Follow

Senior, 67-years-old on SS income, needs help, in-home with household duties and encouragement to get outside. Home health care companion care insurance does not cover the $25.00/ plus pay. I don't qualify for Medicaid. Does my United Health Insurance cover in-home care of non-medical or maybe would it cover homebound with bathing, dressing, etc? I am stuck! What in the hell do I do for volunteer help, or any help at all. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
xxx
(0)

Consider an OT consult, also.
(0)

Debby, it seems pretty clear that you are the one asking for help for yourself. At age 67, why do you need someone else to ‘encourage you to get outside’? Perhaps you could find a Day Care centre near you, and even volunteer to help when you go. Or just join a club. If you have trouble dressing because of your shoulder injury, perhaps ask for suggestions about clothing that would be easy to put on. Your profile says that you have some physical therapy coming to your home. Perhaps they can help you with suggestions. Don’t give up on life and your own independence so young!
(2)

I found this info for Texas

"Texas Medicaid will pay for a nursing home, assisted living, or home health care when a patient needs skilled nursing care." So I guess because you have no physical problems that need skilled nursing, thats why you do not qualify for Medicaid.

I would try your County Disabilities Dept. ADHD is recogized disabilty. As probably are depression and anxiety. Medicare has an "intermediate care" program u may be able to get. A member was able to get it for her Mom and Aunt. Ask the people supplying ur therapy if they know about it. Call your County Office of Aging.
(0)

From your profile, more info about your situation:

"67 swf disability adult adhd , clinical depression and anxiety under doctors care. Johnson county Texas, live alone no family or friends uninvolved in my health care. Isolating and recovering fr a huge shoulder surgery and been 5 mth but physical therapy is coming to my home..."
(0)

I would call your local Senior Services, Shepherd Center and church as they all have volunteers that come out to help in various ways.
Good luck.
(2)

Your doctor determines whether or not you qualify for homecare. When the doctor orders it, the insurance pays for it. If your doctor doesn't order it then your need for homecare is not great enough for him to order it.

Sorry, but homecare does not mean you get a free servants to do your housekeeping and provide you with companionship because you don't want to do it yourself or are lonely. Medicaid doesn't pay for these reasons either.

My guess is you already have a caseworker looking after things for you. I'd give them a call.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter