Follow

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/magazine/scam-call-centers.html

Excellent article on phone scams out of India. Sunday New York Times Magazine section. January 31st 2021

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thanks. Will read it.
(0)

I found this article very informative and interesting. I learned a lot about the origins of scam calls and how to avoid getting scammed in the future. Thank you for this.
(0)

COVID 19 scams:   Apropos of scams, this article was linked to a Norton newsletter in my e-mail:

https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-crm-identitytheftprotection-5-covid-19-vaccine-scams-and-how-to-avoid-them.html?om_em_cid=hho_email_CRM_EMAIL_US_BLST_ACT_DSP_LifeLock_2021_02_FEBNEWS_symtec.9381042

Alva, I'm not trying to steal your thread; just thought that a scam thread with other types of scams could be helpful.  And if I recall correctly someone created a thread in the last week or so specifically about Covid scams.

FLIPPING HOUSES:    On another issue, I've discovered some interesting facts about these wannabe flippers.  I've gotten 4 (!) solicitations in the last week.   I'm logging data now, just to be on the safe side.  I don't know if this has increased b/c locals are laid off, but from what I'm seeing, there's definitely an accelerated activity to find homeowners. 

AARP ran a good article sometime ago about how some of these people operate.   One of their tactics is that after paying the homeowner, they keep the funds and do NOT discharge any existing liens on the property.    The homeowner who just sold under this so called great opportunity is totally unaware that he/she is still obligated to pay the mortgage.

I found it interesting that one particular pest never can be reached locally (if he really is local) but calls are redirected to some outfit in Florida.   Today I check the postal permit information (none of these solicitation are stamped) and learned that the sender was in Sacramento.  

I think these flippers have offices out of state and hire local people to do the record searching (they go through Recorder of Deeds records to get names and addresses) and local convincing.

I also research their local addresses; I haven't yet found any businesses; the addresses are typically small homes of perhaps about 800 to 1000 square feet, with no signs of anyone living there.  

Who knows what these people are involved in?
(1)

Alva, I just finished reading that excellent article, much more thorough than the usual articles which just post the lurid results of people who've been scammed.

Thanks for sharing such an enlightening and insightful article on scamming.  
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter