Follow

No question, just sharing my experience of witnessing my step dad's death last night.

I was in vigil with my mother when my stepdad died last night. If there such a thing as an ideal death, I think that is what David achieved.

He was diagnosed with Dementia a couple years ago. It was progressing slowly and up until 7 weeks ago he was driving, attending church and living a quiet life. He had slowed down, was not really participating in conversations anymore.

6 weeks and one day ago we thought he had had a stroke. Garbled speech uncoordinated limbs lead to a trip to the hospital and that is where he stayed. It was not a stroke, but undiagnosed metastasized cancer. He regained his speech and ability to walk, but over slowly lost his ability to walk and Monday morning lost consciousness. He was on Palliative Care and was given pain medication as needed. At 10:40 pm his breathing became slower and at 10:45 he was gone.

Mum had been told on Friday to expect him to be gone before Christmas. Luckily Mum had worked as a Hospice Volunteer and recognized the signs over the weekend that it was going to be closer than expected.

Today was spent on the phone, and meeting with the funeral home. Luckily he had planned and paid for cremation, so there is no cost with the funeral home. Thursday we meet with the minister to plan the service which will be held in 9 days to give his kids and other family who live further away time to come.

I think he had the death many of us would wish for, dying in his sleep with loved ones nearby. He believes in God and did not fear dying.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Tothill, a blessed passing indeed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Thank you for sharing, as it does take some of the fear of the dying process away, that so many people do worry about. I'm so glad that he didn't have to suffer, as and linger on so. Take Care!
(1)

My condolences for your loss, Tothill. What a relief that his passing was gentle. Be good to yourself and your mother. Thank you for letting us know. May sweet memories of him bring you peace
(1)

That is the way to do it, certainly. Nunc dimittis.

Wishing your mother and all the family comfort as you come to terms with losing David.
(1)

I'm sorry for your loss.
(2)

May you and your family receive grieving mercies.

Thank you for sharing that beautiful passing, that we may all be blessed by the strength and faith of your family.
(2)

I am so sorry for your loss, Tothill. He is at peace.
(2)

My heart goes out to you for your loss. May the Lord comfort your hearts.
(2)

Sad as your loss is I believe you are so fortunate to have had it be this progression which you so eloquently shared. I think many of us hope for an end without prolonged suffering and spend alot of time imagining how it will be and how we will cope with what we are dealt. It can be a daily mental challenge to hate the present yet fear the future.
(2)

So sorry for your loss
(2)

Sorry for your loss. I pray that God will give you comfort at this difficult time.
(2)

I’m so sorry. Sending you much sympathy and peace.
(3)

It sounds like David had a peaceful passing with loved ones by his side. Bless you and your Mama and family tonight Tothill.
(4)

Yes, that was gentle.
Sorry for your family's loss.
(2)

What a blessing. Thank you for sharing.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter