24
Print Email

If we have no burial insurance, how am I going to be able to bury my mom when the time comes?

Asked by  |  Nov 30, 2010

I dont know what happened, my mother has always insisted on insurance for her children or grandchildren, now since I have been caring for her, I have found no insurance policies and have seen no statements for insurance bills. How am I going to be able to bury my mom when the time comes?

Carol Bradley Bursack, Dec 1, 2010

Over the span of two decades, author, columnist, consultant and speaker Carol Bradley Bursack cared for a neighbor and six elderly family members. Her experiences inspired her to pen, "Minding Our Elders: Caregivers Share Their Personal Stories," a portable support group book for caregivers.

If you cannotfind life insurance policiesl, and she has no savings or other assets, you may want to talk to an estate attorney to see what to do. If she has any assets, set aside money now. You can look into pre-payment with a funeral home, but be sure to find out if the money is put in a safe fund where you can transfer it at will. Your state laws may come into effect here. You don't want to be stuck if the funeral home goes out of business.
take care,

takeitez

Give a Hug

Jan 23, 2011

Dee, and anyone else that may be faced with this situation, MedCure assisted our family in a respectful and dignified manner. Yes, some family members did not agree with the decision, however, my mother was a supporter of St. Jude's Children's hospital and was able to request that the "gift" of my father's body go to St. Jude's Medical research. There is no guarantee where they will go. We did not ask to be notified where his remains went. Even if his remains did not go to St. Jude's, my mother was comfortable with the fact that my father just may be helping someone find a cure for another person. My father's driver's license stated he was an organ donor. This also made Mom feel better about our decision and helped us when dealing with the family members who did not agree with the decision. They accepted the fact that he wanted to help someone else in the event of his death. The cost of a funeral and burial would have been a burden on the family. The last thing my parents wanted, was to be a burden to their children. My father was in Hospice care and was not able to make this decision on his own, however, we believe he would have supported our decision as they were living on Social Security income only. Talk to your Mom's health care provider to help you become more comfortable in your decision making. When my father did pass, everything went smoothly and his remains were sent back to us in a box that could be buried and gave us beautiful flowers in Mom's yard. After working with MedCure, my husband and I both have decided to gift our bodies for medical research. Mom has also decided she would like to gift her body too. We would like to help those in the medical field learn and grow. You can research this at WWW.Medcure.org or you can look at other organizations out there. Respectfully submitted, Holly

deloresds

Give a Hug

Dec 1, 2010

If she believes in cremation, and If she would like to help with research, try MedCure. My husband & I have signed up for that, no cost, and cremanes will be returned to family
We've always been for helping with research. Dee

dragonflower

Give a Hug

Dec 1, 2010

It's possible your mother may have an old policy that was paid up years ago and will provide a small lump-sum death benefit.....but if you don't know where those papers are, it could be hard to locate.

I'm sure she receives social security each month. Start setting aside a part of it each month in a savings account earmarked as "funeral account" so when the time comes, there will be money in it. You can actually open this type of account at any bank branch....they can call the account "Mary Jones Funeral Account" with you as the trustee. Since your sisters are NOT helping you, don't even involve them in setting up this account.

Keep the funeral simple.....you don't need to spend $10K to have a tasteful funeral. An immediate burial in a simple box (or cremation) followed by a tasteful memorial service is an inexpensive way to honor your mother.

Believe it or not, you can buy burial insurance as long as your loved one is not dead yet. Buy what you need, and pay the premiums until death comes. Talk to an insurance agent. My Farmers Agent told me this right after my mother-in-law died. We had her cremated for $600, thus avoiding huge burial expenses. BTW, I'm not qualified to sell insurance or give legal advice, so take this information as anecdotal and call an insurance agent. Good Luck, and God Bless You.

denise55

Give a Hug

Dec 1, 2010

Thankyou Dee, I checked out the website. I understand the importance of research and when reading about Medcure it just seemed so.... I dont know, cant explain it. Guess just never believed in cremation. But the bottom line is I almost have no other choice. And at least its all covered and I would have no financial worries, especially since I have given up my job and have no money anyway. I know my 2 sisters will complain, but what the heck they not even helping me now. Thankyou again, I guess this is one of the main reasons for belonging to this site, the advice you can get and knowing you are going through nothing alone, someone somwhere has an answer

LME

Give a Hug

Dec 4, 2010

Some states have (had( special state funds thru the county Welfare Department. The funeral home contacts the county. Please check with your local county welfare department to see if it has any such funding.

dragonflower

Give a Hug

Dec 4, 2010

Yes, the counties do have funds.....but the person has to be poor enough to qualify for Welfare. That's the catch.

denise55

Give a Hug

Dec 4, 2010

Thank you, that never crossed my mind

LivingSouth

Give a Hug

Jan 23, 2011

I understand that the bank accounts are called Totten Accounts. Does she still have a car or furniture that could be sold? Like others have written, maybe some of her social security money could be set aside each month. You can get caskets through Walmart (!) much less expensive than going through the funeral home, but you would have to either store it or have it shipped to the funeral home at the time. You can still get a funeral policy and let them directly take some of her money out each month. It is supposed to be in effect from the first month you pay so they are obligated to honor the policy no matter how long she lives. Around here, just a basic funeral costs at least $3000. Death is not cheap in the US. (I also know a lady who donated her body to a research hospital, but I don't know how your Mom would feel about that.)

Answer this Question

Please stay on topic or ask a new question.

Free Helpful Guides

Home Care Guide
How to find, hire and manage home care.
Get the home care guide ›
Alzheimer’s Care Guide
Learn from elder care experts, caregivers and patients.
Get your care guide ›
Caregivers' Survival Guide:
Everything you need to care
for an elderly family member.
Get the caregivers' guide ›

Woodbridge, NJ

Care Providers
Michael Hegarty Funeral Home
Contact us about preplanning a funeral
VITAS Innovative Hospice Care of New Jersey North
Learn about our end-of-life care
Home Healthcare One, LLC
Speak with us about your care needs

©2014 AgingCare, LLC All rights reserved.  About Us  |  Advertise with Us  |  Sitemap

The material of this web site is provided for informational purposes only. AgingCare.com does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment;
or legal, financial or any other professional services advice. Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.