Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4
JoAnn,
just think how much better for the environment our grandmothers and mothers were. My mother told me the same as yours. They certainly didn't have disposable incontinent wear, either. Again, it all got washed. We are literally burying ourselves in this stuff no matter what we call it.

As to what generation I am I have fallen into Lealonnie's "old hag" or "old bag" generation. I used to run around as a kid exclaiming "I am a WAR BABY" because I was born in 1942. My Mom had gently to take me aside to tell me that war babies meant something quite other than I thought, and not to be announcing this to the world.

Margaret McK, do they still call baby calves "potties" in Australia?
(1)

@cwillie - they keep moving the generation lines and I don't get it! My mother and my SIL are both "Boomers" and I don't agree with that assessment lol - my SIL has been raising kids with me and she's just a few years older than I am. (she says she's old as dirt but her youngest is only 2 1/2 years older than my oldest). And now I was reading that they have divided the Boomers into Boomers 1 (1946-1954) and Boomers 2 (1955-1964) I guess because the generation is so big?

I have seen some places that say The Greatest Generation ends at 1925 and others that end at 1924. That impacts which generation my grandmother is part of. So if they wiggle the years around too much my grandmother and my mother could be in the same generation because mom is a "cusper" of the "Silent Generation" and the "Boomers" depending on what year they decide to put in what generation.

Never any doubt about me - nice solid Gen X lol.

My kids joke about being Zennials.

And I tell them if they are Zennials then I guess I'm a Xennial - because I'm a total technology nerd, have all of the apps, spend tons of time on my computer or tablet etc. As far as technology is concerned it's the best of both worlds, the technological knowledge of the Millennials and the Gen X everything else!
(0)

Way2tired - I was really POed when the moved the boomer generation up beyond 1959, kids born in the 60's have nothing in common with those born in the mid 40's and 50's.
(2)

I think my favourite is 5h!t holster... yeah, you all know what I really wrote.

But seriously you guys, it's not OK to personally attack the OP, her opinion is fair game but not all the rest.
(7)

I don’t know what generation I should say I am .
Depending on which definition I read ,
some include birth year 1965 in the Boomers and some in the Gen X.

So I’m either the youngest Boomer or the oldest Gen Xer .🙄
(2)

Yeah, don't think I'd be using re-useable incontinence products or pads. I guess we have all heard the term "I am on the rag"? My Aunt was born in 1893 and told me she literally wore rags during her period. They used clean scraps of material inside their pants. They were expected to wash them out themselves.
(3)

Margaret 😂 nappies are the same thing. MIL was from England and always said nappies.
(3)

@BurntCaregiver, Yeah I think my target group for Glamour Pops is younger than us. Husband did better with his Rascal Wraps.

They've had "belly bands" for male dogs going way back, when I finally saw one, I understood why most dog rescuers kept their old washer and dryer around for their dog stuff. A belly band is just a reusable diaper with velcro - quite fancy but not meant for poopy bits.
(1)

Virtually no Aussies use the word ‘diapers’ at all. We call them ‘nappies’. Would that help, Touch?
(3)

@BlueEyedGirl94

I don't know what a 'Diva Cup' is and I'm not altogether sure I want to know what that is.
I'm a recycler, a re-user, and a re-purposer too. Not when it comes to the feminine hygiene products. Single use only. Call me Marie Antoinette on that one.
No sorry, that is where I draw the line. I remember when 'period underwear' was the old ratty pair you wore to bed when it was your time of the month.

@Stacy122

Your grandmother was probably the coolest granny ever.
(2)

@BurntCargiver - I also can't wrap my head around the new NON-disposable (reusable) Incontinence Underwear. I'm totally ok with the idea of people using whatever incontinence aids they need - but that particular product really does take me back to the days of potty-training my daughters and I'm just not sure I could trust it. Sorry environment - I'm a child of the disposable era- my apologies but that is one thing I'm ok with single use!

And if that isn't enough - they also have them for menstrual cycles "period panties". That is not something I have to worry about - thank you menopause - but there is something just not quite safe to me about that. I'm not sure I would ever be able to work up the nerve. That and the Diva Cup - just seem like accidents waiting to happen. And that's not an accident I was ever willing to take a chance with.

And "Glamour Pop"....too close to "Glamour Poop" and then you go down a rabbit hole that you aren't getting out of...seriously! And rhinestone-trimmed thongs? Ugh.. you can have those - I'm a comfort girl!
(1)

@OnceheatedDIL

I don't think I would want to use something called a 'Glamour Pop' to pee and crap in. It sounds like some new and trendy kind of make-up.
I'd totally wear a rhinestone-trimmed Liberace diaper though. Why not?
Do they come in thong-style?
(3)

@BlueEyedGirl94

I too am from the 'Friends' time and am proudly Generation X. I know what you mean about with the 'Okay, Boomer' response every generation gets from these younger kids whenever someone does not agree with them.
When pulling one by the ear is not applicable (in some cases like with the kids of strangers in a store or something) I respond with a clear.
'Shut the hell up, Zoomer'.
Or
'I know how sign my own name. You don't'.
Then there's my personal favorite.
'You kids won't be able to retire until you're 90.'
(4)

BlueEyedGirl94, I hear you on the boomer rant - the kids think everyone older than them is a boomer. Sorry about the keyboard, blame yourself, having a laugh was a good idea of yours with the "Incontinence Underwear" for children.
(2)

DIL,
I am pretty much doubled over with these suggestions for good names for incontinent wear. I think my favorite is "Rascal Wraps". Yes, you got it on the new name for Munchausens. I should be able to remember that one; facetious is one of my favotire words.
(3)

@OncehatedDIL - a trigger warning would be ever so helpful....I am going to be cleaning sweet tea off of my keyboard for a few minutes thank you very much LOL!!!

And as far as the derogatory terms for the "older" generation - the younger the generations get - the more interesting the terms get. The lovely current one is of course the "Ok Boomer" response to anything and everything that doesn't always mesh with their beliefs and in an attempt to make the speaker feel old.

My own daughters drive me insane because they will say it to me and I just laugh and say "Have some respect!!! Why do people seem to forget about my entire generation?? First of all how old do you think I am? Your GRANDMOTHER is a Boomer. and there is an ENTIRE generation between Millennials (which mine are not - they are actually Gen Z) and Boomers!! Why does everyone seem to forget Gen X exists?"

@Alvadeer - it is FDIA (Factitious disorder imposed on another) or FIIC (Fabricated or Induced Illness by Carers) - I've seen both - apparently the new name provides a more accurate description of a person's behavior?
(4)

Alvadear, I did think of a female "rebrand" ( using the kids' lingo) and my husband thought of several male versions - I will spare you all but one of his.

For the ladies, Glamour Pops - instead of changing someone, we "pop" on a fresh Glamour Pop. Add some smooth rhinestones to the back waistband and make it cool for the wise women to show their Glamour Pops sticking out - like the musicians do.

For the gentlemen, Rascal Wraps - once again instead of using the word "changing", we rebrand the wording to " are you ready to be wrapped?"

Husband kept going and said - for the large fellow's Rascal Wraps - there could be the Bootidryous XTREME.

And for the techies, a Rascal iWrap with a diaper moisture sensor that will alert the caregiver by playing the Hawaii 5-O theme song on an iPhone.
(5)

DIL,
I heard just last night on my Crime Junkies podcast that we are no longer allowed to use the appellation "Munchausens By Proxy" for parents who claim that their children are suffering from maladies that they themselves are inflicting on their little ones. We must now call it by some initials I cannot remember or recall what stood for. Something starting with "F" I think.

One can't keep up. I always just plead my age.
(1)

Our OP goes ON to say:

Clearly, this issue is a trigger for many. It is semantics.

And, yes. Most of us are over-worked, exhausted, grieving, overwhelmed.
It is my opinion and way of respecting an adult wearing disposal underwear.

It doesn't mean that everyone here feels the same way. As indicated in messages to me, some people are very upset with me - due to the stressors they are managing. I do understand.

And, this forum is for all of us to share our feelings, support, opinions.
If some need to get their anger and frustration out on me, so be it.

Gena / Touch Matters

So now YOUR silly words are a trigger for US? With "disposal" again spelled incorrectly while you are lecturing US on "semantics "! Isn't that rich! At least proofread your OWN nonsense before posting! Or get the admin to once again correct your errors.....hurry.

You're entitled to *keep* lecturing us and we're entitled to keep giving it right back to you Gena / Touch Matters. So does knowing when to stop beating a dead horse, that matters too.
(3)

Alvadear, Hilarious! I wish my husband had your quick wit. I love laughing.

I must confess, I am a faux newbie, this forum got me through taking care of my MIL and FIL 10 years ago (they were in a nursing home by us and the rest of the family was several states away. And yes, the woman hated me. For the first time I am now a 24/7 caregiver for my son who has late stage cancer. I do hate to see the other thread losing the #, I understand her situation too well.

I moderate a forum for families who have relatives with schizophrenia. I have fielded requests that we not use the term schizophrenia anymore. People would prefer we would say "neurodiverse". I'm not sure how the people who need our help would ever find us if we did such a thing.
(4)

I don't remember seeing it Bandy, I don't think we are on the same threads very often. I tend to stop following threads that get a lot of comments because I have nothing new to add.
(1)

Speaking of what our admins catch or change, perhaps it is an automatic spell check (??????).....

Because some guy up top on the High Road is touting some vitamin CURE for Parkinson's Disease in "Questions".

Could you all go up top and comment to the admins, then report your comment so we can try to get him bumped off the page. I hate when people take money from people in this manner.
Thanks.
(2)

Alva ,

new term for diaper.

Bum couch ?
(4)

Speaking of being PC, a book called Captain Underpants is banned from schools. Apparently it condones 'bullying'
(2)

@TouchMatters

Now you aren't so offended by the term 'diaper' and are calling the semantics you started semantics?

Are we doing damage control now because you got told about being ridiculously over-sensitive about total nonsense?
You are the first one around here to be condescending and critical to the over-worked, exhausted, grieving, and overwhelmed who don't tell their stories in language that you find acceptable. So you put your halo on and adopt a superior attitude to caregivers looking for help and advice.
I haven't done hands-on client care in a while. I sit in an office these days but I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed all that much. You correct me all the time. Even though I have 25 years of hands-on experience caregiving for elderly and disabled (physically and mentally) adults. Any time I respond to some question on here I speak from actual practical experience. Not from experience trouble-shooting, coordinating, brainstorming, or watching Teepa Snow videos. From actually doing it. No. I can't add fabric designer to my resume. More's the pity.
Really, I'm glad you've decided to chill a little bit on the semantics.
(2)

Alva!!
“sugar, you KNOW that in THAT AREA I always require EXTRA LARGE”.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
That made my day . Thanks !!
(3)

@DIL
This "old timer" (earned by almost 81 years if not by time here--only about 3 and change) has the perfect response for your hubby when you shout across the arena asking if he wants medium or large depends:
"Sugar, you KNOW that in THAT AREA I always require EXTRA LARGE".
Hee hee.
I recently read that the current UK publisher of the works of Roald Dahl (childrens' author) has changed the wording of much of his stuff in order to be "more inclusive". Tractor can no longer be "black" and "boys and girls" is changed to "children". Gone are the words ugly, fat, bald, and crazy. The This Week Magazine posits that the works of Shakespeare cannot be far behind in needing revision. And one wonders when they get ahold of the bible, but then so many have revised IT that it may not be noticed.
I hate that this thread has beat out Lea's thread in the run for the top 10, but knowing her, she's having fun with it. I sure am as well. And even Touch Matters seems to be surviving nicely. I say we all do our best to come up for the best word to replace the odious (!) "diaper" and post it by tonight.
(2)

In general these days , I can’t keep up with what are acceptable words ( terms) to use or not. It’s gotten ridiculous.
I have enough trouble with spelling , grammar, punctuation, and other language crimes I commit .
(4)

I was an editor for a number years and this is a hoot! Perhaps we can say, "wearable pee-pee catcher." :)
(6)

Say something I agree with and I'll like you too OncehatedDIL
(2)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter