Follow
Read More
2 3 4 5 6
What am I reading right now? The ingredients in a little bottle of poison. Just kidding.

Can't stand my boss.
(2)

Blow away the black clouds
Book by Florence Littauer
(0)

Agingcare.com - caregiver forum

sorry, long day. 🫤
(6)

I'm re-reading an old favorite, "Zemindar" by Valerie Fitzgerald. A nice long book, it always makes me want to visit India.
(2)

❤️🙂

"Book hangover:
inability to start a new book because you're still living in the last book's world."
(1)

Frances, ENJOY Grafton. I loved this series. No cell phones. Stories from another time. Grafton was one of the best at atmospherics. I can still SEE her homes, her descriptions, her little black dress and her car. I loved her books. Could reread every one.

Before her death Sue Grafton had a delightful FB site. Just before she died someone sent her an old trunk full of memorabilia they found of her family including old dresses and quilts; she was so delighted.
(3)

I just started Sue Gafton's A is for Alibi series. She has run through the alphabet and I am only on the D book so I foresee several months of distraction.
(4)

"brain books" that is!

Goodness. I never was much of a typist!
(2)

Love brain bools, Alva. golden23 here incognito

I did know that about baby's having more brain cells and that they get pruned as they aren't used. That's why early experiences are so important and it is much easier to learn other languages very young. Brains are very seriously interesting to me.

Plugging away at yet another murder mystery. I love the settings in the Cotswold in the UK.
(1)

Midnight by Dean Koontz. Just finished it. I have two books on Stephen King sort stories or another Dean Koontz. Haven't decided which to start next.
(1)

My VERY favorite mystery author, Peter Swanson has a new one out and I waited a long time for this one to show from my library's hold list: Yesterday I walked in for The Kind Worth Saving, a sequel to what I think was his first "The Kind Worth Killing". That latter I guarantee for a twisting mind game you will not see coming over and over again. And it is FREE on Kindle if you are an Unlimited member. So try The Kind Worth Killing if you are a mystery fan.
(1)

Women Who Think Too Much: How to Break Free of Overthinking and Reclaim Your Life by Susan Nolen-Hoeksema. I borrowed it from the library and just started reading it today. It seems interesting and so far I find myself in several descriptions.
(3)

Just finished Dr Henry Marsh's latest memoir, And Finally.
As a neurologist who is dianosed with stage IV prostate cancer Dr Marsh deals in this latest book of his with the difference in being a doctor, and a doctor who is also a patient. Fascinating on any number of fronts.

For instance, are you aware that babies have more brain cells than at any other time in the life cycle. They are born pre programed to learn any language and its nuances, even several. Once they begin learning a language the extra cells begin to die off, called "pruning".

Or that our hearts beat on average 4Billion beats over our lives? All of us from a long lived Galapagos turtle to a mouse. So the mouse's heart over his lifespan beats 400 times a minute, but the galapagos turtle's only an average of 4 times a minute.

Just tripping over fascinating brain facts as I read. Loved it.
(5)

I will say I search books in the "bargain corner" of Half Price Books. So some of the books I pick up are a bit odd, or not highly (or maybe even a little) advertised. I am currently reading The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe. I also picked up The Room on Rue Amelie by Kristen Harmel (she also wrote The Book of Lost Names that I found amazing..I hope this "new" one is just as good)
(2)

Has anyone read Secret of the Stones by Ernest Dempsey? Thinking about it next.
(2)

"The Forgetting" was a great book! I highly recommend it.

If you want to read it make sure you get the one by Hannah Beckerman, there is more than one book with that title.
(1)

A fabulous novel by Charmaine Craig called My Nemesis.
A blurb calls it "sly and seething" and they got THAT right. I would like to thow the female protagonist into the fires of Hades myself.
(1)

Book bans in schools are reaching an all time high. Tons of books along with the Bible! It’s crazy!
(4)

The wives are finally starting to get smart. Just starting.......
(1)

Don't you hate it when the characters are so lame you don't care whether they live or die? LOL
(4)

The Forgetting, Hannah Beckerman

I am about 2/3 through, to the point that the two manipulative men and two naive wives are so stupid I almost feel physically ill. I am definitely angry!
(0)

Okay thanks for the update Glad, I'll put that one on my "don't bother" list.

The Laurie R King book Back to the Garden was a disappointment too, the plot line was all over the place and I had a hard time even figuring out who the main protagonist was meant to be :(
(1)

Still stuck in Joyce Carol Oates old Gothics. Still working my way thru all three and now am in the midst of The Mysteries of Winterthurn.
(0)

Finished "Through the Darkening Glass" very strange and somewhat enjoyable or I would not have finished it. But, not five stars, probably 2.5 maybe 3.
(2)

I’m currently back to my long-term reads for stressful complicated situations – Georgette Heyer’s Regency Romances. I think I have the lot. I used to read them 50 years ago at examination time, to calm down my head. I know many of them more or less by heart.

This is NOT the right time for the solid stuff, like the History of the Papacy!
(1)

Glad, Joyce Carol Oate's Gothics are not books I would recommend. They are takeoff on the gothics of the 1800s and they are odd odd odd. VERY odd. She admits in her author's notes she was obsessed with thinking on them and with writing them, and almost could not let the obsession go when she stopped. If you want to read an amazing book by her choose Blackwater, a takeoff on the Ted Kennedy/Mary Jo Kopecne car crash and drowning of the latter. THAT is short and AMAZING. Fictionalized account, but real clear exactly who she is talking about. I believe her shortest book and perhaps her best. She has in her latter years become very very dark indeed.
(2)

Keeping a Quiet Heart
Elizabeth Elliot
(1)

Glad - I tend to discount the top reviews for everything and look at what everyone else is saying. When you get a lot of credible sounding people saying essentially the same thing I tend to believe them, and although some people seem to love the book a lot of others have really panned it.
(2)

In Order to Live by Yeommi Park.
At 13 she “escaped” North Korea only to be immediately trafficked by her smuggler in China. It details her oppressive life in NK and China. Rescued by South Korean missionaries, she lives in USA, and is an advocate for suffering NK victims, especially human trafficking. Timely reminder of the blessings we enjoy.
(4)

Alva, 752 pages?! Don't think I will read that one but it does sound like a good book. It would probably take me a month, at least, to read!
(1)

2 3 4 5 6
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter