Follow

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/facebook-connected-her-to-a-tattooed-soldier-in-iraq-or-so-she-thought/ar-AAF0nTI?ocid=spartandhp

Apparently scammers are finding it lucrative to pretend they're military men, then hit on people for funds. But they don't just target women. And they use social media to target their victims.

Nor do they merely pretend to be active duty or Veterans and use fake ID/photos. The article addresses someone who pretends to to be Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, soliciting funds for Nigerian children.

Please share this alert and the articlel with friends and family, especially those caring for vulnerable people, whether they're older, male or female, and especially those who use social media frequently and interact with people they've never met.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thanks for reporting more scammers for us. It is incredible the numbers of scams. Folks where my bro is in assisted living are not always right up where they should be in alert, and are so easily taken in by scams such as the social security one where the robo call says that social security will not go into their account until they contact. It is awful. We also see on the forum so many falling for the Nigerian scam of depositing a check that is bogus for 6,000 and sending a 2,000 "tax" payment of their own. Now we have them posing as Military? What a great idea on the scammer's part. I wish more Assisted Livings would have brief talks on scams to watch out for.
(0)

Tacy, good for you for reporting those scammers!  Hopefully they'll be reported to the IRS and the 501(c)(3) designation revoked, or suspended.    Do you know if they had any relationship with the VA, which would also want to be aware if any of its sub-contractors or referrals were abusing Veteran funding?

I've read that fundraising dishonesty occurs more frequently in Veterans', animals and cancer non-profits.  Apparently they're the high targets.

It's also my understanding that these outfits that claim to be collecting for first responders are generally fake charities.   Before I knew that, I used to try to explain to them that I didn't have spare funds to donate, but they were still aggressive, and sometimes insulting.  

These days I don't even answer the phone any more.  If it's one of the many contractors, calling from cell phones rather than business land lines, they'll leave a message.
(0)

And now they have social media to reach larger targets!   And, social media is not always responsive to requests to assist law enforcement, unfortunately.
(1)

Unfortunately scammers have been impersonating military members for years. It’s nothing new :(
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter