Having up-to-date medical information for an aging loved one readily at hand helps you to manage their health care and medications, and is crucial in case of an emergency. Make sure you have all of the pertinent information about your loved one's health readily available, in one place, to improve communication with their medical team and alleviate stress and confusion between family members.
Use this Medical Information Checklist to help you stay organized.
Medical Information Checklist:
- Date of birth
- Social Security number
- Emergency contacts
- Medicare and/or Medicaid information and ID numbers
- Medical insurance information: company name, phone number, policy information
- Primary care physician: name, phone number and location
- Specialists: name, phone number and location
- Medications: name, dosage, time of day taken
- Over-the-counter supplements: name, dosage, frequency taken
- Medical history: past illnesses, surgeries and allergies
- Family medical history: illnesses, causes of death for mother, father, siblings
Medical and Legal Documents
- Health-Care Proxy, also known as a medical power of attorney
- Advance Health Care Directive
- Living Will or Will
- Power of Attorney
Print out a copy of the Medical Information Checklist to keep everyone on your care team up to date.