Follow

There are some great suggestions here! I would add that art and music are both easily adaptable to any interest or ability level, and provide some incredible benefits, as this article explains: https://stayhomecare.com/make-time-for-these-two-great-activities-for-senior-citizens-music-and-art/

I believe there are many benefits to music and art.

I wish more people would understand this and utilize the power that comes from all art forms.

My mother had Parkinson’s disease. She did home health and her physical therapist asked her what music she enjoyed.

Mom told her physical therapist that she loved Frank Sinatra. He played Sinatra tunes for her to do her strength training and balancing exercises.

Mom engaged in conversation with her physical therapist about how she and my father loved to dance to Sinatra songs. It was lovely to see. She did use a walker but was never in a wheelchair.

Mom lived to be 95. She wasn’t bed bound until shortly before she died in her end of life hospice care home.

Our musicians here in New Orleans often volunteer in hospitals. They have played music for patients who say that their pain decreases when listening to music.

There is a YouTube video of an older woman with dementia who was a professional ballet dancer in her youth.

She was in a wheelchair and lived in a facility. They played Swan Lake for her and she started moving her arms in her ballet positions as she had done on stage when performing. It is beautiful to see how she remembered her life in ballet.

Look up this prima ballerina. Her name is Marta Cinta Gonzales. She danced with the New York City Ballet. Just google her name and the YouTube video should come up.
(0)

I couldn't agree more.
Hope you read the late Oliver Sack's book Musicophilia.
The elderly can remember musical instruments and music long after everything else is gone.
They can learn new things when they are put to rhythm.
And quite honestly they are some of the best artists (along with very young children) in the world in my own humble opinion. Our DeYoung museum a few years ago had an art exhibit by the elderly that was pretty out of this world. I still have many pictures my aunt did in her classes in her ALF and MC facilities.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter