Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Lisa! What a long, hard, dark road you have traveled, but you are in the clearing now and can finally enjoy the sunshine. Go outside, take a long walk, take time to re-connect with the world around you -- the good part. I hope you have the best Mother's day ever. Make it all about you. God Bless!
(3)

Cry all you need to, Lisa. It's been a living hell, but she is out. Out! Enjoy your mothers day and then Monday rent a short term storage facility. Move everything she owns into it. (I'd say do it tomorrow but I know you have happier mother's day plans). Call the painter and the carpet guy for estimates. Get yourself to Lowes and pick a paint color. Do it through tears if you need to. When she finally gets into where ever she will live next, you can let go of the storage room.
You hung in there. You did everything right. We are so proud of you. I have tears in my eyes because it happened, and you didn't need to wait for a room to open up! She will never live in your home again.
Crying isn't just sadness. I think of it as emotional weather, same as a rain storm. It comes through and passes on. Nothing to worry about, it's not monsoon season. It's just life, getting better.
(8)

Prayers to you!!!!!
(2)

Elisa, I have been reading this from the begining... what awesome support you have.... and now she is gone.... you are to be applauded, hugged, and hugged some more for what you endured before all this started, much less what you have gone thru since posting the first time.... I do understand the tears... please know you are loved and honored.... hope your experiance has set a precedent for others that need thier eldes out of their house..... HAPPY MOHTER's Day... Enjoy your family... and I'll be thinking of you.... job well done.... very well done...
(4)

I caught myself crying today when my mother started one of her tricks. I imagine we are both crying because we want the type of mother so many other people seem to have, and we both know we have lived with a form of hell for most our lives. We are grieving for what we did not have but deserved. However, we are strong women who can help others, so remember how much you are loved and that you are not the one with the problem: your mother is. Love and Happy Mother's Day - Rebecca
(10)

She's gone for good. Social worker at hospital was near tears when we talked. And why am I crying. In a bad spot emotionally but I promise I'll be back here in a few hours.
(4)

Lisa do not dare take her back or I will put in in that darn black hole-if you do not know what I am talking about we will clue you in-and she instigated it herself-God's providence good ridence-we want details when you get a chance-maybe you will have a good Mother's day after all.
(3)

Right, Lisa, you cannot care for her anymiore. Prayers for this transition to be as smooth as possible.
(2)

Fingers are crossed! I hope they keep her. Good luck. Sending positive energy your way. xx
(4)

I'll tell you all the story when I get home. Keep praying for us!!!!
(5)

It's happened!!! She came to the living room and literally threw the phone at me. I picked it up and he said mamm, this is 911. Another insurance scam. All her vitals were great. I made them take her. Me and Jennifer are on our way to hospital now to make sure they keep her. I'm telling them she cannot come back here, I can no longer care for her right????
(9)

P.S . . . My sisters do all his transportation now, and he doesn't dare drive alone!!!!
(0)

I only learned last summer the understanding of why I felt responsible for everything. I finally made a huge breakthrough about myself. Since then things have changed. Oh yes . . . I know all about cabs, as well as elderly transportation; absolutely no way with him. You see he believes he doesn't need it. He actually thinks he's completely capable of driving! That is why I finally stopped everything. I still live here, but by giving my sisters no choice except to be here I am free. I've had a great person from Elderly Affairs guiding me through this, along with my therapist. They all suggested this, and I finally understand that I now need to take care of myself or I'll get really sick. I think after 5 years of doing it all I deserve it. I also do not feel one iota of guilt. I only wish I had known what I know now 5 yrs ago. I would have been so much easier on myself instead of feeling like I had to be "Caregiver God" to my dad! Thank you for caring. This site has helped me so much in times when I've "stumbling in the dark"!
(2)

Endo---you said that there was no choice but for you to go with him to his treatments...is there a reason why he could not go via taxi cab? If he is alert enough to drive, he should be able to call a cab to take him and pick him up when he is finished. Many communities have special transit systems for elderly and disabled folks...they help them on the bus and help them off and take them in to their appointments...for about 2 dollars. You have to call a couple of days ahead of time, and then he calls them when he's finishe dwith his appt. Might have to wait a little while for them to come, but he's in the dr office....

I've learned that when I *think* there are no other options but for me to sacrifice myself, what's really happening is that I am either refusing to look at the bigger picture or and simply don't realize that a bigger picture exists. I always think that my dad should be the one to change, but truly...the change starts with me. Changing my way of reacting to his *emergencies*; changing the way I allow myself to be manipulated; changing the way I solve problems related to him. And then creating barriers and saying what solutions I can offer him, but let him take it or leave it, rather than start a negotiation process. You are terribly tangled in his activities....start looking at how to untangle yourself and let him fend for himself if he really is able OR move the thing he *needs* you to do to other providers. Like Elisa, sounds like you've made a good start and as you can see from this thread, that first step can get you where you need to go. It might take time, though, so start TODAY. Best wishes.
(6)

End of: girl you better start letting go of all that anger because it will consume you till it eats you alive. Are you still working on getting your own place or do you live with him? I look back and see my whole personality changed when mom moved in here. And it's always been my biggest fear that I would act like her. No danger of that. I know that now. Don't let yourself take on his bitterness and anger. Think happy thoughts about when your free of the verbal abuse.
(4)

You hae a wonderful man and daughters, and you deserve them. Enjoy your day!!!
(4)

I hope all of my mommy friends have a terrific mothers day weekend! Years ago Doug started a tradition with the girls were small. They would of course buy me a gift, but they gave of themselves. They would clean the house spotless, catch up the laundry, ( beths passion now) and help me plant all the flowers I buy the week before. They still do this after all these years and I LOVE IT!!!! the whole weekend is all about me. I am so spoiled. I wake up this morning and Doug has all my flower beds weeded and ready.
(7)

endof I am glad you are not driving with him to treatments -now maybe you can give the sibs other things to do for him-one that you would like to give up-it is only fair they help more-if he has the money hire someone to do things for him-you have given your all and not been appreciated.
(1)

Have a good weekend, Lisa! This should be the last one with the "crazy lady down the hall" .... right? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and my incense lit, and you're still on my mind - every time I get on the computer, I've got to check the Lisa Story. I like stories with happy endings and yours is definitely looking that way. I'm being harrassed by a bobcat war these past few nights. The dang thing is spraying/peeing on both my front door and the sliding glass door on the back patio. I had to have the dog put down 2 weeks ago (so sad) and it seems like since the dog has been gone, we've had bobcats take over, although one of my sons says its a chupacabra. I'll battle the chupacabra with the overactive bladder and look forward to your story updates! xx, Judy
(3)

I don't take him anymore. I left EVERYTHING to my sisters now. It's time for them to take over. They hate it but they have no choice. For me it's no more anything except loving my father, and making sure I'm here at night. After 5 years of doing it all myself I have finally taken a bit of my life back. In all these years of living here and caring for him completely on my own with not as much as a "How are you", or "Thanks for caring for dad" I have finally said NO MORE!!! Of course they don't clean . . . are you kidding??? They do however bring food, and take him to and from dialysis. I have taken such a mental, and physical beating these last years that I feel dead myself. It pissed me off that he could be so delusional that he thought he was fine to drive . . . with me in the passenger seat no less!!! I feel pissed about every single thing associated with the devoted care I've given to my dad. No one including him has been kind in any way whatsoever. All I want is for this never ending nightmare to be over. I have adored . . . ADORED my dad my whole life, and gave up my entire personal life for his care. I feel unappreciated, used and abused. I wonder how my sisters would have handled dressing wounds in the crack of their dads behind!!!! That's one teeny little thing, the whole is unbelievable even to myself who did it all. DONE
(4)

Endo do not drive with him when you feel it is unsafe since his doc said he can drive let him drive himself or call the police and report him to them and see what they say or disable his car-he will end up killing you and others-do not let him drive until you get it in writing from the doc that he can drive-you may be help responsible if he drives and hurts or kills someone.
(3)

Lisa, hope everything goes well today and hopefully your mom will be out of your house by mid week. You are so close. Enjoy your family this weekend and bast in their love for you. PS I like the matching cape idea.
(2)

I recently announced to my sisters that I would no do any chores including: cooking, cleaning, taking out trash, grocery shopping (with my own money no less!), taking dad to dialysis every single time . . . all of it!!! My dad insisted he drive to dialysis even on the days he had chest pain, was woozy sick etc!!! He would explode every time I pleaded with him to let me. I told him I was afraid he would kill us, and worse other innocent people. He'd scream I was "hateful", and trying to take his car from him. For 3 years I rode "shotgun" (a good term) white knuckled, and terrified as he swerved and missed things. He told me if I didn't want to take him he'd drive alone!!! He can't walk after dialysis so I had no choice being that neither sister would take him. They both live less than 10 mins away, do not work, have tons of money (their spouses) and do not cook or clean their own homes. Their spouses do it all, and they both emotionally and verbally abuse them outrageously! His Dr.'s would not deem him incapable of driving because he didn't meet certain "criterior". I should have put my foot down years ago, and let them all do what they wanted. I took nothing but abuse for 5 years from my sisters, dealt with my dads cruel rants and no support whatsoever from a single family member on his side. My one aunt on my moms side was my only ally, and she is 70. I look like I'm 62 instead of 52, and I've literally seen myself aging rapidly. I feel absolutely sick from years of this poison doled out by my own "family". I wish I had known the key to my torment all those years ago. That key is that people can only hurt us if we let them!!!! My self-esteem was low from childhood medical trauma resulting in me wearing a one piece torturous split legged brace at the age of 3 1/2, and in a wheelchair till I was 7. My entire life has been lived in severe pain . . . every single day. I felt "defective", and thought I owed the world for being so. I was riddled with shame, guilt, fear, helplessness and anger. They all knew it too, and played me like a fiddle. Those two unhappy girls spewing their anger at me, and me trying to always please them. I ended up in a psychiatric facility last summer for bad depression, stress and exhaustion. They all called me "selfish" because "I made dad worry", and that I should have "hidden my depression"!!! Not one of them visited me even though my Dr. there called them to come in. Thank God and I mean THANK GOD I woke up to a new understanding. We must stay strong, and fight, fight, fight!!!
(5)

Lisa, mom or not, she is drug addicted. Let her have the consequences of her behaviors; that will help her more than any other one thing you could do. Perhaps she might consider substance abuse treatment with discharge to a halfway or sober house if current plas fall thru. Either way, place to live is her problem. Your wellbeing and safety of family has to remain ur focus, no matter what. Get her out asap, even if u have to proceed w evic. U have made great decisions along the way, i know can get yo a good end w this-don't give up! U still have people all overcthe country rooting for u!! Glad u slept well. K
(3)

I told my father to get out, (he was bullying, yelling and carrying on towards my daughter and me) I was thinking he would go sit on the bench in the yard. He took off in his car and drove himself to the local hospital and when I received a call by officials to pick him up I refused. He then drove himself to another hospital (this is the last time he ever drove again) the next morning or that night, I’m not for sure, and they kept him for almost a month. I was then asked by social services and received legal guardian over him and he is now placed in an assistant living center. He is still a lot of work and will never be allowed back in my home no matter how many times he asks.

Elisa social services will probably ask you to be her POA or legal guardian. You will not be financially responsible for her bills; no one can come after you for her bills. If you do become her legal guardian or POA just take her money and pay her current bills. I make all my dads decision for him medically and financially. You may be asked to do this as well. I would imagine because her judgment is not good with her pills, etc. she would need a guardian. This actually has turned out to be a good thing as I can keep him out of trouble (at least guide him) and a roof over his head. I pay his current bills and make his doctor apts. I take him to his apts. if I want too and if not I can ask the facility (I have not asked them to do that as of yet) where he lives to take him. But he has his own home and now I am not slaving over him to try and keep piece. There never was any piecefor my family we always walked on egg shells. Even though he has his own home he is still a lot of work but it is do able as of now. This option sounds like it might work for you. If you do get legal guardianship you will be tied to her and you will get the calls when she sick, misbehaving etc. It will not be over, it will be better though, much better.
(2)

Well it's obvious the nephew kept his the copies of those checks a secret. Not sure if he was wanting to hide his mothers involvement, or just not wanting to stress me out. Still going to contact cas to get copy of the report.
(1)

Have a wonderful time cat!!!!
(2)

Lisa: Hopefully, the check incident won't be a huge deal. It was 6 years ago and not a violent offense. The fact that the checks were covered is important. Good for you, being proactive and on top of this.

Well, I'm slurping some coffee and will be heading to the airport in a couple of hours. I'll be thinking of you all and hoping the best. Talk to you Tuesday. Love and Hugs, Cattails.
(2)

Just keep on believing, Remember that you still have the 30 day eviction notice, and the county is required to find her a place to live. Sometimes we just have to step back and let the consequences roll. Referring to your blank look when your mother was talking to you, I have one just like it.It has always been a part of my life when I am around family. I wonder how many of us have one. I will ask my therapist what it means for us, in her opinion, next week. Just remember: The candle is still being lit and the prayers are still being prayed. Rebecca
(4)

What a great nights sleep. early to bed, early to rise is so true. Up at 3 this a.m. And Jeanne, sometimes I look at my mom and feel sorry for her too. How miserable that she just can't find simple joys in life. She has never accepted responsibility for her actions her whole life. She just dropped a bombshell on me. Apparently they will find something on her criminal background check. 2000.00 worth of cold checks she and my sister wrote. She borrowed money from the cousin to pay them. But not before prosecution. What next. My nephew has gotten copies of those checks and I'm calling t today to get a statement that I called them in 6 years ago when mom was broke again. What next.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter