Follow
Read More
3 4 5 6 7
Loud, very loud mockingbird.
Having conflicting thoughts about it.
(1)

Golden,

Geeeeeez, Louisiana is a swamp! We have awful mosquitoes.

I know mosquitoes are a part of the circle of life and all that but I so wish that they weren’t! LOL 😆

I remember seeing a large snake at our zoo. The zookeeper was giving a talk about how important it is not to wish to own an animal that will become difficult to manage.

The zookeeper was saying how important snakes are in controlling the rodent population. Maybe so, and I certainly understand his position from a scientific standpoint, but I still don’t like snakes!

The same goes for mosquitoes. I know they are food for other species of wildlife but I absolutely hate them! I wouldn’t hate them if they wouldn’t bite me.

I have so many allergies, including insect bites. Plus, they carry diseases that are harmful. I don’t appreciate the value they serve even if they do serve a significant purpose.

Bees sting but at least they give us sweet honey!

I think ladybugs are awfully cute and they don’t bite or sting. They are also a farmer’s friend! That’s my kind of bug!
(1)

Blackflies are awful. Mosquitoes too. I am happy that some dandelions are responding to the treatment I gave them. Hoping to get younger grandson here to do a little work in the garden for me, but not sure that is good for him with the air quality as it is.
(1)

I did a quick walk through at the garden centres of the two stores in town that have them, unless they get in different plants I may not be growing anything this year. When I was young we used to get 9 cells of plants, then it became 6, then 4, and the last few years there have even been some 3 cell packs. What's available now are mostly singles - yes they are big and sturdy but its asking too much to pay $5 each for veggies, and they don't have any varieties that I want either.
(2)

Black flies are out in full force this morning, the frost didn't bother them at all. I hate when they get between my eyes and my glasses.
(2)

no doubt it will only make them hungrier....
(0)

cwillie, check the forecast! We’ll still be dipping down into frost territory early next week. 🤬 I hope it at least wipes out the mosquitoes and black flies.
(0)

I can't believe the long weekend is coming up already, that's always been out traditional planting day. I also can't believe the advertised prices I'm seeing for garden soil, at $10 a bag there must be gold dust in there.

I figure that the only way gardening can make financial sense is if you concentrate on crops that are inferior in quality or are overpriced at the grocery store - stuff like any kind of small fruits and berries, organic garlic, peppers, heirloom tomatoes, parsnips. Green and yellow beans are easy and I've been saving my own seed. I tried to grow asparagus but apparently they don't like my black walnut tree.
(1)

Thanks Ana.
I guess they are called peat pots.
Will try celery and chives next.
How tall are your tomatoes? Maybe plant some catnip for kitty?

Thinking now that it is not fair to ask my dH to water daily when I cannot.
He has enough chores. So the planter boxes may be moved to the front porch so I can do the watering. Thinking about it. I will need to push through, because growing some food could be important. Can I think my way out of this and just plant Iris? Hmmmm.

Daughter1930,
There was some grown up parsely-I almost bought it! Tomorrow, I am going to get it! At least there will be the peas, and the parsley for all our work.
(1)

Ahhh…..the green thumb, something I’ve been accused of having for many years. Alas, my adult children now know the truth of my green thumb. When something has the nerve to die, it’s just replaced, thus the green continues, ha!
(3)

Sendhelp, my elder daughter and I are hoping to grow an equally expensive salad. I started sweet corn in peat pots so I can stagger the harvest but my evil kitty bit the top off most of the plants. Only the pumpkins, tomatoes, celery and chives are truly thriving. <sigh> I’m sure rabbits and turkeys are watching for us to put the survivors in the ground.
(2)

Shopping at the Home Depot garden center with dH.
He is wearing a 24 hr. halter monitor so we have already stress-tested his heart, and his chiropractor will love to see him soon.
He is going to really enjoy that $130.00 salad, if it even grows!
The potting soil bags were heavy! Two bags.

Planning to make our own trellis with green wire, green garden twine, and our own bamboo.

The transplant and thinning out the seedlings did not work, so for the rest of the 122 Seed Survival Seed packet, we got some plantable starter cups.

Always read the directions on how and when to plant each kind of seed.
I did not read it, and then I did not believe it, so no lettuce this time.
My thumb is still beige. Keeping it simple, as a form of entertainment/hobby.
(1)

need - I have always loved irises but never been successful in growing them.

ana - that must have been hard!!! Glad you salvaged some. I sure understand your feeling angry.

fedup - you have lots going on in your garden. My rose bushes are barely showing ay leaves and my peonies aren't showing any. Hostas are great but mine are not showing any life yet either.

send - never heard or saw a mocking bird. Keep Tweetie safe.

Soaked the mountain ash and the Virginia creeper. Finished my watering now for a few days. Supposed to be going up to 32 C (90F) Sunday and Monday.
(1)

Speaking of birds singing outside our windows Cwillie, very early morning 4:00a.m., and late at night (11:00 p.m.), there is a mockingbird.

I actually wondered if my parakeet got out at night because the mockingbird was tweeting as part of it's repertoire. It could be mocking my new veggies outside.

My dH said it is a young male practicing his songs to attract a mate.
Wondering when 'just practice' turns to the real thing?

I haven't seen the bird.
(3)

Argh...that would have stung so bad!!!! I can't imagine the destruction!

Thankfully, you salvaged them!
(1)

I transplanted 100+ irises that were bagged and thrown in the trash. Just spread them around a grassless patch of yard and tossed soil on them. They’re growing.

Since you may be wondering why I had irises bagged and thrown in the trash and you’re a caregiving bunch... one recent summer my (dementia) mother became obsessed with my irises, which were planted primarily between our house and hers. They were so pretty. In her mind, they HAD to be destroyed. Not given away. She was relentless and obsessive, digging and pulling and chopping and bagging. I secretly went through the garbage and retrieved a lot of them. Yeah, I’m still angry about it.
(5)

NeedHelpWithMom,

Me too! They make me feel like I have a green thumb 🤣...I literally don't have to do anything with them 🤣. Kind of like hostas🤣🤣🤣🤣
(1)

golden23,

Yes, I love them! Thank you! I planted 8 "Indian Chief" last spring and they've trippled. Full sun seemed to make them thrive. I'll have to split them at some point and give some away myself.

I planted some in my back yard where's there's less sun and they're doing well, but not as well as the irises in full sun.

I was very lucky to get the new ones. I shared some with my neighbor. My husband brought home around 30.

I'm in NJ and my irises just bloomed last week. My azaleas bushes bloomed two weeks before. I'm waiting on my peonies and roses that are just budding 😊

I'll have to look up mountain ash!
(2)

I love irises! We have native irises in our state. They are so pretty.
(2)

fredup - how lovely to be gifted irises. I love them but have never had much luck with them here in zone 2. Hoping yours perk up.

I have just about finished watering the lawns. Now I need to soak the mountain ash and the evergreens and do the warm water fertilizing. The mountain ash needs lots of water. It' s leaves are just showing now. There is one lovely little apple tree up the street covered with white flowers but nothing else is in bloom yet in the neighbourhood.
(3)

I just transplanted some irises and hope they survive. I usually do it in the beginning of Spring, but we got offered loads of beautiful purple bearded irises 2 days ago.

They're flopped a bit and I'm hoping they perk up. Watering with fingers crossed.
(1)

need - you are very fortunate!!!

The beans are doing well, send.

Think on the good things.

'Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.'
Philippians 4:8

Have a good night, send and need.
(2)

We have a fair amount of rainfall here so I rarely have to water the garden.

I am waiting for my plumbagos to bloom. The butterflies and hummingbirds love them! I love seeing the little hummingbirds wings flutter. They are cute little birds. I’m amazed at how fast they flutter their tiny wings.
(2)

Wondering if the garden dirt was purchased at Lowes, still good for you?
I know the answer.

Have a good night Golden!

I love thinking about my planted seeds, even worrying, so much better than thinking, thinking, thinking about narcissists, dysfunctional family, etc.

The bean stalks are growing, about 6" tall. Edited: Not beans, they are the peas.
(3)

Watering the lawns tonight. Everything is so dry and hot days coming up so I thought better get at it. It takes a while to give all areas 30 mins each with the sprinkler. I see others in the street are doing the same. I'm going to shut down for the night soon and start again tomorrow before it gets too hot.

Then there are dandelions that need to be treated. They are loving the water I am sure.

The rhubarb has survived its first winter and is growing despite the drought.

I usually give the Virginia creeper and the hostas fertilizer in warm water to get them started The creeper faces north and is always very slow to get going and the hostas, of course, are in the shade.

Garden dirt is good for you.

"Further research on gardening found it improved life satisfaction and mood. Digging in the dirt really does lift your spirits. The digging stirs up microbes in the soil. Inhaling these microbes can stimulate serotonin production, which can make you feel relaxed and happier."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauratenenbaum/2020/01/29/digging-in-the-dirt-really-does-make-people-happier/?sh=6ae1663031e1
(2)

Yes.
And there is dirt under my fingernails.
Yucky!
(2)

Send,

You have been busy!
(2)

Ahhhh....transplanted the peas, lettuce, spinach and broccoli in clumps but divided them into 4 clumps. There was no way a tiny seedling that small could stand on it's own, smaller than a thin string, it was. It was surprising the woven root system had gone that deep already. (About 4-5 inches, woven together). They all are about only 4-5 inches apart, but I will have wall-to-wall vegetables.

And hot! The broccoli may already be cooked. Hardly noticed it growing there. The dirt in the gal. plastic bottles was approx. 170 degrees, so the plants would not have survived a few more days. Then dH came out, hung up some shade cloth. The 26" wide planter is riding on wheels (the bar-be-que platform) and can be wheeled to the back yard shade in mid-afternoon.

Recovery from the heat and physical exertion may take 2 weeks for me this time.
But yes, good therapy, and fun to see these veges growing.
I used the dirt from the plastic bottles where I grew the seeds. 19 days and I am outstanding in my field, lol. Yes, a farmer.

The trellis plans are in the making. Probably will just use lattice or string tied across the metal trellis, so the peas won't burn on the metal. Cannot put these pots on the ground because of the bunnies.

Solved, so far.

Was that TMI?
(3)

Yes, lettuce is a cool season crop so I imagine it would do best for you if planted in the winter months. I always just plant it thick and snip off the leaves as they get big enough, I can't be bothered trying to coax each plant into a perfect bunch or head.
(3)

Send,

Yes, construct a trellis. My neighbors have clematis plants growing on their trellises in their backyard. So, so pretty.
(1)

3 4 5 6 7
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter