My husband had to go into a nursing home while I was operating as his payee. I rely on his SS income to pay for my rent, health and other necessities because my SS in not enough. I paid roughly $2500 towards his expenses while in the nursing home, whereas, his income was around $16000. The SS administration was asking what I did with the difference so I wrote them a letter explaining my situation. I have yet to hear back from them. I am concerned they may require the difference. Does anyone have any advice that could help me alleviate this issue? Thank you!

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
Is/was your husband on Medicaid?

When you do get a response from SS, if it is not satisfactory, contact your Area Agency on Aging (or whatever your state calls it) and ask for suggestions for legal assistance.

If your husband were receiving and spending his own SS checks, he would spend them as you did -- to support you. Paying your rent and necessities is what spouses often do. It should not seem suspicious to SS. Now, if you were his niece and using his money to pay your rent, I think that would be be different. So I hope the response you get will not be disturbing.

Let us know. Many others here are representative payees.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter