Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
I talked to my mother-in-law this morning. Every sunday Doug or I take them a Sunday paper. And yes, we could have it delivered but we take our dog with us and it just makes their day. Doug went this morning and I asked him if he told them anything. Said no, this is our story to tell. So I took my coffee and the phone outside to the patio and called her before she left for church. And no surprise she was skipping church and going 2 head straight over. After I calmed her I went into a little of what's gone on especially the last 6 months. She told me the whole family was aware things were not right. And the whole family has been worried but knew eventually I would open up. I told her when I get thru this next week we will sit and talk. Mom has been in her room talking with the cousin. Think she's working herself up to a good mad. Heard the comment I hope she breaks her god&&@& neck. Guess referring to my new bike. About how I was a lousy sister to the other two. Even mentioned the can of green beans episode. Heeheehee. I can laugh about it now. The middle sister, who of course would call Doug and I with she needed money. It was they needed food or the electric was turned off. We would never dare give her the cash. She had my nephew so it was never an option to let him suffer. So Doug would call and pay her electric. No cash. The last time it was food I took two hundred dollars in groceries to her porch and knocked on the door and said here's yur food. As I was walking to the car I fell to my knees. The woman threw a can of green beans and hit me in the head with it. Called my nephews dad and toldbhim u have tonget him out. Not long after he was granted custody. So we will see what the next few hours bring. I have tomorrow morning covered. My daughters fiancé will stay here tonight and wait for me to get home at 9:30 after my morning run. I don't believe she will mouth off to my special needs daughter. But I always think ahead. Plus she's one tuff cookie. Then hopefully by the time I'm due to go back for my afternoon run she'll have been removed. Thanks for listening bout the green bean story. Hadn't thought of that in years. Hahaha
(5)

Elisa, I am so glad things are going better for you ! This site has empowered me so many times. We share the fact that we have had very dysfunctional families. I have started standing up to all of my relatives when needed. After a major issue, such as carrying out my father's living will at his request and the demands of the hospital when being opposed by siblings (one a doctor), I had such an influx of emotions that I needed counseling. My emotions were both good and bad. The counseling has helped me so much during my other stands for the truth. When your mother is finally out, please realize the some emotional moments are normal. Please stay in touch! I know how hard this is, but you have a huge shield of love and encouragement around you.
(6)

I think that's what scares me most. How is it going to impact me when they take her out. Rather than accept a sandwich from me she ordered dominos pizza. If you could only see her appearance. Neighbors out on both side. Her hair is filthy. Same clothes for 3 days. And the same delivery man from dominoes. How embarrassing. And when they take her in to her new residence? I can only imagine the thoughts that will go thru those men and women's thoughts. Now I am so glad she called cas. They saw her before the more horrible appearance as of today.
(1)

Elisa you will have us to help you through it all-you are strong and the worst part is over for you and we are here for you-you will not be alone and your horrible experience will help you help other-you will be able to pay it forward-and you will come out a much more strong person for what you have been through.
(2)

Right, breath Lisa.
(1)

195Austin, you are so right about becoming stronger. Each time I deal with my mother, I become a little bit tougher. Elisa, as far as your mother's appearance, remember that a day of dealing with your mother will reveal just what she is to any caregiver. She is doing this on purpose and is mobile enough to take a shower or bath herself. People will think less of her and not of you. In fact, they may decide to evaluate her for psychiatric care. Boy, will she ever appreciate you if she has to live under the strict rules in psychiatric care. Sleep well tonight. You have done EVERYTHING you can for your mother. You are actually giving her another gift through what you are doing now. Take care. Rebecca
(4)

ITS MONDAY!!!!
(0)

I haven't heard anything yet. Put a call in to cas and left a message. She hasn't called me back yet. I need to let her know that nothing has changed. I do not want this to drag. She was up most of the night playing on computer and she is still asleep and it's 11 now. I went in and turned her oxygen on. She's been without it for a full day. I have a call in to her nurse. I guess now it's the waiting game.
(2)

I'm glad to hear a status report, though wish you had better news! I'm glad you called the people who will move her out. Holding you in our prayers...
(3)

Elisa, would a call to EMTs with you expressing concern over her change in behaviors: not bathing, sleeping, not using oxygen, aggressive threats toward the family, etc. be possible,?When they arrive describe what you have tried to do and get them to have her evaluated for a possible illness you are unaware of. Tell them you are worried about her arterial blood gas levels since she has been taking off her oxygen. (A hospital needs to evaluate that.) After that, refuse to allow her back into your house due to the danger toward your children. Go for it! I think I read on this post that you have a daughter with special needs. Mention your fears for her. Fight for getting her out of the house today. I am worried about all of you and what she is plotting. I am a retired special education teacher, and this almost sounds like psychosis although I am far from being qualified to make any diagnosis. Just know we care.
(6)

That sounds like a plan-get her out anyway you can and with her bizare behaivor it is not streatching the point at all.
(2)

Lisa: Keep us posted. I hope she's out today. You have nothing to feel embarrassed about. Your mom is so easy to see through.

Man, that green bean can episode is vicious. I'm glad you spoke to your mil. We'd all love to have a daughter in law like you.

Don't forget what Austin said. We will be here for you now and beyond.

Love ya, Cattails
(1)

Elisa, no matter what happens today, please let us know you are okay. Just because you decide to make your own plans instead of using ours, does not make you wrong. You are the only one that knows what needs to be done and when it should happen. We just care and want to know you are safe, physically and emotionally. Take care. I am praying.
(2)

Well everyone. Doug and I put in numerous calls in to cas and left messages. I went into moms room and told her very nicely mom you need to start making plans on what you will need to take with you as far as personal items and clothes. Well all he'll broke loose. My thoughts are since no evidence of abuse or neglect was verified that this isn't an emergency placement. I've talked to my boss and I'm taking the day off tomorrow. We went into her office and I just gave in. Told her everything. Get her out Lisa. I called moms dr and didn't receive a call back. He's set her up with 2 appts with a psychiatrist, and she never kept them. So tomorrow I go to the court house and fil the mental inquest. One of her outburst was screaming about my daughters disabilities. Let me explain. Beth is visually and hearing impaired. But she has learning difficulties too. And anyone who has raised a special needs child knows that when they find something they excel at they run with it. Beths is laundry. She sucks at housework but she can wash and fold clothes like you wouldn't believe. And that was moms ranting and raving today. But she made the very very very bad mistake of saying it in front of Beth. So I have my photos developed, my ducks in a row. She's out of cigs. So I'm hoping there will be an outburst tonite or yes her oxygen turned off. Then I call 911. But I head downtown tomorrow morning to file a mental inquest. I will make the phone call to cas before I leave with my intentions known. I will tell her I tried to make contact several times but now I've been left with no option. What in the he'll is wrong with me? Beth looked at me and asked does this mean I can't do laundry anymore? So times up gotta go.
(3)

Well, your mom really crossed a line today. Verbal and emotional abuse of a child with special needs means child abuse on her part. Play every card you have and use every agency you can. Protect your child like you are doing. I wish I were there to help. I rarely become angry except when someone is cruel to children and animals. Her treatment of your daughter makes me furious. Wouldn't it be great if all of us who are following your situation could turn up and help remove your mom? :) I'm still praying. Hang in there.
(5)

Beth would be very offended to be called a child. Hahaha she is 31 but she's our child and I'll keep her with me forever. :))))))
(4)

Well, for God's sake, don't let the bitch anywhere near a can of green beans. I am so angry for you Lisa. How dare those CAS people not come through. Maybe Torri needs the green bean treatment. Doesn't matter if she's not an emergency, they asked you if you could keep her the weekend, not the following week.

I don't know what the laws are in Kentucky, but maybe you should call police and ask if they can remove her from your home. In California, the police were able to take someone who is mentally unstable and place them on a 72 hour hold and have them evaluated.

Don't know if you can do that in Kentucky, but it's worth a phone call. Once she's out of your house, she's gone for good. You can give the cops Torri's name and the other social worker who was supposed to get back to you along with the visiting nurse's name.

Hit it from every angle. And go down to Torri's office and raise hell in person. No more phone messages.

Lisa, there's nothing wrong with you. You tried to do something good, now you are able to see more clearly. You've got the ball, you're running with it and it will get done. Don't buy any more cigarettes. Let her have a meltdown and call an
ambulance.

So sorry about your precious Beth. I hope you can explain to her that her grandmother is not to be listened too.

Putting my arms around you, Cattails.
(3)

Please apologize to Beth for me! :) At 57, I am still called a child as a term of endearment by my older relatives and my mom. It is one of those things parents never let go of, I guess. You have worked hard to make a life for yourself and your family and should feel proud of everything you have done. I agree with Cattails, the ambulance (without a siren to warn her) might be your best bet. This is an emergency, and you have certainly tried to get help elsewhere. I hope you have a day that helps you realize how very strong you are. We are all behind you! Rebecca
(1)

Well I'm home from a very informative morning. For future reference to anyone in ky: in order to file a mental inquest warrant you must at the same time file for guardianship of that person. Which means I would be responsible for finances, drs, nursing home care etc.needless to say I am not willing to do that. But take heart because with her calling cas she's done the work for you. Apparently Monday's and Tuesday's the field agents spend their days in court with the detectives for serious potential life threatening situations which involve charging, warrants, and emergency placements for elders at risk. I get that. They seem to think I'm giving up to soon on cas. They told me to be careful on how I get her out of here because even though they found no abuse or neglect do not leave myself open to retaliation accusations. When telling them about her message for cas they have her temper tantrum on a recording. Well that's all and good and I really understand all your telling me. but what is my quickest resolution. #1- I know when her lungs have hit rock bottom and at what point they will keep her. After they hit that point call an met. #2- her next temper tantrum, call the police and make sure they can hear her screaming and cussing on the phone. Then let them call an emt. #3- throw her out. It's your home and she is no longer welcome. But I recommend you not do that because you have told us there is no one willing to take her. Wait for one of the first 2 to happen again. And from what you have said it will happen. So that's where I stand now. So unless I get a phone call from cas with their intentions by close of business tomorrow I will call her drs emergency number tomorrow night with my concerns for her breathing and my concerns on her not keeping her oxygen on. And like all the other times she passed the emergency room doors and collected her 875.00, he will have me call an ambulance to collect her. They'll send her to rehab for her required 20 day visit. So all the advice you have given me is right on the mark. I just have to be careful it isn't misconstrued as spite or retaliation.
(0)

Lisa: Hang in there. I'm glad you've gotten good advise and clarity on options 1, 2 & 3. Looking forward to the end of the business day tomorrow or whatever may come sooner. Keep us posted. You are doing a great job handling this.
(2)

Do you really think so? My youngest daughter seems angry that I'm not moving fast enough. She's thrilled that already there is a great improvement in my mood. She calls it more light hearted. All of us are more light hearted because we have come together as a family. We are seeing an end to this. And I understand her impatience. For her it's cut and dried and she thinks I'm procrastinating. I really don't believe I am. It's just so important to me to make this a simple transition and now that I've talked to the pros and with cas involved I need to be careful and do this in a way it docent backfire on me. And apparently this means involving her dr and let him make the decision to admit her.
(2)

Lisa: I absolutely think you are doing a good job with this. An excellent job as a matter of fact. I completely understand that your youngest wants it done yesterday, but you need to do it the smart way.

I had thought of suggesting that you put your mom in a motel with a kitchenette, TV, and groceries and with a months rent paid in advance while things got resolved. You know, anything to just get her out, but then I thought no no, that could be construed as neglect. Not sure if it could be, but wouldn't want to make a bad suggestion.

You are doing everything right. Stay on track and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be much longer for you. Love and Hugs, Cattails.
(1)

Torri called!!!!! Apologized that she wasn't able to get back with us sooner. Explained about Monday and she realized it was bad. She tried to listen to moms message three times on her machine. She said she was screaming so loudly it towas hard to understand. She told me since there were no signs of abuse that she has closed the "case" but she realizes the urgency of getting her out of the house. She has set her up with an appt with friendship house. It's an efficiency that is based on income /assisted living. She had me put mom on the other line and told her she heard first hand her out of control rage she was in Monday and since she was foolish enough to leave it on her machine that she has given her daughter the advice to call the police and have her taken out if there are any more outburst. She told me if I have her hospitalized tomorrow then she will miss her appt Monday and they only have 2 rooms available. So I told her this will have to be a family decision. She understood completely, and that I have every right to do what I plan but with this appt there could be a prompt resolution. Sigh.
(0)

OK Lisa: Here are my questions. They only have 2 room left, but you can't have an appointment until next Monday? Are there others interviewing for those 2 rooms prior to Monday? Does she have to be interviewed to determine if they will accept her? Can your mom just say, "No thanks, I don't like the room so I'm not staying? Does Torri know what the income restrictions are and can she tell you that your mom will qualify. Does Friendship house also assess your mom's need for assistance to determine if she is acceptable. What will they think if she starts acting like a lunatic during the interview. These are questions I would want to ask Torri. Maybe you already did.

If your mom NEEDS to be hospitalized for her breathing, could you go to the appointment on Monday by yourself, explain that she had to be hospitalized, give them the financial info they need and offer to pay a month's rent to hold the room? They could then get an assessment of her physical abilities from the rehab unit when your mom is ready to leave and at that time determine if his assistance requirements are something they can handle. If this can be worked out and your mom fails to qualify due to her assistance needs, then the most you will have to lose is a month's rent. But if they hold the room, all is good.

I think you were wise to tell Torri that this is a family decision. I think I would be leaning toward the ambulance and getting her out of your house now. I'm thinking that once she is gone you don't have to take her back. I'm assuming that is true. Has that been confirmed in your discussions today during your morning appointment. I don't see how they can force you to take her back.

You are very wise not to be her guardian. Five stars for that answer. I hope Jeannegibbs offers you some thoughts also. She's got a good head on her shoulder.

Keep in touch. I'll be watching for you. Love ya Cattails.
(1)

They only hold appointments to look at the rooms on Monday's. Her name is already down. The appointment is at 10 a.m. She has already given them her income. Retirement an social security. Mom is completely mobile. The only reason she dosent do her own laundry is ours is downstairs and she is not allowed to go in our basement. And yes do not doubt that she would stage a fall and collect on our home owners. She knows her Meds and dosages. Pain pills and Xanax? Out of my hands. The only thing she would pay extra for would be her meals. I had a great aunt who lived there till the day she died. She loved it. I told my mother when we got off the phone this is her chance to try to find some peace in her life and I truly hope she can find some happiness inside all her hatred and bitterness. Oh and the law here? I have to give her 30 day notice to get out. So if she goes in hospital? If it isn't 30 days? She has the right to come back here and finishbher 30 days.
(0)

Your call. I will be behind you whatever you decide now and in the future. Are you standing firm on the no cigarettes. She could blow your whole house up. FYI, maybe you should give her a written 30 day notice now. Does it need to be notarized? Just do what you have to do and cover your bases. Do the 30 day notice now.

Lisa, this will end. You are doing a good job. You have to work within the law to protect your family and that's what you are doing. Good thing you are a bright and self initiating individual. All you needed was a little direction and then you RAN with it. You have power Lisa, your not a victim. Your doing a good job.

Keep me posted. Love and Hugs to you and your lovely family. Cattails.
(2)

Written notice in the works. Doug will have his secretary type it tomorrow and I will send it registered mail to her at my address. That way she of course will have to sign for it.
(1)

Brilliant!!!! You just keep taking those forward steps.
(0)

I've been dealing with a very sick husband all day, who is now up eating soup for the first time today. I had to pop on and see the latest episode of As the World Turn Around Mother. I was really hopping this would be the episode where Mother issues curses as she is escorted out the door. I am so sorry that the script didn't quite go that way.

You are handling the delay wonderfully.

Has Mother accepted that she is leaving, one way or another? Does she show any excitement or interest in Friendship House?

I'm sorry not to see The End scrolling across the credits, but at least we know the show has been cancelled after this season!
(1)

I just returned from my son's concert to check your news, Elisa. You really have things under control. I would love to know what your mother is thinking and if she is beginning to realize she has messed up. You sound like a wonderful family ,and her life could have been great. You tried to give her the best but she wouldn't accept it. Just take care of yourself and stay safe. You will be a huge help to others when members need advice about toxic parents.
(4)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter