My wife is about to exhaust her benefits under my primary hospitalization insurer for her stay at an acute rehab facility. If it is determined she needs more rehab, how do I go about bringing in Medicare to offset the costs?

My mom had copays based on their policy. For her 2 hospitalization and rehab her out of pocket costs were $3000 each. You should check her policy. It could be her share of copay for the diagnosis she received at admission. It could mean hospitalization plus rehab or just hospitalization. You can also inquire by calling to 800 phone number on her card. Talk to her social worker.  Options include paying for more rehab or take her home with Medicare extending the OT and PT.  Someone may be at home with her for assistance or you will need to hire some additional help

Thank you for your response. Maybe you can answer this: what is it that I read about that Medicare charges a co-insurance amount of $1380 for up to 60 days. Do you know what this refers to?
Reply to noebro

She has Medicare as secondary? The primary has paid everything? If so, then the facility should revert to Medicare. Call and talk to them. Be aware that Medicare only pays 100% the first 20 days. 21-100 only 50%. After that its private pay. If you hit your limit with primary than u will owe the other 50%.

Yes, Medicare is her secondary. But does Medicare start a new benefit period when she is discharged to a sub-acute facility after her primary stay benefits are exhausted?
Reply to noebro

I’m confused. Does she already have Medicare? If so, wouldn’t your insurance be her Medigap or supplemental insurance? You need to discuss this with the social services department at the rehab. When my husband was in rehab, they handled all the insurance stuff for us.