Follow
Read More
7) Many smaller tremors are rumored to release the pressure that would cause a bigger EQ. (Do not know the current facts on this idea).
(1)

Tremors, coming every minute, daily, do vary in intensity, this morning being a strong one. But not just one, several stronger ones, then it barely calms down.
I was tracking them yesterday because some were felt above a 3 on the scale.
So yes, yesterday they were getting stronger, and then this morning a 4.9.

It is important to note:
1) Technology has increased so more earthquakes are being recorded.
2) Nothing has fallen from shelves yet, no damages, as we are 150 miles from the epicenter.
3) People pay hundreds of dollars to get an "E" ticket to Disneyland to get a ride this thrilling.
4) For me, facts are comforting so I know how to survive this. Others just go on with their daily activities. Some others are more afraid with facts.
5) earthquakes/uses.gov click on latest earthquakes above 2.5

Gotta go take things off the bathroom shelves now.....

Whatever one calls them, quakes, tremors, swarms, clusters, shakes, aftershocks, preshocks....the earth is moving.

Hubs and I reviewed how to relieve stress last night which included keeping self clean and belongings organized. Use of humor. Being brave.
(4)

Send,

Noooo! Say it ain’t so!

Do you need to install a seat belt on your toilet?!?

All kidding aside, are the tremors, aftershocks, whatever they are, getting stronger?
(1)

Try riding one of these EQ out while sitting on the toilet, 4.9
Roflol.....
(2)

FYI: Jul 16-18 are Amazon Prime Days. The basic Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote is $14.99 (Alexa is only activated when you push a button, not always listening). Several Ring products are also discounted with the basic Video Doorbell just $69.99
(2)

Igloo 572 is on my mind.

Due to Tropical System in Gulf of Mexico NOLA has already been affected by flooding.

Whether this system intensifies rapidly as predicted before landfall the rainfall alone is so troublesome for NOLA.

From across the Gulf I am sending a prayer and 🤞🏻to you and your city.

Stay Safe Iggi.
(6)

< , , >
(2)

On my mind....
The next time the enemy reminds you of your past, remind him of his future.
(7)

A good way to get some extra discounts is to become a student. At least here in the south a lot of state universities and community colleges offer free auditing of classes for seniors. With a student ID, you can take advantage of a lot of student discounts (like Amazon Prime for $49.99 a year and computer software); a lot of the state park service programs in our area are half price for students. Not sure if this holds across the country, but it's working for me here in TN!
(4)

If you ever do miss it and if your internet speed is good enough for video, then I suggest you try out Amazon prime when it's offered at a reduced price (usually $49.99 for a year), along with an Amazon fire stick (reconditioned ones available for $29.99, and often the new ones on sale for that price). There's quiet a large catalog of shows and movies included in Amazon Prime and you can rent movies for $0.99 to $3.99 for 48 hours from the time you begin watching. For me, the free shipping has always made Prime a good deal; when I was working I purchased a lot of technical books and now that I'm older the shipping on all the "stuff" I purchase from Amazon that's just not available in my small town still makes it reasonable. The video is just a very nice bonus. With the fire stick, you can download apps like Hulu or ImDbTv (free old TV and movies) or purchase subscriptions to channels like Smithsonian and Noggin that integrate into the fire stick. Mom likes the older movies and TV so we play it a lot these days.

After I loaded up ImDbTv I started watching the original Dallas, a show I used to watch on Friday nights with my parents. I didn't remember any of the first couple of seasons and was wondering why when it suddenly occurred to me that I wasn't allowed to watch Dallas when it first came on. Daddy didn't allow me to watch "filth" (just about anything with sex scenes) until I was 15.
(1)

You Americans seem to have it so much better than we do here in Canada, I tossed the cable when I realized I seldom turned on the TV for days on end and I really don't miss it. The problem is I'm too far from the towers to get OTA signals easily and my savings were almost negated by having the rates for my phone and internet raised because I'd one less service in the bundle.
(2)

I have fallen in love with on demand video! Few or no commercials while I "binge" through several seasons of good TV shows or catch up on last year's movies or enjoy great oldies. Pause it whenever a kid shows up or Mom needs something and restart when things calm down again. Go to sleep while watching a show, just restart it later. Wake up in the middle of the night, play an old favorite to get your mind off the pain and fall asleep again.

I have "cut the cord" and have no cable or satellite service, just 26+ local channels of over the air TV and streaming services. I like that you can take a service or premium channel for just a month or two. I keep Amazon Prime with Noggin (for the 4 yo) and Hulu (only $6/month) all the time and rotate adding DirecTv Now, Netflix, Starz, Showtime, HBO, and CBS All Access. DirecTv Now and Showtime during football season; Netflix and Starz during the summer when the kids are here; others during the winter and spring when there's a "sale" price to catch up on a favorite series. Still so much cheaper than cable!
(3)

Just heard about the earthquakes this morning.

Glad to hear Send, Ms Madge and others are all okay.
(4)

Don't think so, Send, unless of course you smell gas or hear hissing

we turned off the gas during the Whittier quake in 87 but then the fault ran through our area - it was a long couple of weeks to get it back on
(2)

Glad you are ok MsMadge. Because it was wavy, not sharp and shaky, I don't think we need to check our gas lines, do we? What do you think?
(3)

Illegal fireworks are still going off

fire trucks and other emergency services are out checking for damage

thank goodness this 7.1 quake is on the other side of the San Gabriel Mountains or there would be major injuries

what we don’t need is this fault disturbing the San Andreas- when that goes
well.......
(4)

Loud firework noise? Maybe the helicopters are searching for injured people.
(0)

Sheesh, first an earthquake, followed by a loud firework noise, now there are helicopters circling.
(3)

Breaking: Southern California has experienced another large earthquake. Preliminary @USGSBigQuakes reports put it at a 7.1 magnitude quake.
@ 8:17 p.m., lasted soooo long!

Did I already say that?

I recall the fires, floods, tornados, hurricanes, and the brave caregivers were so busy not a peep of complaint.
I feel like such a baby, an old baby. But protection for my bird is a priority.
Hubs texted from work...."All souls accounted for, ok here". "No one was raptured".
He is on his way home.

Nothing fell, just swaying!
(4)

10 more quakes in the last hour in Ca

in the last 3 hours 2 in Idaho

3 in Alaska in the last two hours.
(3)

Glad to hear you are okay Send. That had to be scaring!
(3)

Earthquakes are just to make sure we are paying attention. :)

Moved out of Cali years ago and entered the world of tornados. But now we also have earthquakes pretty regularly. So earthquakes and tornados. I take earthquake over tornado any day.

Scripture speaks of earthquakes in divers places. So it will become a normal occurrence IMO. Not just in Cali but all over in places that it is uncommon.

Glad you are ok Send.
(3)

Well, FF,
I do not recall my bed ever swaying so much, so I look around to discover evidences of a treblor, can never be sure.

The evidence this morning at 4:07 a.m. was when Tweety bird flapped around in his cage, alerting me and waking me up. I am staying close to him today.

Was especially irritable at what was happening outside my house today......
neighbors parking out front leaving their cars running; some drunk driver backing up knocking cement blocks over, continuing on their way not even noticing.
Somebody do something, I felt. I should report this, I strongly felt.
But was able to let it go. And after not eating before 3 p.m., I ate, and have rested here with Tweety since then.

Apprehensive feels accurate.

Thank you for reaching out and asking. I can think of many So. Cal. posters who may have experienced same. I made the usual "are you ok" calls to family and friends, all okay. Time will tell.
(2)

Sendhelp, oh my gosh, I heard on the news that there were 1,400 aftershocks. How are you doing?
(1)

Free to be you and me.  Celebrating the Declaration of Independence. I chose to avoid the parade today, as it is very hot.  Spent some time sitting on the lawn getting wet with the dog under the sprinkler!  I loved parades till I became over 60. 

Our town does fireworks on Sat. from the hill across the street, so I'll be sitting with chair on the lawn again.  And with our dog.  As a new pup, hubby named him Thor.  Very fitting.  In electric storms he runs around the outside of the house looking for who made it shake, although he's calming down some now he's almost 5.  Fireworks he ignores.  I have never seen a dog like him.  He gives us love and joy.
(4)

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I worked for all my life
And I had to start again
With just my children and my wife
I thank my lucky stars
To be living here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
And they can't take that away
And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
From the lakes of Minnesota
To the hills of Tennessee
Across the plains of Texas
From sea to shining sea
From Detroit down to Houston
And New York to L.A.
Where's pride in every American heart
And it's time we stand and say
That I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
(4)

Good point CM!
Then, anyone experiencing a natural disaster has found their insurance company overwhelmed and DENYING insurance claims to save themselves.
People in the earthquakes (declared a disaster area), had to actually sue many an insurance company for reimbursement.

Changing the subject, because no one needs to hear a rant coming on, as I try not to relive the many earthquakes I survived. Survived....is the key word.
(2)

FF, you raise an interesting technical point there.

Just to say: every insurance policy is a bet. You are betting that something bad (or expensive, anyway) will happen. Your insurer is betting that it won't. You never exactly *want* to prove your insurer wrong!
(3)

Thanks FF! Okay so far, I think. In an office chair I was! Maybe they are more sensitive. The floor felt like is was sinking hehind me, then the room was swaying, when I ran to get my Tweety, the parakeet, putting his cage on the floor, covering him. Did you know that birds take flight just before an earthquake?

What bothers me the most is other's take on it. "No, it is not an earthquake, I am just walking behind you."

Celebrate!
God bless America, land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with the light from above
From the mountains to the prairies
To the oceans white with foam
God bless America, my home sweet home
God bless America, land that I love
Stand beside her and guide her
Through the night with the light from above
(2)

Sendhelp, I just checked the news and that was some earthquake the California region had witnessed. Are you doing ok?

I remember the earthquake here in Wash DC a few years ago. First I thought it was the cat under my office chair rubbing the chair because it was shaking a bit. Then when I heard items on my shelves rattling, my eyes got big. I ran out of the house and so did the neighbors on my cul-du-sac. I was shaking like a leaf, so I know what you were feeling.

Here years ago before the earth quake, I told my insurance carrier I wanted earthquake insurance and he looked at me like my hair was on fire. He said this area never gets earthquakes. Ah ha, proved him wrong.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter