as what she says all the time, it's what she does. I have 2 medium dogs, like most dogs they LOVE to follow me from room to room, especially the kitchen if I am making something. Well.... I might as well have said I have 3 dogs bcuz mom is right in the middle with them following me room to room!! LOL!! I have a hard time moving around the house trying to get things done as I'm always dodging or tripping over all 3 of em!!...not to mention the eerie feeling I get with 6 eyes on me while in the shower!!
(3)

JeanetteB your post made me laugh!! :)
(2)

"did I show you this" "have you seen this" "did I show you this" have you see this" did I show you this".................................
(5)

She constantly fights me about the fact I sort her meds $ give them to her. I'm so sick of that. She says she can do it, but the doctors told me when she was diagnosed not to let her administer her own meds bc she could make a fatal mistake.. If you have a parent with Dementia, their Neurologist is required by law to notify the DMV & they suspend the person"s driver's license. If they've dropped the ball, call the doctor & the DMV so they can get the ball running on his driving.
(1)

"I'll wash my hair tomorrow. I just washed it yesterday." Said every day.
(2)

I want to go home
(5)

"Bosha bosha bosha" under her breath. No idea what it means, it's just a random noise she makes and seems to be made when something is too hard... like eating...

"Here's your lunch. Pick up your spoon and eat it all up"
"*sigh* bosha bosha bosha..."
(2)

When we go out to eat, she will sit there weighing 98 pounds and say "I'm not hungry, I'll just have water" .... while Hubby and I, both considerably well fed, order regular meals. Of course I order for her. When she protests that she isn't hungry, I tell her that if we stuffed ourselves and gave her only water, not only would we feel bad about it, but someone would call the police for elder abuse. Oh, and she usually does eat what shows up..
(2)

inmate my mom does the same thing! I took her to IHOP for lunch this week and she "wasn't hungry" but ate about 3/4 of the Belgian waffle, scrambled eggs and hash browns that I got for her. :)
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter