Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
5 6 7 8 9
Jeanne, your post about your clothes was the most heartening thing I've read for a long time! for two reasons - one, that's me you're talking about, belly and stains and all, and, even more ashamed to say, most days I don't even bother about removing them. 2) you are truly a great person, I've read a lot about you, you've shared so much that helped so much to so many folks, but you've come alive for me with this post! love you! boost your morale sky high :-))
(5)

Hi jeanne and all

nice to see you post, janeb and sorry about your dad

cat - I know you will have a lot of memories this season, and going into the next year

I remember the first New Year after Gordie died. I didn't want a new year to start without him.

jeanne - good for you for working on your appearance. Purple with beaded neckline sounds right up my alley - so does getting food on your clothes -especially shirts. I used to blame the kids when they were little, but had to stop that as they grew up, and own my own "spillpower". I like the story about your mum. Dish detergent works for quite a few things - my first "go to" usually. I consider myelf an expert in stain removal, between myself and the 4 kids. Another thing that works on grease stains is talcum powder. Shake some on, rub it in, and let it sit, and absorb the grease, rub it off with a cloth and repeat as needed. Then launder. Talc has saved many a day, and shirt for me.

Sorry about the bad days, but I know they come with the territory, and I am glad you are doing a little better now. I thought of you and Coy when we were at the dinner theatre and toasted you silently with my glass of white wine, It was a great show . At one point I felt like getting up and dancing in the aisles, as the music was so "rousing". The suite that came with the dinner theatre package was very nice indeed, and we both enjoyed it all thoroughly. What I could eat was very limited, of course, but a chef prepared me a lovely plate of salmon, and steamed veg, and told me next time to let them know in advance. Gary said the carrot cake was the best he had ever had. It was a great weekend other than arriving at the hotel to16 crazy emails from my narcissistic mum who, of course, wanted to be up front and center, and couldn't let us have a quiet few days to ourselves. More on that later.

Thinking of you all - Lisa -you had a great birthday and Christmas. I am so glad. Austin you are quiet. I know you have a lot on your mind, jude (((((((hugs))))))), everyone - here's hoping the new year brings good things to everyone
Love (((((((hugs))))))) and prayers -- Joan
(5)

Hi All,

Several pages back a couple of you were discussing taking pride in your appearance. Well, I mostly take pleasure in my comfort, and since I've worked at home for a few years my wardrobe consists of rag-tag t-shirts and pull-on pants. Inspired by your conversation, I decided to upgrade my closet contents. I've been watching sales and buying cotton knit shirts that don't look like the leftovers from a church rummage sale. They are nice and long so they cover my bulging belly. I don't have to tug them down when I open the door to a delivery and I'm not embarrassed if I run into a neighbor at the local Target.

So, the very first time I wore the purple with a beaded neckline I got a grease stain on my left breast. And the very first time I wore the royal blue with the reindeer I got a grease stain right below his hoof. Arghhh ... this, I remember, is why my wardrobe looks shabby. I tried a great stain remover on the inside hem of the blue shirt. Seemed OK. I tried it on the stain and now I have a big bleached spot with a grease stain in the middle. Sigh.

But, and here is my holiday gift to all of you, I discovered a nifty way to remove food grease from cotton knits -- Dawn dish detergent! First wet the stain, then work up a little lather with Dawn, rinse, and wash garment as usual. I was sitting in a restaurant in my stain-free purple shirt last week, thinking of how glad I was to find that tip and I dropped oil and vinegar dressing on my chest. So I had a second chance to try the remedy and it does work! WooHoo! (If you are not sloppy yourself, maybe this will come in handy with your loved one's clothes.)

This reminds me of my mother, who is notorious for getting food on her clothing. On a nice summer day she and I took visiting relatives on a day's outing. We ate in a nice river-front restaurant and we all teased Ma for wearing a white outfit and ordering spaghetti. "You know you are going to wind up wearing that spaghetti sauce!" So she tucked paper napkins into her belt and under her chin. The waitress got into the act and brought extra napkins. It was pretty funny. When we finished and she pulled all the napkins off she said, "See, my white clothes are spotless." And then she stepped away from the table and revealed tomato sauce on her nice white tennis shoes!

See? I come by it honestly.

I've had some bad days last week. I'm doing a little better now.
(5)

Jane welcome back and I am sorry about your dad.
(1)

JaneB: Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. Mine passed away on September 24th. Glad you are back and know that I am wishing you well. Sending love to you.

Joan: Sounds like you are busy. You take care and enjoy your time with friends and family. I'm all for a quiet new years.

Love to all, Cat
(1)

My Dad died in June and I haven't been on this forum in a while. But I wanted to check in and see a few threads I remembered from before -- this being one of them -- to see how you all are doing. I send my love and gratitude to you all.
(2)

((((*(hugs)))) Lisa, Sounds like it all went very well. Good for you! You achieved your goal of a great Christmas for Ray and Mary. Sounds like the dogs had a good time too! And nothing from the DQ???? I have not been so lucky, but just a storm in a teacup served with the usual blame and complaints.

I had a special treat when a friend of Gordie's from high school days 15 yrs ago came on face book and wrote "Hi Mom". I hadn't had contact with him in years, and had often wondered how he was. We helped him out a bit at that time. It was great hearing from him, and I have invited him to visit and tell us about his adventures. He was a missionary for quite a while, and also volunteered in the Israeli army. Dinner last night with Penny and Dave was great, and we loved Les Miserables. Gordie played JeanValjean in his high school production, which I unfortunately was not able to attend. It always is special for me. Gary's two grandsons arrived safely. His daughter didn't need to be induced. The baby was 7 lbs 13. Christmas Festivities are continuing with supper here tomorrow night and at dd's Friday, then the dinner theatre.. We tend to do things after rather than before. New Years will be quiet as far as I know.

Waiting to hear how everyone else did. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from our house too.
(3)

Hello everyone!!!! Sorry I've been Mia. I hope all of you had a peaceful and comforting time with family and friends. I was so worried trying to make sure this was the best Christmas ever with Mary and ray. It just all turned out beautifully. Every plan fell into place. We sat at the table with my two girls and reminesed about past years. They enjoyed that so much. Marys choice of food was the cheese tray. Lmao!!! I make sure there's a variety of cheeses for her every year. Her and Beth can eat their weight in cheese. The highlight of their evening was watching the dogs tearing the paper open on their squeak toys and rawhides. Yes everyone. My dogs know what s in that paper and tear into it. Then we gave them their huge candy cane rawhides and didn't hear from them the rest of the evening. I hope all of you had at least one of your wishes come true. Merry Christmas from the fords!!!!!!
(2)

Merry Christmas...may we all find peace and joy this holiday season..it's not always easy...but the reason for the season still gives us hope...love to you all..and i'm here for you too...God bless you all...hugs marylee
(2)

It's Christmas Eve and I am wishing all of you peace, love and happiness. Sending love and white light to each of you.

Cat
(3)

Merry Christmas everyone. Enjoy your families, friends and hold them close!
(3)

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas. May you be showered with blessings from above.♥♥♥ Lots of love, hugs and prayers - Joan
(4)

EVERYONE Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
(4)

Marylee that is what mwe do here give hope and love.
(1)

Marylee: I am praying for your dog. I hope he/she gets well soon. It sounds like it had some very major surgery and holds a very special place in your heart. I have been there. My dogs mean a lot to me and I'm sure yours does too. Hoping all goes well. You hang in there and remember to keep your eyes on the light. God will take care of the rest.
(2)

WOW..YOU ALL GIVE ME SO MUCH COMFORT...I WAS LETTING THE DISMAL ..GET THE BETTER OF ME...MY DOG IS VERY SICK TOO...BUT I'M NOT!!! NOW... BLESS YOU ALL...LOVE MARYLEE
(1)

It is hard to be happy this year for the holidays because of the school shootings not far from hear-churchs were asked to ring their bells at 9:30 26 times for each of the people killed I did not hear them but others at our senior center did-they held the funeral for the teacher who while protecting some of the students was shot yesterday. I think my grandson knew some of the families because he lived in Newtown when his mom was married and also lives there in an apartment since his mom got divorced-he goes to school on Cape Cod-so he will be sad-most of the funerals have not been held yet-the local radio station is helping raise money to build a playground and a memorial garden in memory of the children that were killed one week ago.
(2)

hi all - got a higher thyroid dose today - hopefully it will help.
It has been quite a week. I can't even remember if I told u that my friend of 44 yrs needs a second mastectomy - she is my age and had one a couple of years ago, but no radiation or chemo. This one sounds worse. I feel like I am losing her in pieces. She uses a walker due to arthritis and will be in a wheel chair soon, I think. As well, a few days ago my dil revealed her childhood abuse by two of her brothers, and the whole story - ugly stuff -she has been diagnosed bipolar, and the meds are playing havoc with her health. I wept on the way home after hearing it. They have invited me to come to their house and go to Les Miserables (the movie) on Christmas day. I invited them back for turkey after G gets back from seeing his kids. His oldest daughter has had some problems with her pregnancy so all are a bit concerned. She will be induced around Christmas. Mother is now rethinking her arrangements. She will do what she will do.
love the stories of dinner by firelight
thx all for supportive comments - I am a bit of a basket case right now emotionally, Christmas is always hard and I think of Gordie more -the empty chair thing, then all of the above
marylee - keep looking for solutions, Know all about expensive pet surgery -but what do you do
yogi good to see you here
jeanne - grief is very physical as well as emotional. As I have learned it mourning is the outward manifestation of grief - the behaviours. If you feel like you are going out of your mind you are normal - you too cat. I know you both will be reminiscing and feeling the loss this Christmas. Jeanne the hard tears that you think will never stop don't last that long though they can be scary when they happen, however, usually you feel better afterwards.
Lordy Lisa -forgot the dogs - thats a hoot
wondering about Kimbee
Jude -where are you???, austin ditto
G is very stressed from work and the upcoming trip to see his kids. His ex is always there too with them, and there are still hard feelings.
Looking forward to a nice time at new years and the dinner theatre.
Love and hugs Joan
(3)

Marylee, I, too, have renewed my faith in Jesus. Keep the positive of having Jesus on your side ALWAYS! Satan? Forget about him. Happiest of Holidays that you all may partake in be the best you can make of it..
(3)

ps you all know i had brain surgery..i cringe when i read back what i wrote..ugh
(1)

hi my friends! was thinking positive..the had all the "stuff". my father was discharged abruptly from the hospital...no back up plan..no care provider...i've been on-line looking for some last minute help. my mom is depressed beyond words. my dog had major surgery..over 5000! has had major set-back. no travelling anywhere for the holidays. will have to try and get to upstate sometime next week. i know...breathe deeply..power of positive thinking...i'm trying ..really i am...love you guys!!!! oh...i'm 54..so i'm over the hill...and i forget my name...:) marylee
(2)

Joan: you can never upset me or anyone here. Your words are true and heartfelt.
Marylee: agree with cat. Keep your faith up front and center.

Jeanne& cat: I'll give you an example of a big big brain fart. I had an appt to have bandit and angel groomed today. I get there, walk in with my elf hat on. Chris and his mother were smiling and looking at me very puzzled. I FORGOT THE DOGS AT HOME!!!! I was so embarrassed. Poor Beth was ringing my cell phone and it aggravated me because she knows I won't drive and talk on the phone. Doug said she called him and he could barely understand her thru the laughter. When I FINALLY got them there and went to pick them up they both hollered don't forget the dogs. I'll be 51 next Friday. Yep, thinking my brain outrunning my age! ;)))))
(7)

Marylee: Don't think about Satan. Just focus on God.
(3)

well, to all the people who care about. me...all i can say ..is thanks..and i need that..my father is back in the hospital..and back to being "dumped" out..the problem is insurance and diagnosis..i did get through to the governor's office..and i will follow through tomorrow...but who knows..he'll be dumped on my moms doorstep..this tell me..to plan properly for the future..but knowing me..a brain hemorrhage, brain surgery..and head on collision survivor..i never plan more than one second at a time..my love and hugs for all of you..i feel like we're part of a family..dealing with past hurts and pain..and now future worries..i care about you all..each one of you is special...and a very merry christmas..or whatever you celebrate...love marylee ps with everything, and my new found deep faith in Jesus...i can't let this consumme. me...satan is a liar , a thief and a divider..and he's always hovering over my shoulder..
(2)

Diavalon: My mom has been gone 4 years now. She passed on her birthday, Dec. 18th, so the anniversary of her death was just a few days ago. I remember one winter when we had a power outage. Fortunately, we have a gas stove in our house so I could cook dinner and take it to their house next door. They had a gas fireplace for heat. We had dinner and played Sorry by lantern light and stayed warm with the fire going. My mom had such a good time that evening.
(4)

Jeanne: I think it's the holidays. So many other details to juggle. Getting back to work for you will be a good thing. I think you will find you can focus on your work. You may still have problems with the laundry, but I think you will do fine at work.

Maybe you should do your insulin in a specific spot with a pad of paper where you write down the time and does, etc. Don't do it in a comfortable place because that can lead to distraction. Go in the garage if you have to, but do it someplace where you want to finish, record and go back to the usual.

I find if I am up and moving, my memory is sharper. It's when I'm engaged on the computer I tend to blank out other things. I guess it's an escape and boy, does it work.
(1)

What a charming story! Thanks for sharing it, diavalon.
(1)

My mom has been gone now for a little over 3 yrs and at the holiday season I seem to miss her sparling eyes with all the busyness of the season she would just smile. One year on Christmas day my power went out and thank goodness we heat with wood so the house was warm but it made diner a little lets say interesting, We wrapped my mom in extra blankets so that she wouldn't be cold even though she kept telling us she was hot.. I thought well I will hear about this one for a while. Too my surprise mom told everyone that would listen what a wonderful Christmas it was and that it brought back memories of her childhood. She was thrilled. That was her last Christmas here on earth. Oh how I miss her. She was almost 98 yrs young. Thanks for listening. HAPYY HOLIDAYS to ALL!!!!
(3)

Cat, I'm laughing at the dry clothes. I know EXACTLY how that feels. I don't mind so much discovering that I did something I should have done, but the not knowing whether I did what I should have done, such as take my insulin, is a bit scary. The other meds are at least easy to tell -- they are either in the pill box or they aren't. But how can I sit there with the insulin pen in my hand and not be sure whether I've given the shot or not? Arghhhhh.

I'd be more worried if the rest of the family weren't going through the same things. I honestly never realized that part of being in mourning could be cognitive impairment!

Please tell me that this hasn't been constant for you for three months! I hope that you were back to normal and are just having a relapse at the holidays. I need to go back to work next month -- and I think for a living!
(1)

Hello My Loves:

Jeanne: I read your post on Caring Bridge today. Let me just say there in nothing wrong with your mind. I am amazed at how disconnected I am in so many ways. Last night I put some clothes in the wash. A couple hours later I remembered them and went to put them in the dryer. They were already in the dryer and they were dry. I have no memory of putting them in the dryer. I meant to ask my husband today if he put them in the dryer which I doubt completely. But, gee, I forgot to ask him. I think I am missing my dad and my mom this year. They are both gone now, my dad just less than 3 months ago. After having them in my care for over 7 years, it's just a big change. I don't feel devastated, just befuddled. I hope you enjoy every minute of your family gathering. Don't be upset if you don't remember all of it.

Lisa: My heart goes out to Ray and all of you who love him. I don't know what to say, but at least he has a goal and that is to be there for his wife. Maybe I am feeling a little fatalistic tonight, but I think that the writing is on the wall with your parents-in-law and the best you can do is be there for them. Be the best family advocates you can, but accept that in time you will be giving them over to God. I pray that their love for each other can give them comfort and that all of you can share in the abundance of the years of love they have shared with all of you. I know it's difficult, but try to prepare yourselves for the difficulties that are coming and just know that the love you hold for them and the support you all will give is the same as they have given each of you over the years. What more could anyone ask.

I've noticed that Kimbee has not posted in a while, so I am concerned for what is happening with her mom.

Joan: You are a tender soul and we all appreciate your thoughts, feelings, remembrances and your wicked sense of humor.

Judy: I've missed you. Just not posting like I use to, but I can't stay away from this thread.

As for the shooting in Conn. What can I say. I am so heartbroken and angry. Warren and I have a meeting with our senator this Friday to discuss the issue. I am so tired of people who do not secure their guns in a safe. Anyway. we will put our two cents in, in written form, and piss in the wind and see what slaps us in the face first.

Diavilon: Sending you hugs and best wishes. You are a compassionate soul.

Marylee: Welcome. Keep posting here. People care about you.

Ok, enough from me. Sending love to all of you. You are the most amazing woman.

Love, Cat
(3)

5 6 7 8 9
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter