Follow

WOW. Just wow.

In all my 81 years, even living in S.F. where Karpman first spoke of this syndrome in 1968, I was unaware of its existence.

It is amazing. I recommend Wikipedia, where I found the best quick explanation.

I hope all here will read it, because this is something we see playing out on AC over and over and over again. What is truly fascinating is the ease with which people can switch from victim to persecutor, moving about this "circular" triangle ad infinitum with no escape.

Can't thank those of you speaking about this on the threads today enough. And I am so glad that I took a few seconds to read responses today, something I don't often take the time to do, and clearly should do more.

Alva,

It is amazing and worth discussing as a topic on this forum. That’s what I love about this forum. It’s wonderful to be able to share these insights with each other.
(0)

Need, wish I could get the credit, but it was Beatty who brought us this. On one of the threads. The "estrangement thread" as another member called it.
I find it amazing.
(1)

Just did a quick read and yes I see this happen on AC all the time.
(1)

If anyone wants an example;

A friend, had this triangle system form around her, hated it but couldn't stop it.. until she SAW the pattern.

I'll call my friend *Jan* & her siblings *Marcia & *Bobby*.

Marcia would call Jan. Complain about Bobby. He did this.. he did that, ain't he bad.. pushed Jan to team up with Marcia & exclude Bobby. (These were fully grown ADULTS, not kids).

After some weeks, Bobby would reach out to reconnect with Jan. Sought her sympathy.. Marcia had treated him badly, convinced Jan. So Bobby & Jan would team up & exclude Marcia.

Then after a while, Marcia would call Jan & start her campaign again of HE's at fault. Bobby is the bad guy.
Back & forth.

Occassionally Marcia & Bobby would team up & excluded Jan.

My friend called it a *Toxic Triangle*.

Once she SAW it, saw how she was being manipulated to take sides, be a friend or be assigned the foe... she decided to be NEUTRAL.

Each time one sibling called to moan about the other she said NO.
🛑 I not be your listening post.
🛑 I will not be involved.
📢 If you-Marcia have a problem with Bobby - call Bobby!
📢 If you-Bobby have a problem with Marcia - call Marcia!

And just like that.. their family moved from a toxic triangle style to direct, more honest communication.
(2)

I also felt that WOW. Just wow feeling when I first read about this. (I think it could have been on an AC forum thread).

I had seen this!
I had heard friends tell of this!
I had been part of this too!
(2)

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the forum, Alva. We can always learn something new from others.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter