Follow

My father has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and should be not driving but he does not think he is "that bad" yet. Which doctor do I speak to about completing the documentation for the DMV to have his license revoked and which one will/can complete the documentation to deem him unfit?
His GP is not taking any of this seriously and is not returning my calls. We just saw a Neurologist for the 1st time, and he didn't see the MRI, so he sent us home with a med and told me it's all my responsibility. I am more than willing to push a doctor, but which one is the one that can/will do these things? The GP or PCP (whatever they go by today) told me he doesn't do memory or unfit evaluations and sent me to a different set of doctors who can't see us for 4 months.

Find Care & Housing
March!
(1)

This is a match post
(1)

Who diagnosed your dad with Alz? It seems to me that that is the person to fill out those forms if you can't work directly with DMV yourself. Meanwhile disable the car/remote.
(0)

Please note. that I am not an expert but just a concerned family member like you.

Why didn't the neurologist "see the MRI? " This was the 1st visit. Was he or she given copies of the MRI imaging &/or written report before or at this 1st visit?

Or are you referring to a previous MRI that that this neurologist does not have information about? If yes, then do everything possible to provide the neurologist a copy of the written report regarding the MRI. OR if you cannot obtain the MRI report, ask the neurologist to order a new MRI.

In my experience it is usually the patient's neurologist who decides whether the patient is neurologically able to drive safely.

Once the neurologist has reviewed all the available medical test results & imaging ( such as an MRI of the brain, etc) other medical records, and results of the neurologist's own office exam, he or she can give a diagnosis or at least a " working diagnosis" of the type if neurological issue the patient has.

At that point the neurologist can usually make an informed opinion regarding whether the patient has any neurological impairments that could interfere with driving safely.

In some states ANYONE (not just a doctor) can report a driver as unsafe to the state agency that determines whether to issue people a drivers licenses. This agency probably investigates the validity of the report and tests the reported driver if necessary.

Check into whether anonymous reports of unsafe drivers can be made. Remember that these reports are only for the purpose of protecting the driver and other drivers and people on the road. So complaints should never be made to harass someone for non-driving related matters and there may be bad repercussions for false reports.

Finally, if a person is concerned about their parent's or other family member's or loved one's driving, they can also seek a driver's safety test from an occupational therapy department at a hospital or at a private business (sometimes a driving school) that routinely tests people's driving competency. The private business will of course charge for the test. The occupational theorapy office MAY accept payment by private insurance companies if the service is covered by the driver's policy. If you are on Medicare I suggest the driver check whether Medicare will pay for it.

Good luck keeping your loved one and other people on the road safe. It is very noble of you.
(0)

I think the protocol may vary by state but go to your state's DMV website or call them and ask. This is a global forum.

https://www.agingcare.com/topics/44/driving
(0)

it may depend on the state, but I think you can call the DMV directly and express your concerns about continued driving. They then may call him on for more detailed testing
(0)

Dad's been diagnosed, and you are the one who needs to make sure he doesn't drive. Revoking his license won't help if he still has the keys and the car is still there. Remove the car "for repair." Lose his keys or remove the battery in the key fob. Incapacitate the car.

Letting him continue to drive when you know he has dementia is the wrong thing to do (and could end up killing him or other people).

He stops driving today! Please make it happen.
(3)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter