Follow
Read More
2 3 4 5 6
Alva my husbands grandmother was the same way when her cancer came back. She refused chemo and all treatments and lived until she was 90 years old. So 10 plus years from when they said she had cancer again. It can and does happen.

I agree that not getting chemo and other treatments after a certain age should be the rule not the exception. Unfortunately sometimes it's hard to let go of life and people want to keep trying to beat the grim reaper even if it makes them miserable in the process. I think Bob Dole was 97 and he had stage 4 lung cancer and said he was going to undergo chemo. That lasted I think a month for him before he stopped the treatment that he said was too brutal for him to continue and accepted that yes he was going to die.

My moms friends husband had lung cancer and he got treatment and they said we can stop now or try and shrink the tumor some more because it wasn't 100% gone. He opted for more treatment and the tumor shrank but it was in a spot that caused his lung to collapse as the tumor shrank (if I am remembering correctly) and he died shortly after from the collapsed lung not the actual cancer. If he had stopped treatment instead of continuing he might have still been alive - who knows. It seems in this world are chances are 50/50 with anything.
(3)

Prayers for all with or facing the possibility of cancer.

Alva, before I forget to share this, you are the only person besides my mother , that I know has read .Kristin Lavransdatter. It was on the bookshelves as I grew up but in the original Norwegian so I couldn't read it. I got into Bertrand Russell's "A History of Western Philosophy" and other tomes but not Sigrid Undset's works.

Loved "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time".

Breathe deep, stick to your guns and take care. ((((((hugs))))))
(6)

You are a beautiful light on the AC forum. I’ve enjoyed interacting with you. Blessings on your journey…
(4)

Good luck Alva. I would do exactly the same. Know this though: You have already made the world such a better place for so many. May you do this for another 20 years.
(4)

AlvaDeer, I'm so sorry to learn of your health issue. I wish you the very best of medical advice leading to the very best chance of surviving not only for your own sake but so that you can post many more times on AgingCare. I always look forward to your posts and have learned a lot from you. That is a blessing to me as I care for my beloved husband in what will be my last caregiving journey in this lifetime.

Please keep us updated. You'll be in my thoughts, my friend.
(4)

Like you, AlvaDeer, I'm still on this list years after my late brother's passing ended my need for caregiver advice. You'll be in my thoughts this week. Next week is my own test for potentially "reawakened" myeloma (Frankenstein plasma cells). These days I think often of Gilda Radner's Roseanne Rosannadanna. It just goes to show, it's always something.
(3)

OK kids.
UPDATE ....As promised.
Appt with surgeon today, who looks beautiful and about 14 years old, but who had a runny nose due "not to covid" but to her little one in school, so cannot be TOOOOOO young........................
But IS too smart, because pretty much she left this all in my hands.
Which made me instantly trust her.

All my choice.
She said she would do whatever I wanted.
She would do a mastectomy and at 81 with my second probable cancer I more than qualified for prophylactic removal of the breast.
OR
She would do HER recommendation.
Tumor is isolated with no suspicious activity around it.
I am an active 81 year old.
She would removal of the tumor with wide margins, taking no lymph nodes (since I have already refused radiation or chemo and no nodes would preserve my gardening arms in good condition).
She would recommend mammograms yearly after and if another tumor shows up she would remove the breast (but she sees no reason one should since this one took 35 years to show again somewhere if it is even the same histology.)

She recommended (free) genetic testing since this is my second tumor, likely malignant, and I have grandson who may have girl children who wish to know (my own daughters being already tested and heading to 60s fast are negative for any genetic components, but they can skip a generation or two, so doing it for the great grandkids.)

The reasons for no mastectomy pretty clear. Deeper anesthesia, having to be off ASA blood thinning longer, longer recovery, more likelihood of seromas complications with age, complications of anesthesia and on and on and on. And said "You had a mastectomy. You KNOW what recovery is; you had a lumpectomy excision, and you know the ease of it compared".

Then left it to me. Take all the time I like.

Which of course was the charm.
I trusted her.
Lumpectomy with wide margins to be done Feb 21st and you can bet I will be here around then asking you hold me in your hearts that day. It is pretty much a given this is "the alien". Not a good histology expected by anyone. But this is getting it removed, and having a few more years, at 81, to bother the heck out of all of you HERE.

In this stuff, kids, we go with our gut.
It's all we have. We place our bets and we spin the wheel. I am comfortable in this. That's the best you get.
Thanks for all your good wishes. Keep me in your thoughts. Wish for me the outcome I DESERVE. Ha ha. I am VERY comfortable with that one.
Thanks you all for all your good wishes to me, because they mean so much at this time. They honestly do.
(22)

((((Alva)))))So, so glad you have a surgeon that you trust and who gives you those options. She sounds great. Personally, I think her advice is excellent as is your choice. Makes total sense to me, but more importantly to you.

Prayers for all to go very well for you now, Feb 21 and onwards.
(8)

Like Golden I wholeheartedly second your choice Alva. The surgeon sounds like a keeper for sure. I had a similar experience with a breast surgeon recently, tough in my case they were quite sure my little tumor was benign. I opted for lumpectomy rather than just leaving it be, and the surgeon was fully supportive and thought that was a good decision. (Though I still don't understand why lumpectomy nowadays is called "excisional biopsy.") We'll all be thinking of you on the 21st with all our fingers and toes crossed.
(5)

Alva so glad things went well today with the doctor. She sounds really good and really listened to you and gave you pros and cons for both options. All doctors should be like this. Your decision to have the lumpectomy rather than full removal is a good one.
(8)

Sounds like a great common sense doctor who also looks at each patient individually to come up with the best options . You are in good hands.
Sleep well tonight .
(7)

Alva... Big (((hugs))). You embody my Life Goals. If I could communicate in writing with half the eloquence and wit that you do, I'd be so proud of myself. :)

I wish I could face such unsettling, scary circumstances with a clear head and fully accept and be at peace with my choice. Such resilience is outside my personal neurology's capabilities, I think. :)

I love that you manage to keep your humor here, even though I'm sure you're shaken. I admire you.

I will be following your journey into battle with this thing and cheering you on. You're strong; "the alien" has no chance against you. 💗💗💗
(6)

Alva,

I’m glad that you are comfortable with your doctor.

Waiting in limbo is unnerving to say the least. It must be a relief to have a plan in place.

Sending a bazillion hugs your way and I will certainly keep you in my thoughts.

Wishing you the very best.
(6)

Great news Alva to have such a clear well reasoned approach to this particular spot of bother. Wishing you all the best.
(6)

Great news, Alva!!
(5)

I'm so glad that you are not only comfortable with your doctor but with the choice that has been made to have the lumpectomy.
I've been lifting you up in prayer daily and will continue to do so.
God's got this and you!
(4)

Alva, Glad you found a surgeon who you can trust. Wishing you all the best. (((hugs))).
(6)

Such a blessing to find a surgeon that listens and explains well.
(5)

RR, you are so right. I told her that when she sat back and said to me "I will do whatever you ask me to do (re removing entire breast or lumpectomy); first let me tell you what I would do myself and what I would recommend to my mother in your place, and let me tell you WHY". Then she did that. Because she started by reassuring me it was MY DECISION, it made me TRUST her. And in this it is all about personal decisions and trust. There's a lot more involved here than the decision to rid oneself of a troublesome breast. The lumpectomy is one and one half hours of less anesthesia and the mastectomy is more like four with heavier anesthesia; we all know about elders (that's me) and anesthesia. Then there is that I have long standing atrial fib. For a longer more extensive surgery it is longer off my ASA blood thinner, meaning more likelihood of stroke from the fib. Then there the skin healing factor. My first cancer I was 46. I am now 81. Skin is different, doesn't adhere, and seromas are troublesome for years at times when the skin doesn't adhere. She said "You know what it is to heal from mastectomy; you have DONE it" but then gave me the age factors.
All in all I trusted that when the goal is a few more years active as I am, this is the way to go. No node removal as I don't intend to do chemo or radiation so staging unimportant; that preserves that gardening arm a year or so.
Nothing is certain. There's no perfect answer. But when a doctor listens to you in the way you did it forms a bonded trusting relationship in which you can place your bets and spin your wheel at least knowing you are HEARD and a part of the fight for your own bodily health.

SisterMoox, holding you in my heart and hoping for good outcome for you. Hope you will update us. Folks here are a wonderful support in this small community caring for and about one another. They are just the BEST KIND of people.

Ali, you are ELOQUENT ENOUGH!
As to "humor", mine (as was my bro's) is of the rather perverse kind.
As to "clear head"??? Anything BUT. In fact, in the waiting room yesterday I had my second worst anxiety attack of all time. The first/worst was decades ago in the waiting room of a psychologist, first visit when I sat literally ROCKING back and forth and for the first time in my life not caring WHO SAW IT. I mean breakdown time. Trust me, there is no one more a scardy-cat than ME. You know that old Shakespearian thing about the coward dying many deaths and the hero tasting of it but once? Well count me in with the cowards because I suffer 1,000s of deaths. Makes the actual events I am so scared of seem lightweight. And it's why I say that the "Waiting Room" is the worst room in the house.
I pretend strength; maybe some day it will "take". Hee hee. But at 81 what chance is there of THAT. I am so PTSD re docs that the site of a white coat makes my BP fly through the ceiling. My doc won't even measure it until I am leaving the office.
The book isn't it's cover. I am--I must admit to you--a MESS!
(3)

What a huge blessing to find a wise doctor! One who possesses the skill and wisdom to listen and advise based on your best interests instead of that all too often need to just prove something. So happy that you have a plan that you’re at peace with! Godspeed as you prepare for surgery, wishing you all the best
(2)

Such good news and a big relief that this doctor is taking your wishes seriously, Alva. My cousin, in her 70s, recently had a lumpectomy for a cancerous breast tumor and is doing great. I trust the same outcome for you and will keep you in my thoughts until you're on the other side of this.
(5)

Alva, maybe a distraction would help. What's something really fun for you that could be a helpful mental redirection during this time? What about watching/rewatching your favorite comedies? Keep your spirits up and get your mind off things to the degree that you can. The day will come; it will pass. Please take really good care of your mind and spirit throughout. A caring, intelligent surgeon has the big job in this fight covered for you. I hope your nerves ease up. 💖
(2)

Thanks Ali. I think I need to bring a private comedian with me to the Waiting Rooms. I am real good every day life. Don't much worry about it over all. It is doctors. A bit PTSD about them, and while they always turn out to be so nice, and without much a real threat at all, it does require some deep breathing.

Anxiety in such situations has always been my enemy. Believe you me, at 81 I have TRIED IT ALL. Ha ha. I basically get through just reading, doing Sudoku, some breathing exercises, and realistically, how much time do we really spend in waiting rooms? Not much if the docs are on time. I mean the actual waiting room, not the proverbial one that is days long.

I appreciate your insights! A sledgehammer to my head would work as well, and I sometimes think of carry one with me to appointments!
(1)

Best of luck Alva. I have worked long enough to know that treatments can be adjusted when dealing with insurance. I remember before needle biopsies that lumpectomy is very doable. My last one just used a needle for location for the biopsy. What is old is new again.
(1)

Alva,
Such good news about your doc! Such a relief to hear!

Praying for peace for you as you await your procedure!

Big hugs from this coast to your coast!
(3)

Wonderful to read your two recent posts and all the replies. Having a doctor you can trust means so much.
(6)

Alva, “PTSD about doctors” Ha! My daughter is a young nurse, 3 years out of nursing school and halfway through NP program, working in OR in a major hospital center. She says one thing she’s learned with certainty is that she’ll never marry a doctor, and most definitely not a surgeon! She finds the egos to be unreal. Of course there are great ones with out all that in mix, but most she finds rather obnoxious
(3)

Oh Alva, I just read what your doctor said and I'm so relieved for you. I think she is very wise and it's good you found her. I loved that she gave you so much information.

I know someone who had lumpectomy and she has done very well.

Prayers and love to you and please keep us all posted after your surgery when you feel like returning to the computer.

Hugs.
(4)

Alva,
I just read your post that said that you are having a lumpectomy next week. What's the date? Lots of us want to be praying for you. ◡̈

Have you reconsidered your plan for a mastectomy? Did I miss something?
(5)

Alva, I'm so glad you found a surgeon that you trust. Everything you reported she said made a lot of sense. I wish you all the best and feel in my heart that it will go well. Please continue to keep us posted. My prayers are with you.
(4)

2 3 4 5 6
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter