My mom is in a short term facility and she could go home but they want to send her to a long term facility since she is on Trach. She has a home and I want to protect that. I do plan to transfer her home into my name after reading some questions and answers. Still need to know will Medicare pay for long term care? Will Medicare try to take moms home? It seems as though I haven't been told correct information and I need to know. Because if I need to take my mom home I can. We can get training on Trach. HELP.

Medicare will not cover 100 days at 100%. And if she reaches a plateau, she will then either have to go home or be placed permanently. Medicare will not pay anything past the plateau.
Reply to gladimhere

Medicare is health insurance and covers stays in rehabs (not fully)and homecare involving OT ( occupational therapy) PT (physical therapy). And other things. Medicare does not get involved with personal assets.

Medicaid is for longterm care and does expect assets to be spent down if you want them to foot the bill for care in a Nursing home. The home also receives any SS and/or pension towards a persons care.

Looks like shad250 understands what you were told. You really need to talk to the Social Worker to understand what it is Mom will need. There are many LTC and rehab facilities that won't take a patient with a trach because of infection. So make sure you and Mom understand everything. Ask questions. Don't assume.
JLMJMM Sep 9, 2018
Thank you so much for not assuming and answering my question. Many will read as I read others and it will be helpful in good way. Again Thank You
(0)
Yes, Medicare will. The people who talked to you, probably meant LTACH (Long Term Acute Care Hospital). This hospital is a "bridge" between hospital and/or home or nursing home. The stay is usually 30 days with increased emphasis on getting the patient as independent as possible. She and you would learn how to take care of the Trach if it is permanent

Medicare will pay, with no extra cost from her, if she is transferred directly from acute care (which seems to be your case), or admitted to LTACH within 60 days from being discharged from inpatient hospital stay.

A determination on what to do next, would come after her time at the LTACH would be done.
Reply to shad250
JLMJMM Sep 9, 2018
Thank you for your answering we are at the LTACH now. They were at this facility you are correct.
(0)
She has a trach, so is she able to walk? Is she able to self toilet or bathe? I assume she maxed out at 100 days. The future for further rehab looks grim. Are you planning to be with her all of the time, give up work, or hire caregivers? In home caregivers will cost more than a facility. She still requires specialized care. With a trach there are fewer options on where she can stay. Once discharged Medicare will provide some services but not her living arrangements. Gladimhere is correct. It sounds as if she will not be able to stay at home. Her assets are supposed to be spent down first before us taxpayers pay for her care. That is the way it goes.
You cannot transfer her home in your name as there is a 5 year lookback. Medicaid will deny her long term care until the estimated expenses equal the value of her assets from the past 5 years. And they will find out. You can calculate that against the monthly costs of long term care to the property value. Excluding the usual monthly income, if the home value is 100k and LTC IS 10k/ month, then Medicaid will not kick in for 10 months.
shad250 Sep 8, 2018
LTACH would access her ability to do this. She would be seen by physical therapist, occupational therapist and speech therapist to name a few, as well as someone who would explain to her and/or her daughter how to deal with the Trach as long as she has it.
(0)
So you mean Medicaid? Medicare will not pay for long term care. Medicaid will not pay for long term care if you transfer the house into your name without paying full market value for it. Is there a reason that you feel the taxpayers in this country should pay for her care?

Sell her house and use that money to pay for her care. Do not transfer any of her money to you. Google Medicaid look back and MERP - Medicaid Estate Recovery.

Sorry, but her assets, yes all of them, are for her care.
Reply to gladimhere
shad250 Sep 8, 2018
She means Medicare
(0)