Why is my mom cold all the time?

My 90 yr. old mother is living with my husband and me. She has her chair by the sliding glass door which I like leave open for fresh air and a cool breeze, but not too cool. She is always cold. With summer coming I like to open up the house in the morning. It doesn't help when I have hot flashes and I'm just warm all the time. Why is she so cold all the time? Even when it is hot. She does take a lot f Tylenol for pain. Could that be it or is it something else. I hope someone has an answer because I am ready to move her to assistant living. She does have dementia, maybe the 2nd stage. But she drives me crazy sometimes. I have a choice to take in my grandson who is 10 yrs old with ADHD, bipolar and depression. Which would be worse to deal with? I also have mild depression. Thanks and have a great day

25

Answers

1 2 3
smoking could do it when she was younger mine did & she is cold ..i say your furnace is broke need a new one i wish .well smoking makes her blood vessels shrink bad circulation .maybe get her a electric blanket & keep it on low or where she wants it but make sure she is ok ...

I was reading about heat rash that it is caused by clogged sweat glands. She has the red type. I am going to have to give her sponge baths on the area to help the glands unclog, and try to prevent the sweating in the future. I think I've convinced her that too many blankets are just not good - because of the effect of sweat not being able to evaporate. Will let anyone reading who cares to know how the treatment goes.....

Sounds like her internal temperature is up and down, as is my Mom's. With her memory problems, she doesn't remember that she was hot or cold previously, just how she feels "right now." It is very challenging, I hear you. What helps me is prayer. I don't think we can really know how it is with them, but chances are, they really do not know how their issues are affecting others, not really - even when explained - they live in the present. And now my Mom is calling ME. Hang in there, keep being kind. You'll be glad in the end.

If only that would work. She would hear the AC wasn't turning off and come to me about it running all the time. She tells me it runs all the time even when it doesn't. The first thing she would do when she heard it wasn't turning off would be to tell me to call someone about the thermostat because it isn't working right.

Jessie, I wonder if you could have a guy friend put in a "thermostat" in your mom's section of the house. It wouldn't be connected to anything, but she could play with it to her heart's content. I think these things are more mental than actual physical comfort. So let her have total control over a fake thermostat. :)

The only help I know for heat rash is corn starch baby powder.

My mother is cold in the morning and, being diabetic, is too warm in the evening because her sugar goes up. She is always saying to turn off or turn on the AC. I try to keep it on 80, but she pushes up the thermostat even when she says she is hot. Sometimes she pushes it up, then turns on the fan. A box over the thermostat would be nice, but there would be no peace in the house.

I do have a belief that has come about after 8 years of suffering through the thermostat wars. People and animals in the house with an older person should not have to suffer to keep the elder comfortable. Compromise is necessary, but the compromise has to be on both sides. Sometimes the caregiver has to enforce the compromise when the elder wants things their own way. Caregivers do not owe their health to the person they are helping. Living in a hot house is bad for the caregiver.

... As if on cue, my mother just walked by and pushed up the thermostat even though the AC is not on his her section of the house. It is a control issue with her that is very much like contempt for her daughter. I really do worry about the woman's immortal soul, since I go out of my way to be kind even when I have to grit my teeth and fake it. (And no, it's not only the dementia.)

I am grateful for this original question and answers (even if the original is over 2 years old). The problem is an ever-present one for the aging population and their caregivers. I came on to see if anyone has a solution for heat rash. My Mom insists on me piling on her blankets (including a down and an electric, as well as three others) and wakes me throughout the night to adjust them. Yes, it is difficult. I had to take time off from work because getting up with the 'work alarm' after such a night was hellish.

Because she hates anything confining, any bra we've bought her that might have some chance of elevating her bosom is unwanted, so she goes braless, but the problem is that she is getting heat rash under the fallen breasts from all the sweating that inevitably happens (even with all-cotton tops) because of the blanket pileage (not a word, I know, Grammerly) because she is always cold! Oy vey. Nice to know I'm not alone at least. But does anyone have a solution for heat rash?

she has dementia too oh she is 80 now be 81 in a few days ...

i wish we can buy moon suits so they can keep the temp they want but they might over cook them selves my mom breaks out in sweats or she is cold when she does work which is not much she gets hot . getting old has to really suck .i dread it in time oh well maybe i will be able to have a moon suit by then !!!!!!!!!!

My mother lives with me (she's 80). She is always cold as well. I bought her a room heater. Even in the summer she will use it in the evening along with her afghan for her legs. I don't have to die of heat and she doesn't have to freeze. It works for us.

1 2 3