Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
5 6 7 8 9
Thanks Joann,

I spoke to the caseworker the other day about palliative care as a possibility . ( Unfortunately DH has been on the west coast for work but is on his way home now ) . Anyway, the caseworker was going to reach out to the AL about what they were willing to accept a far as ADLs , etc.
In April FIL had to do rehab and walk 150 feet with his walker unassisted before the AL would take him back . The two prior hospitalizations before April he had done rehab at AL but once he got there refused PT after a few sessions . FIL has been his own worst enemy .

His room is the second one off the dining room and I see other residents there that self propel in wheelchairs so we will see . But my suspicion is that AL may not take him back in a wheelchair because he is so uncooperative with care, toileting etc . I can’t blame them . If he can’t do the minimal amount of care he’s been doing mostly on his own then he will need to go to SNF because he will just continue to refuse the AL staff to help him there as he has done for over a year .

I read the doctor’s notes on his hospital portal . Today FIL told them “no more Bipap machine at night and that he just wants to go back to AL”. The doctor notes said They are going to have the palliative team come speak to FIL . DH called me in between flights a little while ago and I told him , and I told him to get back in touch with the caseworker tomorrow . OT and PT evals say to go to rehab.
So hopefully tomorrow will have more info .
(2)

Even in the early stages of Dementia a person can't be reasoned with. Also, you can not expect them to make decisions concerning their care.

What I would do is make sure I am there when the doctor gives results of the tests. Your FIL will only hear what he wants to. Ask questions. I would ask if the doctor thought hospice would be a good idea even palliative care. I would talk to the AL and see if they would agree to having Hospice/Pallitive care come in. If your husband decides Hospice/Palliative is now what Dad should have, this will mean no more hospital visits, no more rehab. See if Hospice will allow some PT at the AL.

Rehab is not mandatory. Its a choice. I know, the discharge person says "We r sending Dad to rehab, here are the choices" not we recommend. My Dad turned it down. I swore after Moms last Rehab, there would not be another. Its a money maker for the Rehab because Medicare pays 100% the first 20 days. I told them there was no money passed the 20days, Mom was discharged on the 18th day. If you feel FIL would do well with some PT get the doctor to order it at the AL.
(1)

notgoodenough, Thanks, I agree it would be helpful if father in law was less stubborn and not have dementia . Maybe then he would be able to see that he’s not going to get better and stop the torture and rest .

I also hope at some point , DH can persuade FIL to agree to a plan that lets FIL rest for the remainder of his days . Or the next time FIL gets worse , that DH is comfortable in just telling FIL he has to go to SNF .

I would like it if the doctor just told him to go to SNF, but not sure that will happen yet.
(2)

I'm so sorry Way.

CHF is tough. It's what my mom had. She did the hospital/rehab/home revolving door for almost 2 years. Had a pacemaker put in; even heeded her cardiologist's desire to have a permanent port put into her arm and try a continuous Milrinone infusion - he told her it would make her "feel better". It didn't.

She finally reached the point where she said "enough is enough" and opted for hospice. She was tired; she could see where the only thing she was doing was kicking the can down the road, so to speak. She knew she was never going to get better. She passed 8 weeks later. Palliative care wasn't an option here.

I can't imagine how difficult this is for you and DH, given your FIL's dementia and stubbornness. I hope you and DH can get to a plan that FIL won't fight you on and will give you some much needed peace.

(((hugs)))
(2)

Golden ,
I agree, hopefully a few more days will give a clearer picture .

DH spoke to one doctor the other day , but not since . That was earlier on and that doctor said he was critical and had called to double check with DH about DNR .

Yesterday while I was there, pulmonologist came in , says they will be doing pulmonary function tests . Doctor LOOKS AT ME and says will probably have FIL use a CPAP machine AT HOME.

I corrected the doctor , and told him that FIL lives in AL. Sheesh !!

DH finished up work early in Cali, is on his way home , 3 airplanes to get back here late tonight . He will see FIL tomorrow and see where his head is at .

Unless the doctors suggest SNF , I think at this point DH will probably let FIL decide what he wants , even if that means he goes to rehab knowing FIL will probably fail and end up in SNF or return to AL for a short amount of time.

It’s a sad situation . I know DH is struggling with this.
(2)

((((((hugs))))) Way. Such an emotional rollercoaster ride. If fil is reasonably competent I guess he can call some of the shots - like going to rehab if he thinks it will get him where he wants to go. Maybe a few more days will see a steadier pattern - that he is too ill to benefit from rehab or he is strong enough to and wants to do it.

You mention that fil said that the doctor says he has to get stronger. Have you been able to talk with the dr and get his view? It might be a bit different from fils.

Hang in there, and look after yourself. He is declining and nothing is going to stop that.
(1)

I agree Fawnby,
Thanks for listening .
(1)

It seems to be up to your husband to make that call, and there’s nothing you can do about that.

I hope husband steps back, thinks it through and comes to the decision not to have FIL repeatedly tortured no matter what FIL says.

I wish you peace in a difficult situation.
(4)

Thanks cxmoody.
(0)

Way,
I’m so sorry that this is happening. Such a frustrating roller coaster.

I recently had a 93 year old family member in the same situation.

Her POA did decide to just let her rest. She came back to her AL, with Hospice on Board.

She passed peacefully.

Such a relief.

I hope it goes that way for your FIL, as well.
(3)

5 6 7 8 9
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter