Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I read that the original latkes were made from root veg like turnip - may try it sometime. I press mine down when frying so they are thinner, and only use enough flour (cornstarch these days) and egg to hold the shredded potato together. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside - yum!!! I think other variations are possible.
(1)

Jeanne, they sound like latkes to me. I hand grated them too, till I got a food processor, but hadn't made them in years. Grated potatoes, a little onion, some flour and an egg to hold them together, and fry in oil.till crispy outside. I was taught to soak up the moisture from the grated potatoes with an old tea towel kept for that purpose, before mixing with the other ingredients. G's family leave the moisture in. I do it my way. Serve with apple sauce, and/or sour cream. Watching Lassie sounds like fun too. G loves them. Maybe I'll make him some tomorrow night. Mine are fairly thin - sort of lacey even when fried.
(3)

We often had potato pancakes for Sunday night supper, watching Lassie on tv, if I recall. I can remember Ma grating all those potatoes by hand. I make them sometimes and a food processor sure beats a hand grater! I don't think these are latkes, though. Latkes are my son's favorite item in a local deli and I've tasted his, but I don't like them as well as Ma's or mine. For one thing they are thicker.
(3)

thx cat. You are welcome any time you want to brave the elements. Most of the time I do pretty well. The gluten and dairy free is a challenge when it comes to baking, but I made an acceptable pie the other day. Cakes are easier, and cookies and biscuits, but I wouldn't try bread. I think the moose will end up as stew, and maybe some soup. One great way to serve the more tender pieces of moose is to stir fry -with onions, green peppers and mushrooms, and a little white wine if you have it. G loves bean soup, and pea soup, and that is what I will use the ham bone for. I put lots of veg in bean or pea soup, and chunks of ham so it makes a meal. The cloves from the ham ( I glaze hams - cloves, mustard, brown sugar, pineapple juice and decorate with pineapple rings and cherries) give it a nice fragrance. Most of it is pretty basic G's mum is a good baker, but I gather she is not as good a meat cook. The first time i served G stew, he got a dreamy look in his eyes, and declared it was the best gravy he had ever tasted, A little red wine helps. Maybe time to try those dumplings. or make some latkes (potato pancakes) again. Does anyone make them?
(4)

Joan: I would love to be in your house and at the table when you are cooking!!!
(1)

Jeanne - just waiting on G to figure out the best time. He doesn't know when holidays are at work and we want to make the best use of the time he has. The theatre is in Edmonton, so a 5 - 6 hr drive away. I have enjoyed every show I have been to at this dinner theatre. We will think of you and Coy when we go. ((((((hugs))))))))
Lisa - too funny about Jen and Doug! Love the scene in Walmart!!! Now you know! I'll tell you my grocery store fart story one day. Re wine tasting - we were very moderate - sipped a wine, bought a bottle for our hosts, sipped a little ice wine, and left. Never had it before, but it was good. We don't drink much. I like my calories in other forms. ;) Glad Ray's surgery etc. is going OK. Nice of the aunt to include you, but then why wouldn't she? You are so much part of that family. Yes, it put a smile on my face - thx. :-D Love ya too Joan
(1)

Joan, so glad you enjoyed your trip and were able to meet with your friends. I think Jeanne gave the perfect advice. You'll figure it out.
As you and cat saw on Facebook, I took Doug and Jen wine tasting. I learned a valuable lesson. Take them straight home and never stop at walmart first. Good grief! They had people laughing in the grocery aisles. Even explained to a few people they went wine tasting. They had such I fit of the giggles it was contagious. Then, oh good grief! Doug let fly with a fart. That caused even more laughter and he had to sit on the bottom shelf of the bake aisle. I was never so glad to get those two home. We brought the groceries in and the two of them were out on the couches within an hour.

Doug takes ray to get his stitches out tomorrow and have his forehead done. Dr assured us this one will be a piece of cake. One of the aunts called me around noon and asked me to come see her tomorrow. She's downsizing because her health is failing she feels. She wants me to have something of hers. I can't tell you how honored I feel to be included along with my sil's. She's 87 and as active as ray is. First we've heard she's in bad health. We see her at pil's at least once a week. So much death in the family in the last 3 years. So I'm going to get off here and call her daughter. Hope my Doug and jens antics put a smile on your faces. Be back in a while. Love ya, Lisa
(5)

Our local history theater put on The Buddy Holly Story and Coy absolutely adored it. We saw it twice! I hope you and G enjoy it that much, Joan!
(3)

Thanks Jeanne for the advice, and Cat, and Jeanne for the support, It was the kick in the codependency butt that I needed. Yesterday, coincidentally, I was compiling some info on detachment, and it was ringing in my ears as I wrote this morning; however, that was where I was at. In retrospect, obviously, I need to maintain serious distance from my mother. Even this small exchange has had a negative effect on me. Yes, there is little I can do, except keep my distance, and not get sucked in to whatever ensues in the future. I have responded to her positively, and lightly, and will leave it at that.
Dinner theatre should be fun -The Buddy Holly Story! I will not be able to eat much, but G can tuck in. Their spread is great.
The tuna cans and blue tights are back on, moose meat is simmering on the stove, as well as a ham bone for soup. Today it is minus 15 F, and I don't want to go out. Tomorrow should be warmer.
I am pleased that I kept up with everyone sight seeing, though my gut acted up a little, but nothing that lasted. It was cold outside and inside - my friends keep their house at about 65 degrees, Brrrrr! G wants to go south in February, and I need to get my passport in order to go with him. It is one way of surviving these winters. Take care all - Love Joan
(2)

Joan: Glad you are home safe and had a good time. Love the dinner theater idea and hope it's works perfectly for the two of you. Loved Jeanne's advise to you concerning mom.

Jeanne, I wish you all blessing for this Christmas and the new year.

Love you both, Cat
(2)

Joan, dinner theater sounds like a perfect holiday treat. I hope you can get the tickets you want! And I hope you can convince yourself not to be too concerned about your mother's possible move. Since there isn't much you can do anyway, fretting about it is a waste of energy. If there is fallout after the honeymoon is over you'll cope with it then, hopefully with as little investment of your energy as possible. (Just get out the tights and tuna cans again and do your best.) Hugs to you, dear lady.

I wish everyone a happy holiday. And if that is too much to manage this year, I wish you minimum stress and maximum calm.

Love, Jeanne
(4)

Hi all - back from the trip - in body anyway. It was great seeing the falls and my long time friends. We picked up where we left off after 18 years. I am tired still, but, more than that, feeling some depression coming on which probably relates to mother's latest.
Two weeks ago mother was evaluated at her ALF and told she could stay, and was happy about that. Yesterday she emailed me saying she was going to move, and a friend was arranging it. This friend knows a nurse who runs a small "home", I gather - (reading between the lines) where she looks after about 6 people. Mother has met the nurse and was very impressed. Apparently this nurse looked after the friend's boyfriend's wife until she died. Mother does not know where it is, or when she is moving, or much about it at all apparently, but seems to trust them. I know that Mother panicked when she knew she was going to have the evaluation, wrote me, and, no doubt told the friend - that she (mother) had no family, was going to be evaluated and put into a nursing home. I do not have contact with this friend, though have asked mother for it. I have POA, (which includes medical) but since mother is still considered competent, I do not exercise it. Mother has known this lady for many years, but has not had a close relationship with her for quite a while. (They had a bit if a run in years ago). I have offered mother help with the move and asked to be put in contact with Christine, the friend, so far without success. Of course, mother will keep control anyway she can, which includes keeping information from me. I have no idea what kind if facility it is, whether she will need much furniture etc. She has already arranged for someone to place her paintings from Haiti, and has told the ALF that she will be leaving. I am concerned as to whether this is a good move. The last time mother arranged something for herself, she was "snowed" by someone who promised good care, but did not deliver. I don't think that these people have an agenda in terms of personal gain, though I can't be sure. They certainly don't know that she has Borderline Personality Disorder, and I am sure that she has told a convincing tale about being abandoned by family, and the ALF wanting her to move out. I can check out the latter by a phone call to the manager. It may be a good move for her, as, at her age, having a registered nurse around would be good. Any time I have talked with her about a facility with more care, she has dismissed me, and basically said she would get the information herself. What concerns me is that these people have no idea what they are getting into. I know perfectly well that it will not be a bed of roses, and though mother is pleased with their help right now, she will certainly find things that displease her in short order. Even at her age she is entitled to make her own decisions, and in many ways I am not unhappy to have someone else help her with these. On the other hand, I don't want to be saddled with the fall out, if it does not meet her expectations -which, no doubt, it won't. She is in the "honeymoon" period with this friend right now, but that never lasts. She is getting her "narcissistic supply" of attention. I suppose as long as she is decently cared for, I need not be too concerned. Oh well!
Any suggestions?
jeanne -you did so well - wonderful photos - I especially liked the ones of Coy with the babies and grandbabies.
got my gift card too and haven't decided what to spend it on
Lisa -how are the pil, and your beautiful daughters? Congrats on the weight loss. No more news from the DQ I gather
(((((((hugs)))))) - hope everyone survives the up-coming holidays
check in and let us know how you are. Think I am hanging up my blue tights and tuna cans for a while, and hibernating. G left for more meetings the evening if the day we arrived - feast or famine here in terms of time together. I came home to my messy house, and must get to throwing out more stuff. If I empty out an area I will have to barricade it off, as G will fill up any available space. Could be worse. We are planning a dinner theatre experience for our Christmas thing if I can get tickets for the right day. Love to all Joan
(5)

And, the Amazon gift card worked. Used it within 5 minutes of getting it. I had a few things in my Amazon basket, just waiting to be purchased. The timing was perfect.
Good to see you back, Cat.
Lisa, did the nurse commit suicide? They were saying her death was being investigated. Did they think someone murdered her? How awful for those dj's to get a laugh at her expense. They're not laughing now. How sad.
(1)

Did everyone get an Amazon Gift Certificate from AC? I got one and Judy did, others also. Hugs, Cat
(2)

Well Jeanne, you know how bad my computer skills are, but by golly I will find the slide show. How wonderful for you to share it with us. And you always make us KAW so very proud.

Before I go beanie, did you see on the news what those djs did? And the nurse committing suicide over it?

Love you all! Lisa
(2)

Jeanne: With all the glitches, you carried it off. I'm sure Coy was smiling down and saying, "That's my amazing wife." I viewed the pictures and thank you so much for making them available to us. Coy was a handsome man. You are a beautiful woman, inside and out. I hope you are getting some rest and feeling better. Send love and comfort to you. Cat
(3)

Jeanne, aside from the weather, your GI prob and losing your new black shoes, it seems like everything went smoothly. Sounds like Coy was very well loved, with that many people speaking - sounds so personal and well planned and executed. Thanks for the info for the slide show. That first picture, of Coy with the pipe in his mouth and the old cars in the background, even the look on his face - its like a Hollywood poster. I hope you're well today, and got some sleep.
(2)

Thanks for thinking of me today friends. I woke up this morning feeling awful. Just didn't want to get out of bed, and also had GI problems. Ugh! And out the window snow was accumulating like crazy on the shrubs and street and driveway. I kept thinking, gee, maybe the funeral home lady was right and it was crazy to attempt to manage the memorial service myself. And then I thought, no! I'm a KAW, and I can do this! Convincing my gut was another matter. I tried making myself a soothing cup of green tea -- and poured cold water over the teabag. :( In the shower I couldn't find my shampoo (cleaning lady moved it). I got dressed (borrowed one of Coy's leftover Depends for the occasion -- better safe than sorry) but absolutely could not find my new black dress shoes. Sigh. The bedroom has been reconfigured twice since I bought them so maybe it wasn't just me and they really are lost. Meanwhile I'm getting lots of calls from people who were going to come but who 1) couldn't get out of their driveway, 2) knew it would take too long to get here, or 3) actually started out but had to turn back because of whiteout conditions. (For those of you who don't live in the Winter Wonderland, whiteout conditions are when it looks like someone dumped a gallon of whiteout -- remember that from days of typewriters? -- over all the windows of your car.)

I got to the funeral home an hour early, as requested, to greet early guests (ha!) and my son-in-law and grandsons shoveled the parking lot. (The plowing service had done it an hour earlier but the lot was completely covered again.)

We got started a half-an-hour late and, of course, with a much smaller attendance than expected the day before. But the service went without a hitch and it was really very nice. Eight family members spoke about their dad/grandfather, including two who couldn't be there and had their statements read by someone else. We had 4 pieces of music. It was really very touching. I had asked a friend from my support group to be ready to take over reading if someone choked up. It was nice to have a backup plan, but it wasn't needed. There were a few pauses but everyone could carry on. We also read a nice tribute from his Mayo Clinic dementia doctor.

My sister was at my house setting out an absolutely amazing spread. We were expecting 70 to 100 people so she made food for 100. There were probably 50 to 60 at the service, and many of them headed back through the terrible weather immediately and didn't come for refreshments. Let me tell you that there is A LOT of food in my fridge this minute! And amazing platters of cookies and bars that I'll think about freezing tomorrow. (Or maybe I'll just eat them.)

I ordered 4 peace lilies and 4 Christmas cactus to decorate the service room, and then for each of the children to take home.

I went to bed before the last guest left. I was just too exhausted to stay on my feet. But after a few hours nap I'm up again nibbling. Think I'll go check how much shrimp was left ...

The funeral home has a slide show on their web site. You could search for Dignity Memorial and then enter Coy Replogle and MN to find his if you are interested. Here is the key: When he is young and with a young woman, it is his first wife. When he is old and with a young woman it is his daughter (or sometimes a granddaughter). When he is old and with an old woman, it is me!

I think I hear a brownie calling me ... gotta go now.
(9)

Well, green man can also be used as a symbol of fertility, so maybe you're on to something there, Beanie... One of our neighbors must not be home, because his lights are on, nice and bright, and there's a pair of very naughty reindeer all lit up in center stage in his yard, as big as life, and they've been like that all day.... I might have to get a bucket of cold water to throw over there...
(3)

Green Man is cool! He looks like a demented Santa Claus. Perhaps he forced the people you may or may not know to rearrange some members of your neighborhood's display of lights. (This is also the face my husband and my cat get when they are doing something silly and get caught.)
(1)

Hahahahahaha! Nice one, Beanie! I should be irritated with the kid, right? I don't think I could keep a straight face to reprimand him though. I hope this is as bad as his antics get.
Cat, got your question about my avatar... its "green man". This one is supposed to be a winter version. I'm trying to be festive... but maybe not so much? A wreath better? Ugh. I have no decorations up and no real gifts bought, except for one thing for each kid's stocking. Green man is about as festive as it gets for now.
(3)

Lisa, I read on here you are a royal watcher; me too. KATE IS PREGNANT! At last! The royal baby watch begins....... Speaking of babies, Judy what will you do with all the baby lighted reindeer??????? (Wonder how you store those?)
(4)

Jeanne, hope you are doing o.k. Hugs.
(0)

I'm not saying my kid and his friends did this... but SOMEONE went out in the middle of the night... You know those lighted reindeer everyone seems to have in their front yards.... well, it seems that all of them in my neighborhood were put in mating positions... LOL!
(5)

Me too! Me too! :) holding you close to my heart today Jeanne!
(1)

Jeanne as everyone has said, you are a very strong woman. My thoughts and prayers are with you, also.
(1)

Me too, Jeanne. I thought about you last night, considered the time difference, and hoped you were getting a good nights sleep. With you in spirit today.
(1)

Jeanne, you're on my mind this morning. xx
(1)

Jeanne, I sure hope you post your words from the memorial service on cb. It would be so wonderful in some small way to celebrate coys life with you. It's just a thought.
(3)

I'm amazed at how strong you are, Jeanne. I'll be thinking about you Sunday.
Austin, Sharyn, Joan, Lisa.... You all remind me of a picture I saw of a pretty flower growing out of a crack in a sidewalk - not a nice way to grow up, but the end result is beautiful despite it.
Lisa - how are you holding up with the fil?
cmagnum, I always tell my kids to step outside of themselves to see a situation the way someone else would. I do it to try to make them aware of other people's feelings, but you're right, it would encourage them to be objective about their own actions too, as well as being aware of how it effects others. Hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks!
Cat, sending you some love.
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter