Follow

My parents just moved in and we set up their VOIP phone so they can still take calls. Today they received three phone solicitation calls from the same place. My 94 yo father answered tonight. They said they would like a donation. He said, "I am 94 years old and I would like a donation too."
Solicitor #1: "Our minimum donation is $15."
Dad: "I would like that."
Solicitor #1: Let me connect you with our billing department."
Me: "What!"
Solicitor #2: "Hi! I'm here to set accept your donation. Would you like to donate $15."
Dad: "No. I would like a donation. I am 94 years old and only have my social security. How much can you give me?"
Solicitor #2: "I'm sorry. We are taking donations."
Phone goes dead. No one can stop laughing.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
That is funny. He is a trip.
(9)

Thanks for sharing that. I think the replies by your father were great.
(7)

Gotta love that response.

Coach dad that his minimum donation is 100 bucks payable by cash.

Sounds like your dad is clever.
(8)

Very cute!
(0)

loved it!
(0)

Lol, that’s hilarious. Thanks for sharing.
(0)

Im in a great dilemma. When my moms husband passed right after his funeral my sister manipulated my mom into putting my sister name on everything. The checking account to pay my moms bills. Then my sister talked my mom into moving on my sister's property. Charging my mom $600 per month rent my mom paid her own utilities her groceries and her medicine. My mom recieved 4,000 per month. My mom also sold her trailer for 20,000 and had a CD for 4,000. For some reason now my sister wants my mom to go to assisted living and stating my mom is broke. WTH? My sister has kept everything a secret I'm not even allowed to see statements. WHERE IS MY MOM'S MONEY? WHAT CAN I DO?
I estimate it almost 100,000.00 missing.
Its almost impossible to talk to my mom about this. She had a heart attack and her nerves can't handle much. It's not the money even though it is my moms it's the lowest form of stealing from her own mom. Plz someone help me. My sister is a vengeful, mean person also my moms eyes are declining fast, my sister has had her sign things that she can't even read
(0)

Bess, I love it!   I'm going to use that tactic as well.    Must be wonderful to turn the tables on the pesky solicitors.
(1)

Hahaha! What a great answer for that freakin solicitor! Fantastic!!!

Everyone should do that! Can I borrow that? Think I will!!!
(0)

I love this!! Reminds me of something my 94 year old FIL would have done. Thank you for sharing
(1)

Some days when I feel especially snarky I will keep a telemarketer on the line as long as humanly possible.

One guy had the audacity to swear at me and tell me I was wasting his time. I replied "who called whom?"

Those telemarketers that tell you you're probably going to jail are the WORST. It's robo calling--so there's not a lot you can do.

I'd love to use your dad for an afternoon. My phone rings nonstop from 2-5 pm everyday and it's NEVER anyone I want to talk to!
(1)

Uhm... as much as we all love to hate telemarketers there is a big difference between them and somebody who is making a scam call, scammers are criminals trying to trick you out of your money and legit telemarketers are just trying to earn a living doing a crappy job.
(1)

Thanks for sharing this! I am laughing hysterically.
(0)

My mother was in PT after her minor stroke, the young lady who was working with her asked "Have you seen a decline in your exercise routine"? My mother responded "Yes, I no longer run in marathons" to which the young lady responded
"Why is that"? My mother said "Because I am 94, and, I don't understand why you would ask me such a dumb question." Duh, that ended that!
(3)

Dolly,

So funny! This is why I don’t want to live to be that old! Seriously, I do feel like some people don’t treat the elderly with respect. Sometimes they are condescending and even lack common sense when speaking to an older person. I bet the older person is saying to themselves, “Just wait until you reach my age!” Right? That’s what I would be thinking if someone spoke to me about not running in a marathon.
(1)

I remember Dad once asking me "Whats a flat top?". Eh I had no idea.

Apparently a scammer had called him to tell him his computer had a virus. Dad said he didnt have one. So the guy asked if he had a laptop?

Dad didnt know what he was on about - a Flat top?

Must have been the scammers best call of the day
(1)

Paul,

😂 hahaha. LOL. That is funny!
(0)

Remember when the telephone solicitors would call about putting siding on houses? They sold it as easy maintenance to replace wood with vinyl siding. My father in law used to tell people that he lived in a glass house! Hahaha

I have to say that when those siding callers kept calling our number I borrowed his line. All I heard was dead silence on the other end. It was great! They never called back!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter