My mother has Emphysema and is declining fast. We are trying to figure out the best option for her. Moving in with my brother and possible get assistance or put her in an assisted living place.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Achapp, does your brother live in the same State? If not, then Mom would need to apply in the new State for Medicaid. Medicaid [which is different from Medicare] doesn't cross State lines.

JoAnn is correct when saying that your Mom will not lose Medicare or her Social Security. Those two items stay with Mom for the rest of her life, she will never lose them.

Since your Mom is on Medicaid, depending on her State depends on what programs are available. She might be able to have an Aide come out a couple days a week for a few hours to help out. As for Assisted Living, Medicaid may or may not have a Waiver program where they will pay part of the payment and Mom pays the rest.

Otherwise, if Mom needs a higher level of care, she would need to move into a nursing home which Medicaid will pay for all of her care. If Mom owns her own home, Medicaid will place a lien on the house so that they can be reimbursed. Or your Mom can sell the house, and Mom be self-pay for awhile, even in Assisted Living depending on how much equity is in the house. Assisted Living average around $5k per month, depending on the area.
Helpful Answer (0)

Your Mom will not lose Medicare and SS because she earned these. SNAP she may lose unless your brother is getting it. You need to call her Medicaid rep and run her coverage by her. Same with SNAP.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter