COPD end stage. End stage Kidney disease

If the doctor orders the stair lift, the person for whom the stai flift is ordered can take it as an itemized deduction on her/his taxes, assuming there are enough medical deductions in the year to itemize them. I'm familiar with this process because I did it for myself when I was legally disabled. If your stairs go straight up and down, you may be able to purchase a used stair lift for your wife, which would be quite a lot less expensive. Laeger compaines that sell and install stair lifts sometimes also sell and install used stair lifts. If it has to go around a curve, than it has to be custom-built.

I did not try to get funding for my stair lift, and it was not suggested to me. My guess is it's not going to be paid for, although I hope I'm wrong. In my case, my doctor told me he would not continue to treat me if I didn't either live on a first floor or have a stair lift. Stair lifts are generally very expensive, altough the deduction helps--but it won't be there until tax time for the year in which you purchased it. You might be able to check with some companies that sell stair lifts to see if they know if there any sources of funding. My guess is that you are going to find that you need to live in a one-story house, or in a n apartment that has an elevator. You also definitely should have someone come out to assess whether your staircase can actually be fitted for a stair lift: not all stair lifts can because of space considerations. In my case, I could have one, but I had to get off and step down to the floor--there was no space after the bottom stair. If you cannot fit a stair lift into your house, then the funding request is superfluous.

Good luck!
Reply to caroli1

Http:\\www.acornstairlift.com

it is out of pocket..not covered by insurance
Reply to CaregiverL

I did not try to get funding for my stair lift, and it was not suggested to me. My guess is it's not going to be paid for, although I hope I'm wrong. In my case, my doctor told me he would not continue to treat me if I didn't either live on a first floor or have a stair lift. Stair lifts are generally very expensive, altough the deduction helps--but it won't be there until tax time for the year in which you purchased it. You might be able to check with some companies that sell stair lifts to see if they know if there any sources of funding. My guess is that you are going to find that you need to live in a one-story house, or in a n apartment that has an elevator. You also definitely should have someone come out to assess whether your staircase can actually be fitted for a stair lift: not all stair lifts can because of space considerations. In my case, I could have one, but I had to get off and step down to the floor--there was no space after the bottom stair. If you cannot fit a stair lift in your house, then the funding request is superfluous.

Good luck!
Reply to caroli1

Try your local county Department of Aging and Disability or what ever name it goes by where you live.

I know the one where I live has a list of charities and community service organizations that offer grants and other assistance for things such as what you need for your wife.
Reply to Rainmom
mikkimball0664 Jun 16, 2019
I agree. The Office on Aging in my county will even build a bathroom for you on the first floor of your home if your condition warrants it
(0)
Mobility. com has some helpful suggestions for where to find funding for it. I have never been through the process but it's my understanding that medicare will not fund it. Here's a link I found online, = https://101mobility.com/blog/how-to-find-stair-lift-funding/
Reply to faeriefiles
Martha007 Jun 19, 2019
Thank you for the information. I am in the same situation with my husband. His mobility has been declining. He has Lewy Body Dementia.
(1)