Follow

My father has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and should be not driving but he does not think he is "that bad" yet. Which doctor do I speak to about completing the documentation for the DMV to have his license revoked and which one will/can complete the documentation to deem him unfit?
His GP is not taking any of this seriously and is not returning my calls. We just saw a Neurologist for the 1st time, and he didn't see the MRI, so he sent us home with a med and told me it's all my responsibility. I am more than willing to push a doctor, but which one is the one that can/will do these things? The GP or PCP (whatever they go by today) told me he doesn't do memory or unfit evaluations and sent me to a different set of doctors who can't see us for 4 months.

Find Care & Housing
I think the protocol may vary by state but go to your state's DMV website or call them and ask. This is a global forum.

https://www.agingcare.com/topics/44/driving
(0)

it may depend on the state, but I think you can call the DMV directly and express your concerns about continued driving. They then may call him on for more detailed testing
(0)

Dad's been diagnosed, and you are the one who needs to make sure he doesn't drive. Revoking his license won't help if he still has the keys and the car is still there. Remove the car "for repair." Lose his keys or remove the battery in the key fob. Incapacitate the car.

Letting him continue to drive when you know he has dementia is the wrong thing to do (and could end up killing him or other people).

He stops driving today! Please make it happen.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter