Having up-to-date medical information for your loved one helps you to manage health care and medications, and it is crucial to have in case of an emergency. Having the medical information for your parent or loved one on hand will improve communication with their medical team and alleviate stress and confusion between family members.
Make sure you have all of the pertinent information about your loved one's health readily available, in one place.
Medical Information Checklist:
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Emergency contacts
- Medicare and/or Medicaid information and ID numbers
- Medical insurance information: company name, phone number, policy information
- Primary care physician: name, phone number and location
- Specialists: name, phone number and location
- Medications: name, dosage, time of day taken
- Over-the-counter supplements: name, dosage, frequency taken
- Medical history: past illnesses, surgeries and allergies
- Family medical history: illnesses, causes of death for mother, father, siblings
Medical and Legal Documents
- Health-Care Proxy, also known as a medical power of attorney
- Advance Health Care Directive
- Living Will or Will
- Power of Attorney
Use this Medical Information Checklist to help you organize your parent's or loved one's medical information.