Follow

I have just finished Tessa Miller's new book, What Doesn't Kill You. It is marvelous book about her journey with Crohn's Disease, but more than that, about what it is like to live with chronic illness, whether it be Crohn's, MS, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, or any other illness. But it is about more than that. It is about grieving our own loss of control, about negotiating the medical system, about embarrassment, pain, depression and living in a world where others are abled. I thought of caregivers over and over and over again in this book, and there was such good information about therapy, about reporting the medical system including doctors when there are problems (gives the step by step in the appendix) about finding good help at a cost you can afford. I truly recommend this book to ANYONE, but especially to those trying to negotiate the medical system. She gives at the beginning of each chapter whether it is about grief, depression, negotiating the system or whatever, a part of her own story and her life and her own family, then goes into what it is to deal with these issues. If you are a reader I certainly am recommending it. This amazing story of one woman's journey becomes ultimately a resource manual to help us.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thanks! My oldest daughter has Crohn’s disease. Will check it out.
(1)

Thank you. It sounds very inspiring and a way forward in all this caregiving gloom & doom
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter