Follow

Hi everyone,

I have a parent with alzheimer's who is in a memory care facility, I am wondering about Christmas gift ideas?

The parent has pretty advanced Alzheimer's. Their comprehension is quite far gone so anything involving cerebral faculties will be of no use. They can walk and move but cannot really talk properly anymore or understand more than very basic words. They also have limited hand use functioning. They don't seem to be able to grasp things or do a lot with their hands.

So I think its really for something which is very much a sensory experience. That may provide a nice experience for their sense. Any ideas on a type of gift? What do other people on here do for their Alzheimer's family members?

Many thanks

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Gave my mom a lifelike baby doll, she loved it! She sings to it, kisses it, she cares for it like she cared for her kids so many years ago, she even named it herself. Music or scripture books, fidget blankets or sleeves. This Christmas I took one of her old purses (one that everyone would always comment on!). Filled it with different items from dollar store little brush and compact mirror, one of my grandmother’s handkerchiefs, small calculator, her old wallet with her DL in it, pen and note pad, etc, she loved it! Now when the caretaker takes her for a ride to Dairy Queen, she can take her purse!
(2)

We started getting my mother in law stuffed animals. We found one on Amazon that was larger sized and looked just like a Yorkie which she adored. As her Alzheimer's advanced she it thought was a real dog.

We would also get her smaller, cute and fuzzy or soft stuffed animals that she liked to hold and look at. She could not hold a fork etc., but she could grab the stuffed animals.
(1)

I gave my Mom one of those Picture Frames that you [and everyone else] adds their photos to. It can also have her favorite music playing in the background.
(2)

A Vintage tiny ceramic lighted Christmas tree.
(0)

I got my mom some cd's - music that she would probably have listened to growing up- music that was "in" back in her day. She seems to like the songs and remember them - I hear her humming along thoughout the day as the songs play. Speech is difficult for her because she can't seem to remember the words or get them out so she doesn't sing but she hums along with the songs quite well.

My mom was an artist and loves colour. Sometimes I give her "picture" books to look at with lots of "big" pictures and colours that she stares at for a while. I don't give her photographs because they seem to confuse her as she doesn't realize she's as old as she is or who I am etc. But pictures of paintings she would have liked, flowers, simple "nice" stuff.

Just my two cents (smile) hope that helps.
(1)

My husband sent his mother a hair brush and a hand held mirror. She lives independently with help coming in.
(0)

Etsy has great lap quilts. Type in alzheimer's quilt, fidget blanket, sensory quilt. I found a lady who even made it specialized to things my mom liked.
(2)

Imho, a comfy, soft throw or blanket.
(0)

My dad loved the stuffed frosty the snowman I gave him.
(1)

The Alzheimer Association "The 36-hour day" book makes a suggestion that it's good to give a toolbox filled with items that were part of the person's past and can remind them of their past. Of course fill it with items with different textures, sounds, etc.
I read "Someone I Used to Know" written by Wendy Mitchell who had early Alzheimer's and she said that one of the best presents she received is a digital clock that has date, time, day of the week, a.m. vs. p.m. I know that sometimes, people with dementia may wake up (esp. now when it gets darker earlier in the winter) from a nap and be confused if it's day vs. night.
(3)

Sensory lap quilt. If you are a sewer they are quite simple to make. Check out You tube and Etsy for ideas. I make them for nursing home residents but with the Covid virus they are unable to accept them at this time. I am also a caregiver of my DH and have some experience how beneficial these quilts are . I wish you well.
(0)

Someone suggested to me that I get my mom a music box that is simple for her to use. Pre-loaded MP3 music player for the elderly! It's at the Alzheimers Store online. It is great for my mom, since she can no longe work any sort of machine. She just has to lift the lid and it plays.
(2)

Maybe a shawl, something soft to keep her warm. And chocolate, my Mom loved chocolate.
(1)

I bought my 91 yr old mum a robotic cat. It moves and purrs and meows.....she loves it. You can find them online on Alzheimer society websites.
(1)

A plush dog or cat that sits on their lap and they can pet. Many elders with advanced Alzheimer's will believe it's a real cat or dog.
(2)

my Mom has Alzheimer’s. We recently gave her a life like doll that she totally connected with. When she gets distracted or sad or anxious we bring her attention to her baby doll. She takes her every where. It makes her happy and she generally seems at peace when she’s engaging with the baby doll. She talks to the doll and gives this doll love. I’ve tried other sensory items recommended for Alzheimer’s and this doll exceeded them all. My mom has been a loving mother and caretaker of six children her whole life so someone to care for seemed to give her a sense of worth again.
(5)

Sonetimes with the advanced stages of Alzheimer's for women a baby doll brings back their time with their children when they were small.
(3)

My mom has significant non-Alzheimers dementia. I made her a book with pictures of all of her close family members - parents, siblings, her with Dad, their kids, grandkids and great-grandkids. Each page is just one group with their names (you with your sisters A and B, etc.) She can look at this and seems to recognize everyone even if she wouldn't otherwise know names.
(4)

Gifts that appeal to the senses:

Hearing - favorite music recordings on a tape recorder, radio, books of short stories on tape

Smell - cologne or perfume. scented body lotion 9which also involves touch), flowers for ladies, something scented - sachets, pomander balls, scented cards on string ... - to tuck into drawers or closet to scent their clothing

Touch - emollient rich lotions, fuzzy throws or sweaters, plush animals, house slippers

Taste - small treats that include their favorite flavors: fruit, cookies, shelf stable cheese and crackers (if sodium is not a problem), cupcake
(3)

Music, if someone at the facility can help her with a device, earphones, etc. The best thing would be a personalized play list of songs, music, and artists she loved when she was younger. For some it might be hymns, others it might be popular or dance music, others it might be folk or classical. There's a growing body of literature that familiar and loved music can actually "awaken" parts of the brain in folks with advanced Alzheimer's.
(5)

Each Christmas I used to make my mom a personalized wall calendar that had a different picture each month. Each of the pictures were important events in her life. Some of the pictures were from the distant past, others were fairly recent pictures.
All the pictures were of people that she dearly loved.
I started this calendar gift tradition when she still lived in her own home, and it continued through her days in long term care. Even though I am not technologically savvy, it was an easy gift to make. I just brought the photos I wanted to use to a FedEx Print and Ship store and they made the calendar for me.
Best wishes from someone who has been in your situation.

sandwichedboomer.com
(5)

Digital picture frames, a radio or some type of music listening device, the fuzzy blankets, new PJ's or daily wear outfits are good things. I've sent them all during this 5+ year journey with my Mom. I also send her "snack boxes" throughout the year as my Mom is a "snacker." Just a few ideas from my experience so far.
(6)

Music!! CD player. Bach is especially good
(2)

Hi. There are aprons with lots of different sensory activities attached. Zippers, fluffy thangs, snaps etc. May be some on amazon and I’ve seen them on Etsy.
i forget what they are called but I’d google sensory aprons and go from there.
(0)

Let them get a Massage and in the back ground have a great Smell that they really like that will bring back memories and have some of their favorite soothing Music playing in the back ground
(2)

Christmas is just another day. Someone with advanced Alzheimer's will not know what day it is anyway. You just being there is best but that should be everyday, not just one. Home is the safest environment due to limited contact with people.

With holiday shopping, you run the risk of transmitting illnesses to your loved one, not limited to COVID but also the flu. Memory care facilities are particularly high risk because COVID and flu can be caught by the workers--and typical fever and other symptoms do not show up days after getting infected while shedding viruses at their worst.
(1)

What about getting her favorite music 🎶, a heated blanket, homemade chocolate chip cookies, or just a pretty manicure/pedicure?
(6)

I plan to give her a poinsettia floral arrangement. It can sit on the large windowsill in her assisted living place and hopefully bring her a little bit of happiness.
(2)

My mother liked a throw we had that was smooth and silky on one side, with fuzzy sherpa on the other.
(3)

I have been giving my mother little stuffed animals. Maybe a colorful sweater or shawl (I get sweaters that open in the front and are easy to get on and off and machine washable/dryable). A cosy throw to put over their legs while they are in a chair.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter