Follow

After years of wanting to move my aunt with Alzheimer's from CA to Mt, I finally decided to move ahead with it. Her MC was charging her almost 10k a month. It was almost $300.00 per Dr visit to pay for transportation and a chaperone.

At that rate she was likely to out live her money.

The plane flight went well!

The new home has caused extreme confusion and anxiety. I totally expected this.

She's only been there for 2.5 days.

Praying she'll settle in as best as she can.

Have any of you been through this or a similar situation?

I would love to hear your experience.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
So while not an out of state move, we moved my MIL from AL on the second floor of the facility to a memory care unit on the first floor. Even though they let her visit and eat meals in MC a couple days before moving and my hubbie told her she would be moving so she could get more care, the move made her a combination of confused and probably a little mad. We had moved her stuff and set up her new room as quickly as possible while they kept her busy.

She was concerned that we were moving away but we quickly assured that we were staying in the house and she still would be visiting us at the house every Sunday and we would be coming to visit her frequently. She didn't seem to want to engage much with the caretakers or other residents at first....and she is a naturally social person in spite of a severe hearing loss. It took about a week but she started settling in. The smaller environment was better for her in that there are only 10 other residents. One of the caretakers who took care of her in AL and sometimes is in MC told my husband she thought she was doing better. She is getting used to her new environment, the staff, and routine. She is assured we will be visiting her.

I don't know if there was any family to visit her in CA and whether she remembers you. She may look like she doesn't but somewhere in her mind perhaps that long term memory can be jogged with family pictures and stories.

One thing we try to do is to get to know the caretakers and the nurse and be interested in their opinion about my MIL and always have a smile and thank you for them. They open up and share observations and suggestions more freely. I think that also makes my MIL more comfortable that we seem to think they are good people there to help her.

It probably is very nice weather there now in MT. Hopefully, they have an outdoor space at MC where you can spend time with her...even if you are just sitting together.
(1)

Following. I may need to do the same in the future although my mom is settling well into her AL in CO and the cost is reasonable for now.

I hope that your aunt adjusts well. I'm sure it will take a bit more time.

Best of luck-perhaps share updates as time goes on.
(1)

Stick around for help. Many on this forum have moved family members closer to them.

Best wishes to you and your family.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter