So anyway, most of you know my exes family is completely crazy. I found out today, that his mom received a check for $25k for his fathers death. She is not cashing it because she will lose medicaid. I am already mad today because I got a call from Lifeline at 4 am today because she was stuck in her chair and they refuse to take me off the call list without her permission. I am spending alot of money on lawyer fees fighting this patient right crap and her putting my name on things without permission. The familys philosophy is she doesnt have the money because she didnt cash the check. Is it wrong to turn her in for the money? It should go for her care not the d@mn casino

Ah, not just crazy ... but into fraud against the government.

I would turn her in.

The entire reason i found out about the check is she called my mom because my ex told her my mom is getting a new roof . She asked if she could have the receipts for materials to give to medicaid as a "qualified expense" so she can keep her money. I should add my mom is furious and texting me all day over it

If she doesn't cash the check, how will she benefit from having it? If she doesn't cash it she will not have the money and eventually the insurance company will. I know you've said that this family is crazy. Is this evidence of the craziness? Does she think reporting the check will kick her off Medicaid forever? No. Just until she has spent the money on her care.

I approve of paying taxes for Medicaid. I'm not so crazy about paying taxes to benefit an insurance company.

This whole situation is crazy!

Well, if your Mom doesn't cash the check then the insurance company will benefit.   There are time limits on how long a check can sit without cashing it... usually 90 days or 180 days.

But I can see your point.   There is $25k that your Mom can use for her care instead of the taxpayers paying her way.

I'm confused about the casino... if Mom doesn't cash the check then she can't use it at the casino.