Follow

When my husband went to visit his mom in LTC yesterday he was shocked to see her wearing an "I Voted" sticker. She said she voted. Not informed by admin prior or even after. We're assuming the ballot harvester was part of the staff, since they are still quarantining and limiting contact. Also, my MIL hasn't been able to write - anything - since 2019. We had given her a card to sign, she couldn't do it. I suggested she make and "X", she couldn't . I drew an X on another piece of paper, she couldn't even copy it. She has short-term memory loss and mild dementia and can't get out of bed on her own so I'm wondering just how she was able to sign a ballot? We've emailed the admin to ask for details on how they allowed this to happen. So, if you have a loved one in a facility who is capable of voting, please make sure you oversee this process for them or "someone else" will.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thanks for update!
(0)

UPDATE

Here is a response from my MIL's facility about her voting...

"We take great care to prevent ballot harvesting. Our Life Enrichment team members were trained as Health Care Facility Election Judges this year to deliver absentee ballots to our residents and return to the City of __________. All ballots (for those registered) were delivered the morning of the scheduled voting (October 15th) and for accountability, two (2) HCF election judges together delivered the ballot to each resident who wanted to vote and ensured that they were able to vote for any candidates they chose. They remained with each resident while they voted and after completion of the ballot, it was sealed immediately and delivered back to the city the same afternoon.

Many of our residents vote for a specific party and opt to pass on selecting other offices such as city offices or judges.

If you want more information about how it was [my MIL], we can ask the judges. "

It seems that "responsiveness" is emerging as the bar which determines if some votes (and is assisted to vote) by election judges. Still, wouldn't it make sense to give the PoAs/guardians the option to be present when the voting occurred? They are there acting in their best interests on all other matters, why not this one? And how would they know if the resident didn't already vote? Do they ask them? Are they going to rely on the memory of the elder with memory issues and dementia?
(2)

Call you local (generally county) office or department or elections.  This is illegal
(1)

Geaton, I sure do agree that it would be most helpful if they would encourage family to assist with the vote for those able to make decisions. I wonder if it is a matter of no time to sort out who wants to or who doesn't? It is sure an interesting subject for certain; can see all sort of problems.
(0)

So here is who can vote in Minnesota:

"You can vote while under guardianship unless a judge specifically has revoked your right to vote.

You cannot vote if a court has ruled that you are legally incompetent.

As long as a JUDGE did not restrict your right to vote through court order, you have the right to vote when you:

- are under guardianship
- are under conservatorship
- gave someone power of attorney
- have a brain injury
- have a developmental disability
- have a cognitive impairment
- experience memory loss

No one else can make this decision on your behalf, including a spouse, children, attorneys, caregivers, doctors or nurses."

"...this decision..." being the decision TO vote, not WHO to vote for? Shockingly this says nothing about influence or pressure or filling out the ballot top to bottom, back to front FOR someone else, signing it and mailing it.

Translation: in MN your senior LO can have medically diagnosed full-blown dementia and can still vote and it doesn't matter if a total stranger (i.e. "harvester") "helps" them in person to vote without your knowledge. It states nothing about being able to sign their own names or mark an "X". It appears anyone can fill out their ballot for them. Now I understand why "harvesting" became a thing and why it is being fought over. Who on this forum thinks this is good policy?

I encourage everyone to check the laws in their state at the Secretary of State webpages for voting and registration.

I encourage all PoAs/guardians with LOs in facilities to make sure YOU are the ones overseeing their voting so that you can know for sure that fraud and influence has not occurred.
(2)

I think people should vote if they are capable and it’s great that they assist facilities.

It is a problem if they are not capable of voting and a vote is taken.
(1)

No problem. Please let us know what you find out when you talk to the facility. Even if she had voted through the ball harvester or whoever provided the ballot, and voted on the absentee ballot your husband requested, the elections office would have rejected one of the ballots. But I totally get your concern! Lots of funny business going on with the election this year. You would think they would talk to POAs before allowing everyone to vote.
(3)

Thanks Cali and Alva for your input. In 2016 while in same NH we brought MIL her absentee ballot and were in the room when she voted to make sure she understood what she was doing. Unsurprisingly she chose to vote the same way she has voted all her life when read the choices. This election we're more concerned that she was influenced to vote a certain way. I had never heard of ballot harvesting until about 2 years. My husband had already requested an absentee ballot for her and was bringing it that day. MIL could have easily forgotten that he brought it and she voted if he didn't tell the staff or put a sticker on her because he had no idea harvesters were operating -- then she would have voted twice. It's incomprehensible to not inform the PoAs of the intention to harvest resident ballots -- we've literally been in contact with the admin all year long for so many other things regarding MIL (like covid). Just seems inconsistent and illogical.
(2)

Geaton I wanted to add, you may be able to see if your MIL actually voted. Most states allow you to “track” your ballot. And by ballot, what they really mean is the return envelope LOL! Anyway you can google how to track a ballot in Florida and IF you are comfortable doing it, you can go to a certain FL state website & see if your MIL received a ballot and whether or not the elections officer received and accepted it. I think all you need is her name, DOB, and zip code. You won’t be able to see who she voted for or what she voted on but you will be able to see if her ballot was turned in and counted (or rejected). I would do this before I spoke to the facility.
(2)

Agree with Cali. She doesn't even have to vote on every issue. If she says she knows which Presidential Candidate she wants (for WHATEVER reason) she is allowed to do this; and can be assisted with making her mark and getting the State requirements done. Most ALF are very very proactive in allowing Seniors to vote. They have done it all their lives and they wish to do it for the most part. I would be surprised if you give your MIL the two names, if she doesn't have a favorite.
I love my right to vote; no matter my condition I bet I will have a favorite; I will likely be dead 6 months and still trying to vote, but then I am from Chicago.
As divided as our poor beloved country is at this moment, half the populace thinks the other half is demented anyway!
I am teasing you here, but if you are uncomfortable, do call the LTC facility on Monday and speak with administration. Good luck; hope you will update us.
(3)

This is totally normal for a nursing home just FYI. Most facilities work with the local elections office to ensure everyone who wants to vote can vote. If she can’t sign her name, she is allowed to use the letter X as her signature. Only problem here is if she is declared incompetent and/or can’t even sign an X.
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter