Follow

About anything. How your feeling right now, how things are going, what upsets you, to just talk to other caregivers who "get it". I care for my husband and need to talk here sometimes.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Half the threads here are vents, or started out as one. Go ahead, vent away.
(1)

Thats true Cwillie. There are a lot of topics so I'm trying to look at all of them that pertain to my life now. Glad there is activity. New here.
(0)

It seems most caregivers are for parents... on these forums, probably not...but it seems that way..I care for my wife...6 years older..I am 66... recently retired....
I am not sure what stage of dementia she is in..maybe “mid-mild”...has been going on for 5-7 years...but most noticeable the last couple of years.
I am loosing my patience more frequently...and it is really disturbing...sometimes I fall into the trap...and “play the game” It is not her fault and I would trade places with her in a heart beat...I am concerned since it is not near as bad as it will get....her short term memory is still good enough to remember when I loose my patience...
Most recently it has been her “alternative reality”.
I am not sure if it is real hallucinations or what but it is very disturbing..
She has historically suffered from depression and lately...loneliness...especially since she doesn’t drive due to anxiety (mostly) about traffic and now her previous friends ignore her like the plague, so she depends on me for entertainment...
I am worried as to how I will cope when it gets really bad...we have one daughter that is single and lives about 1500 miles away..future help from family is out of the question...

Does this fit the mold of venting?

Thanks
Tim
(2)

I almost lost it night. I felt like I kept arguing with my mom and she was being bull headed. She has inconvenience, knows it, keeps not making it but refuses to wear protection. She needs it badly. I got so tired I gave up on it.
(2)

Yes, as it happens, I do; and I am grateful for this purpose designed thread, thank you.

On Page 15 of my daily newspaper there is a charming and heart-warming photograph. It shows a very elderly lady seated in an armchair, with her right arm in a sling. Standing next to her is a pretty little girl, aged perhaps four or five. The two are reading a book entitled "Getting Up." The little girl's tongue is poked out in concentration, and the elderly lady is laughing uproariously.

The story is about a care home which is about to open new shared premises with a nursery school. Play sessions with toddlers are to be formally prescribed for elders with depression. This move is the outcome of a five month study into the effects of intergenerational interaction on 40 residents in their eighties, nineties and hundreds, mirrored with a study into the learning and behavioural benefits to children attending the nursery.

So why am I fit to burst? This is the care home my siblings didn't think my mother, the retired teacher, would take to.
(5)

Hi dtgray, Regarding what you said, I know it's easy for me to say bu t yes, she needs to wear something. Try to get her to always have these "undies" on. Hugs to you. Hang in there.
(1)

Okay, I catch myself venting about stupid stuff! hahaha, like not winning the lottery when I don't even buy tickets. Isn't that dumb??? I see a winner on television and I think, oh! That should be me, then I could afford to put mom in a very nice place and I could take my dream vacation! I just need a break! I miss my husband and kids. I miss my life as it was before. I had so many dreams when I married.
(0)

Ahhh, that sounds sad in regard to your post needhelpwithmom. Could she live with your family? I'm sure you thought of that. Seems like something needs to change. Big hug to you.
(0)

It's Friday! Anyone on here??
(0)

Guess no one wants to talk right now. Happy St Patrick's Day!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter