I am not looking to be paid for more than 30-40 hrs. (not looking to be paid for keeping her day and night). Just maybe for the couple hours in the day. I just need to know is there any type of assistance for helping out.

Since the old lady does not accept that she needs a nursing home or care, our case manager is called a "nursing home transition specialist" so im assuming it is a tactic they use to get her in a home.

tacy022, 14 paid hours of caregiving per day from Medicaid? Wow, wonder how the State can afford to pay that?

And shes on waiver

Im in michigan and they will provide agency help as long as client approves it. I guess thats where alot of my frustration comes from. My boyfriends mom wont approve it

Tacy022, I never heard of that. What State and what program offered such a salary?

Medicaid will pay for an elder to reside in a continuing care facility because it is far cheaper than having 2 or 3 shifts of caregivers being at a person's home.

Chaichai, what state are u in?

Im confused pam, our medicaid waiver coordinator offered 22 of 24 hours a day while old man is in facilty. Because of toileting needs, we were offered overnights all the time. Is it a state to state thing. Without the old man in nursing home and hospice we were offered 14 hours of paid caregiving a day...which was refused.

Oh I think it would be great if a person could be paid for all the hours they work to take care of their parent or grandparent or aunt or uncle or spouse or elder family friend. But the money would need to come from the taxpayers to foot the bill which mean our taxes would go sky high. The general public will never vote *yes* to higher taxes.

So instead the States and Federal Government offer Medicaid to help in situations like this, where Medicaid will pay for nursing home care which is less expensive then paying for 3 shifts of caregivers at home. Some States Medicaid offer programs to give a caregiver a small minimum wage salary for a few hours of work.... as we all know caring for an elder means eventually working 168 hours a week.

If your State does offer a salary for caregiving, please note it will be minimum wage and only a few hours per week. And that is before payroll taxes are taken out.

Now, could the patient pay you to be her caregiver from her own retirement fund? If yes, then you would need to prepare an employment agreement so that later down the road if the patient needs Medicaid, said monies paid to you wouldn't be considered a gift. Yes, it can get complicated. Plus your patient would need to add a "workman's comp" rider to her home insurance in case you get hurt on the job.

You are already paid for overnights? 8 hrs 7 days a week is 56 hours. That is already more than Medicaid would pay for . I'm guessing she is not on Medicaid either.