Follow

A good night's sleep, chocolate, the happiness and satisfaction of sharing on AgingCare forum. Does anyone have some favorite things to think about? Yes, this phrase is from the song in the movie "The sound of Music". My husband and I often resort to using movie lines and song to improve communication. We were the only two in a gathering of people who heard the background music playing. We both had the same (cassette tape/CD). A connection bringing two people together. To this day, we crack up when one uses a simple movie line to make a serious point.
SO, What is one of your favorite movie line, some of your favorite things?

1 2 3 4 5
Dear man-who-doesn't-know-I-have-a-crush-on-him,

🥰 You make my dopamine levels go all silly.

Bundle of Joy
(1)

My favorite things are done one day at a time.
(4)

That's what's so hard also about caregiving. Is that us caregivers are getting old to. And many of are parents are so deep into there own issues and dementia they don't see that we are getting older, and if we let them take over are life we are going to age much quicker.

Im really good at balancing my life , work , rest and play, but that makes my mom angry with me. I'm over that now, but I let her get in my ear and it contributed to me falling apart.

Are little boccie league starts tonight, it makes me pretty sore the first couple of weeks. I told mom I'm going to switch days I come over so I'm not coming the morning after boccie. I know what she is thinking. And she doesn't like at all when I take care of myself, or that I do anything for myself.

But you all have taught me I come first!
(4)

Agreed about limitations as one ages. Used to get carry out ×7/week. Plus huge jugs of iced tea. Remedied that by eating in and making my own tea. You do have to say "No, I cannot do what I used to do." Much to my chagrin - like when someone with zero common sense uses our local food pantry as a Goodwill donation.
(4)

The Amazon box just delivered says on it:
"Aw, another excellent choice!"

I agree with AlvaDeer and Golden!
Two very wise and active women.
They can run circles around me.

I didn't even go outside to see the Amazon box. The photo arrived in my email, and dH brought it inside. I saw it while laying down for a rest, after prepping the pork tenderloins to cook.

Goodnight everyone!
(3)

AlvaDeer,

Here is my schedule of Rules to Honor my limitations:
(Whether one is 62 or 82) They are for me. Each person can adapt them for themselves. If you can do more, then good for you!

Never an appointment on a Monday (because it cannot be cancelled over the weekend.)

If going out (shopping, an appointment) plan it for every other day.
If after the appointment you want to shop, limit it to 2 hrs. max.

Never walk a lot shopping, and then think you can do any gardening the same day. You ARE over-doing it. There is no honor in that. That's for the next day. After gardening one day, take 2-3 days off, unless you hire a gardener for the heavy duty work.

Walk slower. Do not walk over uneven surfaces like bricks, cobblestones, or those beautiful flagstone. You will fall. At our age, it is much too silly to fall just to get out of work or get sympathy.

Drink water. If you get dizzy, or even just a bit tipsy, sit in the garden in shade, don't work in it. Come inside in temps over 78 with sun. Wear a sun hat, and sunglasses. Isn't that what our gardens are for, sitting in the shade?

Does anybody have a fantastic recipe for iced tea, or lemonade? Can you pick some mint from your garden?

Even on days you feel great, follow your limitations so you can feel even better the next day. No one ever said in their last hour, I forgot to pull that one last weed in my garden, did they?
(5)

I agree too!!!

Boy, this CFS/FM has had me learn to accept my limitations, never mind aging. But that too! Some days I can do more, some days I can do a lot less. I keep working my muscles, as well as I can, to keep some flexibility, keep mobile, keep balance. 10 reps. Nah! 3 or 4 might be success some days.

Ya gotta live in the day. It's all ya got!

Laundry's done, dishes need doing (I need a new dishwasher), groceries are ordered, did my stairwalk, floors need doing, plants are watered...and so it goes. The living things get more attention. 🐱👫🌿🌱

I think some "drive" is good "the trying, the keep it going".

I didn't like my posture the other day, so I have started more exercises - just a few reps, but it makes a difference and I feel better. If it's a choice between that and housekeeping, you can guess which one I choose. Not that we don't look reasonably good here and the better shape you are in the easier it is to do the tasks. One day I'll have to hire someone to do it.

Off to do my dishes!!! 🧽🧼🧹😉
(5)

Send, I so agree.
I have had a hard time sometimes admitting what 82 (this year) means.
I want to think I can still do it, and if I STOP doing it, it will spell doom and I will get more and more week and then......................................
The truth is I CANNOT still do it.
Count blessings. I have a 62 year old daughter who tells me the ways her body had started to betray her, the ways that are so shocking to her. And I have told her that I am sorry, but it is an odd comfort to me.

I just cannot do what I did. Today I got up early, 5:45. Pounded away here and on nextdoor and facebook a bit, off I went to getting up and doing the things about the house, then to Trader Joe on the bus and hauled down two bags of groceries about 7 blocks from the T-Joe to the Divis. bus. Then into the garden so overwhelmingly overgrown and in bloom, and in need of a jungle path cut through as I will soon leave it for a month to the partner, who at 83 will be lucky to deal with the last blooms of the cineraria while I am gone.

At one point got wobbly on a bumpy flagstone path. Balance off and tired and I know on long walks now my balance can bottom when I am tired. Better part of valor is to come in. I did so. And it is SO HARD for me to recognize I must.

I feel so lucky. Yet I drive myself to continue, and I ask myself why. I just responded recently to an OP of ours who is, I think, so driving herself because of a feeling that she must be--MUST BE--perfect. And that leads to us having expectations of others as well.

It is live and learn.
If I don't learn I will go down. And as I warn everyone here, a fall is often the beginning of the end.
I hope we will all try to honor our limitations. I keep telling people "You are not God". "You aren't a Saint". And I hope someday I will, in all of my pea-brained-numbness, learn to listen to just a second's worth of my spoutings.

Take care, Send.
(6)

My day just gets better and better. And yesterday was so productive, I can ride on that too.

Who cares how low, how late I got started today.....

It's the improvement that matters, the trying, the keep it going.
I paid some bills.

The food and supplies I ordered are here just now!

Gotta go....
(4)

I think it's sweet bundle, sometimes crushes are a good thing. They give you something else to think about and they can be fun.

Also sometimes you have a crush and when you get to know them your like , well he isn't all that great. 😂

But I'd love to here more of you ever get the nerve up to start a conversation, with your mystery Man

I adore Mathew McConaughey, but heard he doesn't use deodorant. So I'll just enjoy my crush from a far. 😊
(2)

wait, but if he likes me back, don’t shoot me.
(2)

hello everybody,

i'm still crushing on the same person.
someone has to got shoot me, please.

hopeless romantic,

bundle of joy
(1)

oh my goodness, so here i was in a cafe, doodling in my journal (which of course has my name on it), where i write all sorts of private thoughts...and little hearts with that man's name i have a crush on...

then i just got home now, and couldn't find my journal!!!! looked everywhere. got ready to quickly go back to the cafe. and luckillllly (hm, that looks like it has the word "kill" in it), i found it hidden under my computer in my bag.

so 1 of my new favorite things? finding something embarrassing you thought you had lost in a public cafe!!
(1)

dear grandma1954,

i continue with my hopeless crush on that man. yes you called it, cupid shot me.

well, well, well...i'll never tell him. anyway, i meet him again tomorrow.
can someone else please shoot me?
(1)

I love my family. But I love having a night alone to myself. The whole house...watch what I want on TV, eat what I want, do what I want wherever, relish the peace and quite...no commitments, no worries, just me. I also love the rarity of it. Probably wouldn't enjoy it as much if it happened all the time :)
(5)

I never realized how much are services members have sacrificed and given up for us until a few years ago, even more so recently because of my brothers health issues 😔, and my neighbor both will more than likely end up with cancer. And have PTSD. It breaks my heart.

My son signed up for the Marines outta highschool. Started boot camp practice. Found out he has exercises induced asthma. I'm sure there has never been a mother so happy that her son has asthma.

I kept it inside didn't want him to know to much that I didn't want him to join, but it was actually funny, people would say oh that sucks , inside I had the biggest smile 😁
(3)

cd,

All of the women in my family were excellent at all kinds of needlework. I cherish the crochet and knitting that my mother made for me.

My mother, grandmother, aunts and great aunts made beautiful items.

They were incredible seamstresses as well.

My husband’s grandmother did tatting. I don’t know how she worked with thread that fine.

Thread used to do tatting is as fine as sewing thread. Tatting is very tedious. My mother in law did beautiful handiwork too.

There was a woman on Shark Tank years ago that asked seniors in facilities to crochet and knit items that she sold.

She didn’t pay the seniors much for their services. I haven’t followed up on her story to know if she is still selling their products.
(0)

Golden, and other posters who are interested in war history should really visit our WW11 museum here in New Orleans. It truly is a top notch museum.

One of the most amazing things about the museum are the personal stories that have been filmed by the veterans and so much more.

Many of the volunteers are veterans. The artifacts and displays are amazing to see.

I knew that I would be affected by the museum because I have several family members who fought in wars. I was brought to tears.

We took my mother’s brother to the museum to see the exhibits. My uncle was telling so many personal stories as he walked through the museum that visitors started following him around.

Visiting the museum for my uncle was very cathartic. I am glad to see that the WW11 veterans and all other veterans are being recognized for their service.

I saw the Vietnam memorial in D.C. The WW11 memorial wasn’t built yet when I was there. I am planning to see it when I visit again.

My uncle served in WW11, Korea and Vietnam. My cousins buried their dad in his military uniform at the age of 96. God bless him and may he rest in peace.

My nephew went to the Middle East five times when he was serving in the army. He left when his children were babies and his dogs were puppies. When he returned his children were walking and talking and the puppies were fully grown.

Vets sacrifice so much for us. My dad’s brother died while serving in WW11.

I want to visit the museum again soon because they are continually adding new exhibits and holding different events.

Check out the website for our museum. nationalww2museum.org
(0)

Thanks Nancy, I love history. Maybe I can travel some places in the states at some point to see some Civil War battlefields?

I like sweets and have been craving some good chocolate chip cookies or white macadamia nut (my favorite). I also love the original Oreos.
(0)

Ana - good for you!!! 🏒 🍁

nacy - my father fought on WW! He told some amazing stories.

cd - what a great idea. She'll love it. I haven't crocheted in years.
(1)

I love crocheting and hoping to start working on one of my granddaughter's memory quilt with her old baby blankets.
(3)

😊, that's wonderful Anna that you can get back to what you love. Keep us posted on how it's going
(1)

My favourite sport is ice hockey.
After having been benched over 4 years due to caregiving responsibilities and injury, I have returned to my team.
Why yes, I am Canadian.
(3)

We have a lot in common doggiemom, I'm a war history freak too. Actually live right where the revolutionary war had a huge turning point, and went in are favor. My father was a huge revolutionary war buff. But I like the civil war mostly, there are still a few houses with tunnels in them for the underground rail road. I like to read historical fiction or non fiction the most. WW11. One time I was so excited because I meet a man ,who's mom wrote a famous book about the Holocaust. Just some stranger I was chatting with one day, and it was one of my favorite books.

So yeah I'm a little weird too. I also like bugs, always have they amaze me. Getting into birds now, seems to be what you do when you get older.

Butter pecan

Queen, Meatloaf, and Cindy Lauper! Oh can't forget Fleetwood Mac
(1)

I am glad to have found this thread! I love animals, well except for snakes and creepy crawlies! I love anime and am a history nut (The Civil War, WWI, WWII, and Vietnam are my favorite). I love a great book and am like to write. I like to play chess. My favorite food is pizza but I also like steak and most Mexican food. I do have a sweet tooth and love chocolate and I also love ice cream my favorites being Mint Chocolate Chip, Cookie Dough, and Rocky Road. I love my dogs, but I also like cats (yes, I like both lol). I am that weird person who likes birds, rats, gerbils, hamsters, chinchillas, etc. My favorite wild animals are wolves and tigers. I have too many different types of music and movies to name!

I also love vanilla and cherry scents. I love the sound of rain and a crackling fire but also find grasshoppers chirping and cicadias (as long as it's not a swarm, lol) soothing. I do love BBQ as well and the beautiful sunsets in New Mexico. I love the mountains and I guess I would say 80s music would be my main thing. I do love theater as well.
(2)

thanks grandma1954!
(2)

Bundle...
Nothing is "hopeless"
maybe the "shots fired" could be from Cupids quiver.
(3)

have developed a hopeless crush on someone.
(he's single, like me)
(i'm definitely not going to tell him.)

someone shoot me please.

thanks,

bundle of joy
(1)

Amen! Send, I too am thankful for the empty tomb.
(5)

Thankful there was an empty grave!
(5)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter