Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
6 7 8 9 10
drive by for me tonight - found out my thyroid is a bit low - so tired already -need to get into the doc this week if I can - hopefully I will be more alert and have time tomorrow -
jeanne - you are doing very well and it is all normal
lisa -so sorry about ray -but I like his attitude -what huge changes in a year -from one end to the emotional range to the other
hugs to all -I am off to bed Joan
(1)

Diavalon, I agree 100%. Jeanne: how profound your statement, " I've been grieving for 9 years." when our granny ford died, after 7 years living with ALZ, we buried her on Christmas eve. We all came back here to my house. Yes, there was sadness, but I think that time we spent together that evening brought us closer. If that's even possible, because we are a very close family. We celebrated her life that evening. Her passing wasn't a surprise. She was suffering no more. Glad you wrote ac.

And ladies, rays cancer has returned. His numbers are worse than they were. I can't help thinking they just didn't get it all. He will be starting chemo again in January. We all held our breath, because he has said last time that's it. But he told Doug the simplevtruth is, " your mom needs me here. She's taken care of me our whole life together. Now she needs me to take care of her." for the first time since his health and marys has turned, he actually asked me if I can make certain meals. He wants my homemade veggie beef soups, chicken soup. Those two settled well with his stomach last time. So I'll get started on them and freeze portion size bowls in their freezer after Christmas. We are so scared. In just one year our lives has changed for the very very best, and at the same time we've been smacked with some hard realities. It would help a lot if dougs brother would step in and help with all they need, but ya know what? It is what it is. No changing him, but I still love him as we all do. I just think that some people just aren't wired to face certain trials in life. His fears are hard for him to face. Love you gals sooooo much! Lisa
(3)

Jeanne, from what I have seen in my family and friends is this, The basic personality is still there, if you were a loving caring person, it does not change, only
the way you are presented changes a little. My friend and SIL's all lost their spouses to cancer, after the depression of the loss they became the fun loving person again. I believe that our spouses enhanses us but they don't make us.
What I don't like is the labeling that goes with the loss. God Bless and have a wonderful holiday with your family.
(3)

KAW (and cmagnum and any other gentlemen who follow this thread), Cindy Laverty has posted a new article here called, "Losing a Spouse Causes Personality Changes." OMG! Really? I kind of mostly like my personality. And the ways she says it will change are not attractive at all. She says the changes are "common for the elderly". Hmm. When does "elderly" start? Maybe I'm safe.

Is this really common? What has your experience been with the widows and widowers in your families?

I have written to AG and requested a title change to "Losing a Spouse Can Cause Personality Changes." I sure hope it isn't mandatory!
(7)

Thank you Joan.

I know that conventional wisdom says holidays are the worst times for the recently bereaved. That must be true in many cases, maybe most. What I experienced when Dad died was a little different. My family of origin is large and when we get together there are 20 to 30 people and lots of little kids (it used to be our kids and now its our grandchildren). There is so much happy chaos that there really isn't time or energy to miss one particular person. So holidays weren't the worst times. When my sister held a cribbage tournament then it was sad to not hear his funny exclamations. When I'd see something in a store and think how much he'd like that then I'd be sad. Or when I'd have a meal that he really liked.

Back when plans were being made I told the kids to go ahead with whatever suited them and not to count on me, that I had no idea what our situation would be. They picked Dec 24 as the get-together date but they were having a hard time finding a place large enough. (Places we've used in the past were booked.) After Coy died I told them we could hold the party here as long as I didn't have to do a lot of prep. If they wanted decorations they could put some up, just as they would in a rented space. They are bringing finger foods and it will be a game-night party, focusing on camaraderie rather than food or presents. This part of my family is also large. I expect there will be 30 people or more (depending on who brings friends). That will certainly keep my thoughts distracted!

I think that things would be very, very different if this had been a sudden unexpected death -- if Coy and been healthy and died in a car accident, say. (I doubt I'd be able to write coherently in less than 3 weeks after the death.) But I have done my mourning over 9 years. Each holiday I wondered if it would be our last with him. It may be harder for the grandkids this year since they wouldn't have had quite the same perspective. So we'll see what unfolds, but I'm not expecting that the next few weeks will be the hardest time. (It is all hard.)

I'm pretty sure that Coy won't be the elephant in the room. Of course his passing was expected and very different than Gordie's.

All of us who are grieving this year have to do it in our own ways. May we each find comfort in doing what needs to be done.

Hugs to all.
(5)

(((((Lisa)))))) I hope I don't upset anyone with this, but these are my views. Heaven is very real to me. I have had a lot of time to think about it since Gordie died, and also because I had a near death experience just after he was born. I believe the little children are safe in heaven, even if they had some horrifying moments, they are being comforted by the Great Comforter. The families, friends, colleagues, police, etc. left behind are suffering indeed. I know the pain of having a child die at the hands of another, though not in as brutal a fashion as these young ones. Despite the pain, and not in any way to deny the horror of it all, I have seen good come out of Gordie's death. My belief is, as Romans 8:28 says, God can make good out of this. There is so much we do not understand. Why do tragedies like this happen? Why does God allow them? No one has the answers to these. All I can do is deal with what is before me. There is human suffering all over the world. Some of it comes across my path. That, I can respond to. Be it little girls with tooth fairy problems, be it a neighbour in trouble, a teen needing reassurance, lobbying for better mental health care for families, or people here in this website needing support, I can respond. I cannot solve the world's problems, though hearing about them can change me, for the better, or for the worse. I can become hardened by the pain, or more sensitive to distress. I have choices. I already know your choice. Despite the pain you have experienced, or perhaps because of it, you are more sensitive, caring, and loving. May God bless you as you bless others. You have made the right choice.

(((((((marylee))))) . Is your dad in hospital? Have you spoken to the doctors, and or social workers about doing a thorough evaluation of his needs and ability to live alone? Document what has happened and share it with them. I agreed with this disease being demonic, but I would not include that in your documentation. Be objective about what you write down, and show that your dad's behaviours are getting worse, and that he cannot care for himself. Earlier, you mentioned feces. If he cannot care for his bathroom needs, he certainly needs help. Document that. If he is increasingly emotionally abusive to your mum and other family members, document that. Again, be objective in what you write down. Please rein in your emotions as much as you can when you are talking to the professionals. I believe that you will get more cooperation if you are calm. If you anticipate an emotional scene there is more likely to be one – self-fulfilling prophecy. You are advocating for your mum, and for your dad. I know the "hurt child" in you comes to the fore, but if you can assure that hurt child, that you, the adult have decided to stop the abuse to you (which you say you have), and that you are keeping "hurt child" safe, then, as the adult you can do your job as advocate. Is your brother and/or other family members involved in advocating? Work out between you who is the best one to represent the issues and needs. Breath deep, decide to be calm, do the best you can, and anticipate success. There is a solution - keep pressing for it. ((((((hugs)))) and come back and let us know how it goes. Joan

Good morning all! At least it is +3 and not a minus number here. The deer were on the lawn again looking for tender shoots. My cedar has been trimmed again. The snow removal crews have been working since last night ( not sure if they took a break) and there is a huge windrow of dirty snow in the middle of the street that will be removed eventually. Off to get my thyroid checked today. I am wondering if it is high, considering that I am up and at it, before finishing my first coffee. ;-)

Some good news. As well as mother giving me the number of her friend so I can find out about this move, my dd, has invited us to join them and others for supper after Christmas. I obtained tickets for "The Buddy Holly" story, and we will leave for the south from their house for a couple of days in E'town and the dinner theatre. Hopefully we can arrange a Christmas visit to mother too.
Thinking of everyone.
Cat, I know this Christmas will bring up many memories for you, and some "missing".
Jude, do some good things for you - just for you. Not your kids , not your mum, nor anyone else - just for you. You deserve that.
Kimbee - I miss you!! Hope you are managing well. I know you are terribly busy.
Jeanne, I know this Christmas will be very different for you without your beloved Coy. Have you something planned? I remember the first Christmas without Gordie. He was the elephant in the room that no one would look at. I think you will do better than that.
austin - having that tragedy so close to you must make it harder, and you are still grieving over your mum's death. No matter how negative the relationship has been, there is still grief to deal with.
Everyone - love, hugs and prayers, and have a good day. Joan
(7)

you are ALL SO WONDERFUL..I REALLY LOVE YOU..God bless..and i will keep you in my prayers..i had the dreaded call last night. they want to release him. they can't find anything wrong..i feel like..from a biblical prospective..,and i'm new at this..he's demon possessed. he can't take care of himself at all. my brother said, my mother said she feels sorry for him. i am just praying , praying...and will make calls after my 3 hour job in a school with first graders. i am sure that will be an emotional scene. i can't think you all enough..love and ((((((hugs))))))) marylee
(3)

Can't help turning the channel to CNN all day. Hurting so bad for those families.
(3)

Stay strong marylee. You can do this!!!!!
(3)

(((((((judy))))) love u 2
(4)

Hey, Marylee, I'm reading along, not really lurking, but not knowing what to say that would help either. (And, emjo always has such well thought out, comforting advice - I just love you, emjo!). But, I wanted you to know that you're on my mind and I'm hoping that you all find some peace. xx
(2)

(((((((marylee)))))) Don't you dare torment yourself for what you did or didn't do in the past - just learn from it. You have lived with abuse all your life, from the sound of it. I know that scene well. Therapy will still help. I go periodically, as things resurface, or new situations arise with my mother. Work on healing yourself. The situation can come to an end, Your mother can have a safe home. The healthier you get, the better you can deal with all of this, and be of help to her, and in the situation altogether. Thanks for the prayers. They are always welcome. More ((((((hugs))))) and prayers going your way. Breathe deep, Joan
(1)

thanks joan...i know..i can finally say abuse...i sought therapy for years..i know what i saw was wrong..i guess i enabled my mom..by always coming back to the house..to "save" her from him. last night ems and police did take him away..i was hysterical..but as of last month..i said ..i'm finished..and he never tried to call me...joan, i'm heading to church..to seek peace..and to pray this situation comes to an end..i'll say a prayer for you my friend..marylee
(3)

((((((hugs)))))) marylee. There is a solution. This is heart breaking for you, know. I am glad your brother is going to a lawyer. Meanwhile know that you are right to separate yourself from your father. Be sure to look after yourself - you will be best able to help your mum if you are in good shape. Have you sought any counseling? A counsellor may have some ideas of how to best help your mum too. Your mum is a victim of abuse, and many find it hard to separate themselves from it. There is lots of information on the internet as to how to help someone leave an abusive situation. It may give you something positive toi concentrate on. I understand your feelings of helpessness. When I was young I used to separate my parents when they were fighting. It was horrible, and way too much for a child to do, but it did put an end to that session, though more always followed. In my case my mother was the more unbalanced one, though both bore responsibility for the fighting. Hang in there, keep looking for professionals to help, and let us know what happens. Prayers going your way. Joan
(3)

thanks so much!! just had another call..ems there..everyday someone..and my mother is hysterical..my brother meets with the lawyer this week...as a christian..i have to say..this man..who has the name..father..is evil...thank God i've found him...i appreciate your answer..for your being there..for understanding..God bless you my friend..you put a light in my heart tonight..after crying again..trying to overcome the darkness
(4)

thx sharyn

((((((((austin))))))) that would be hard -very hard

marylee - welcome - I am Christian too, and do not believe we have to stay and take abuse. Sounds like a very difficult situation. Have you contacted Social Services, and/or been able to talk to their doctor(s)? It sounds like something has to change. It does sound like APS is failing in their duty. Can you go up a level or two? Could you contact a lawyer who specializes in seniors issues - especially senior abuse? Wishing you some progress in this very difficult matter. ((((((hugs)))))
(3)

wow..this is a great forum...my father, too , has always hated me..and yet i've always tried..now as a christian..i tried again...but after another abusive visit...i said enough is enough..now..my problem, as posted is...we cannot get him out of my mother's home..have had police 4 times this week; protective services..and they keep dumping him back in her home..she, of course at 80 ..won't leave..despite the abuse..2 days ago, he was out in his underwear screaming help...no one will help us...no one...so i'm grateful for everyone out there...God bless you all....
(2)

That shooting was not far from us in CT it is so sad and especially for those little kids who witnessed it all-it is too sad for words-did not feel like going to a party today but I am on the kitchen crew so had to go and it was hard to listen to grips about us running out of coffee or the piece of cake did not have enough frosting on it after all those people were murdured-give me a break.
(5)

Very well said Joan!!
(2)

I am overwhelmed at the grief, collective and individual, that the families, friends, and colleagues affected by the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School are experiencing. They are at the beginning of a very difficult, and painful journey which will last the rest of their lives. God be with them, and may they feel His comfort.
(5)

Beanie: I agree, there are no words to express our grief at such another mass shooting and the little babies that were killed. The adults too. It's beyond horror.
(2)

Hey Lisa, hope you're doing well. That deal about the nurse that got pranked is weird and sad. I'm watching the news right now about the shooting today. What a horrible and senseless tragedy. May all those beautful innocents RIP, and prayers and help for all the families and other people affected. It's just too sad for words to really express.
(4)

Jeannie, I originally thought you were on to something with the coding, however after reading your entire post I think I will not try it. We only buy for the Grandkids now as our own children made this decission so my husband and I live by their own decission, but there are times I wish I was still buying for my kids who are way past children. My baby just turned 30 this year. I think I will stop talking now.
(2)

My mother in law who was crippled and walked with a crutch, moved in with my family for several years when my sons were in high school. She was not mean or abusive, but she was a difficult person. Looking back it is even hard to name any of the things that she did that wore us all down so. It was never anything big, it was just a constant series of small irritating things that seemed petty to even mention. My husband was not supportive at all. When she annoyed him, he just walked out or ignored her. It was not that easy for me.

After she was with us a couple of years, we found out she had a brain tumor, and she passed away a year or so later. Of course then we all felt guilty about not being more understanding.

Years later, I had to assume responsibility for both my parents who had to go into the nursing home. They shared a room. Mother was bedridden and blind. Dad was more mobile but rather frail. They were great parents and once they turned things over to me, they never questioned a decision I made. Dad lived two and Mother five years after they went into the nursing home. During the last year of my mother's life, my older brother became ill and was in and out of the hospital and the nursing home. He had never been married so I had to assume his affairs also. While I never had to care for them physically, I had to take care of their financial affairs and make all their medical decisions. Some of those were very trying. I could have used a site like this at that time. I could have used a KAW group during that time.

My husband had asked for a divorce after 42 years of marriage and so I often felt very alone. My only sister had passed away years before and before my brother became ill, he was no help at all. But all that is for another time.

Thanks for letting me tell my story. It is mild compared to what some of you have gone through, but I know a caregiver's life is like minor surgery. Something is only minor when it happens to someone else.
(7)

Oh Jeanne - that made me laugh!
(2)

About wrapping presents: One year I shopped early and wrapped early. I wanted the pretty packages under the tree. But I didn't want the 4 kids to go poking around too much so instead of names I put number codes on the packages. Come Christmas Eve when it was time to put the real name tags on the presents I couldn't find the list of codes! The teenage girls are twins and the young boys are a year-and-a-half apart in age. So in many cases there were two identical gifts under the tree. I unwrapped a package to see who it was for. Well, it was for one of the boys but which one? Open another package. It was also a duplicate and didn't help be decode the numbers. Open another. Definitely a girl but it could be either. After several more tries I finally opened one that was for the older boy. Whew! So I now knew that code 321 was for Ian and code 863 was for Patrick, and I could rewrap the ones I opened and put the names on those numbered packages. A few more tries and I figured out that Bev was 437 and Barb was 912.

Do I need to say that I've never coded my gift packages again? Ho-ho-ho!
(8)

Vista, welcome and please do tell us your story. It has been, and still is, quite a ride
sharyn - your potato pancake version sounds yummy too
(((((Lisa))))) another shit storm coming - you know it. As long as DQ is on this earth there will be another one. Glad Ray's surgery went well and he got to go shopping. One year I used red and white plastic Safeways bags, put the gifts in, tied them up and, literally, threw them under the tree. No one minded. I was exhausted that year and couldn't face the wrapping. I am old now so I just send money!.I am sure you will plan everything well. Sounds like quite a three ring circus. It is good of you to make special arrangements for Mary -she does need them. Xmas Eve breakfast sounds good. Great that your niece and nephew are included.
I know what you mean about that gut feeling that your mum is about to start flinging it around again, and Xmas would be the time. - For people like her - anything to get attention on her, and upset everyone else. .I think that is what got me yesterday - mother is just too calm about this upcoming move. I know the shit will hit the fan sometime, and Christmas will likely be one of the times. Today, she did give me her friend's phone number, so I can find out what is going on. Prepare yourself to keep your distance no matter what happens. At least she is not in your home now, so you can enjoy that.
cat - so much for my cooking. G called and has an evening meeting, so I haven't done much more to the moose, or the ham bone. They are well cooked, and will keep. I will do up some stew with the moose tonight so he has some to take with him tomorrow. Good enough!

Everyone -let us know how you are

Love and ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) Joan
(1)

Vista bluffer, welcome new friend. Your right. Wonderful friends I have found here. I still have to sit back and just think of how far Doug myself and our girls have come. How at peace we are. I know there's another shit storm around the corner. With DQ it can't be any other way. So what brought you to this site?

KAW: ray had his forehead cancer recovered today. Piece of cake. Out by noon. So he asked Doug if he would take him to shop for marys Xmas. Soooo, more gifts here to wrap. I need to get started or I'll have to give them the bags they were packed in. I'm trying to plan Xmas eve where all my nieces and nephews will be out of here by 6 so we can bring ray and Mary over. No way can Mary handle that many. Last year she was okay with the crowd. I thought of having our day started earlier this year with a Xmas eve breakfast and we can all make the snacks together. It's been rough these past few years making sure they have plenty of gifts under the tree. One niece will take her teenage daughters to their dads and I'll have her come back over. Same with a nephew that comes for dinner every Thursday. They have absolutely no family to go to except us. The family has been kind enough to have us extend the surprise Xmas morning breakfast at ray and marys to include them. I'll get it figured out. I always do. I have that gut feeling again that mom is about to pull a shit storm blizzard by Xmas to ruin it for me. Last 2 I darn near packed all and headed to pil's. Hmmmm...not my problem, not my problem... Love you guys!
(6)

I love potato pancakes!! My version is a little different but same results. I boil 1 large potato with jacket on. Cool it...then peel. I put it in the mixer with one grated raw potato, grated onion, salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. Mix it together. It makes about 6-7 pancakes. By cooking the potatoes with the jackets on, they are very starchy so no need for flour or egg. We like to top with a mixture of mayo and mustard...yummy!!!
(2)

Lisa I recently found this thread and have spent several days reading it. I was just fascinated how you have grown since the first thread just a few months ago. What a great bunch of ladies you have found on this thread, warm and supportive. I laughed out loud at times, especially at the KAW. At other times I had to quit reading while I had a quiet cry.
(6)

6 7 8 9 10
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter