I realize you all don't know for sure, but with everyones expertise, I am wondering what stage my mom's dementia would possibly be. She makes very little sense with talking and wants to stand all the time and hold my hand or my sisters and seems fearful and worried and does not want to be alone. She is continent of bowel and bladder, eats very little, mostly ensure plus or some soups, but losing weight all the time, now down to 68 lbs., only 5 feet and petite. Wants to walk a lot, but also wants us always with her, calls all my sisters name as my sister has always lived at home with my parents. She cares nothing of any type of activity, tries to sing some old songs, but nothing else, used to like to fold clothes, does not care about this now, knows no pictures of family or her parents as used to. Thanks so much for any ideas.

I really like this three-minute video explaining the progression of Alzheimer's disease:

youtube.com/watch?v=Eq_Er-tqPsA

The progression depicted is ONLY application to ALZ. But it emphasizes that the progression corresponds to physical changes in the brain, and that is true for all types of dementia.

For example, my husband had Lewy Body Dementia. That also involves misfolded protein, but in this case it is a different protein and it doesn't spread in the same pattern as it does in ALZ. The video shows that hallucinations happen fairly late in the disease, whereas in LBD that area of the brain is often attacked first.

But in the end stage, most dementia patients have very similar experiences, leading to their death.
Reply to jeannegibbs

Am I remembering correctly that your mom is on hospice care? She is most likely in the end stage of her dementia, no matter what type it is. The hospice nurses have experience to give you more specific answers, but they have no crystal balls, either.

This is so hard! Hugs to you!
Reply to jeannegibbs

helpingmom1, I found this article that will be helpful. The different Stages of Alzheimer's. Note that Alzheimer's is the most common dementia.

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/stages-of-alzheimers-disease-118964.htm
jeannegibbs May 31, 2018
It is good of you to find Aging Care articles about topics posters bring up, freqflyer.
(1)
I want you to realize that end stage can still last a long time. Generally there is no time frame and people can also pass from many other health comorbidities. I will say that when weight loss was an issue in my local support group that longevity was down to just a few months